Windows 10 Desktop gadgets/Live tiles

SmilerOnline

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have 'W10 TP Build: 10074' installed on my desktops secondary drive, but still I use 'W7' as my daily driver, and I can't imagine myself switching to W10 as my daily driver upon release because I would like to still have access to that information which I currently get from my desktop gadgets/widgets.

I'm sure that some might say just open the start menu and view the info from there, but I would personally like to simply put a weather tile on my desktop and CPU/RAM usage monitor and news feed tile to keep me up to date on the latest stories being published by Mobile Nations ;) and also a small tile to display how many unread emails I have in my inbox.

Some of the info might not be so important to see all the time on your desktop or there may be other ways to get this info always available on the desktop, but I would still like the option to enable this in W10.

If live tiles were to be a successor to the old style desktop gadgets from Vista & 7 there should be no need for the live tiles developers to make any changes to their live tiles code as the only difference would be that it is in a different part of the system UI.

And also if live tiles were to be supported on the desktop, maybe Microsoft could make the tiles and desktop icons aware of where the others are positioned so that you don't find icons to be hidden behind your desktop widgets/live tiles.

I know its only a small thing, and some of you may think that this is crazy, but I would at least like the choice to use a feature like this in the upcoming Windows 10 desktop experience.

Would anyone else like to see the option for live tiles to be displayed on the desktop?.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Gadgets have been discontinued because of their security vulnerabilities, and Microsoft urges users to stop using them. If, however, you'd really want them back you can find ways to reinstall them (link pending; can't find).

I understand the desire of placing live tiles on the desktop, but I don't think it's a great idea. I prefer just pressing a button to show a quick glance to my important live tiles, then pressing it again to return to my current workflow, (or a nice, clean, uncluttered desktop). Plus the desktop could be hidden by windows. Show Desktop would show said desktop live tiles, but that's the same amount of 'work' as pressing the Windows key.

John O1

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you are, I have my gadgets installed on windows 10 for the same reason (weather gadget, cpu/ram usage, etc) the program that enabled you to use gadgets on windows 8 works on windows 10. Being able to pin tiles to your desktop would be a nice feature as I run dual monitors and I always have my desktop on my secondary monitor.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I would love to see live tiles working as gadgets in Windows 7. That is among the reasons that is holding me back from upgrading to Win10 on my main PC.
I have my open windows always configured so that I can see gadgets on one side of my screen at all times, it would be a huge step back to lose that and have to go to start menu to see live tiles.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
.......Plus the desktop could be hidden by windows. Show Desktop would show said desktop live tiles, but that's the same amount of 'work' as pressing the Windows key.

It is easy to configure you desktop windows to open so you always see the gadgets on one side of the screen, so its not the same amount of work, because if you have a big enough screen, 17" would do, then you can see a column of gadgets at all times no matter what you do.

Mihai Voicu Drebot

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I would be fine if I could replace the gadgets with tiles. The thing that bothers me most often is that when I'm doing something full screen on the main monitor, i cannot see the time on the second one. There is no clock in the task bar, and now there is no gadget on the desktop. Usually when I play a game, or watch Youtube or whatever, I like to be able to keep track of time.
To me, tiles can replace gadgets if i can place them on the desktop, wherever I want. The best thing would be to replace icons with live tiles, but still let me move them where I want, not in a grid like the Win 8 Start screen. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre