Windows 10 apps on PC. Why?

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm really enjoying windows 10 but I'm having the hardest time figuring out the value of having a lot of stock apps. A lot of them don't seem to respond to keyboard strokes and are slow or limited. If I open a few picture files the photo app will load then open my photo but I can't press the left and right arrow keys to browse the photos. I can't seem to find a button that stretches the photos to actual size instead of screen size. This is the default photo viewer as opposed to the picture viewer that doesn't have to wait to load and responds to keyboard presses. Xbox music loads and plays songs when you double click it but for some reason doesn't display the now playing file by default so you can actual go through the files you selected to play. Mean while windows media player does and it doesn't have to load but windows media player isn't the default program. Skype app comes stock even though the Skype program has more functions. I have office 365 and I'm really not finding any benefit of having the apps compared to the office 2013 suite that comes with it. Seems like Microsoft is being a bit confusing on what it's offering to us desktop users and also what's meant to be the most flexible program/app.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
If I open a few picture files the photo app will load then open my photo but I can't press the left and right arrow keys to browse the photos. I can't seem to find a button that stretches the photos to actual size instead of screen size. This is the default photo viewer as opposed to the picture viewer that doesn't have to wait to.

You need to understand that this is still a technical preview/beta of Windows 10. I know what you mean by with the photos app. It happens to me too. You have to let it load for like 10 seconds or so and then image loads and the UI/controls load. Again this is all to be fixed before the final version of Windows 10.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
...and of course you must understand that a lot of those "stock apps" are geared toward touch/tablet/mobile users, where desktop users are obviously free to install or use more full featured versions of their favorite desktop applications. Yes, the "Metro" versions of Skype, (Xbox) Music, Photos, etc. are more simplified for touch usage on say.. a Surface tablet or the like.

anon(7937399)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
One perspective: sometimes less is more. I had TeamViewer Desktop installed, and it wanted to inject addons into Office 2007. Wouldn't use them; I use TeamViewer for remote access and not for meetings. The Touch version doesn't, and does just what I want it to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes