Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We live in an age where everything is, "gimme, gimme and gimme now".

..which is exactly what Microsoft should be capitalizing on. It's what Apple and the Android OEMs use to their benefit. Right or wrong, that's the way we are.

By the time the first W10 flagship comes out, it will have been almost 2 years since the last WP flagship (2 years is speculation; we don't yet know when the first W10 flagship is arriving). There should have been a flagship in the middle.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Since everyone seems to be weighing in on this, I figured I may as well too. I'm one of those people who generally likes to get the latest and greatest but you need to take all factors into consideration. First, I'm generally happy with my 1520. Sure, it would be nice to have something better, but not if they are planning on incorporating specific hardware that requires Windows 10 to be taken advantage of or even work at all. I would hate to get a new phone now just to have a slightly faster processor or whatever and then 6 months from now have the hassle of trying to sell my phone and pay it off and then get another.

Secondly, Microsoft controls only around 3% of the smartphone market. Of these, the vast majority are low-end phone users. These users use WP because it meets their requirements in both functionality and price. They don't care so much about the specs of the phone. We high-end users are very few. As many people have pointed out, a lot of high-end users like to upgrade every year. Chances are they are already using Microsoft apps and services and will continue to do so even if they switch to another OS. Then after another year they will look at the Windows phones again and chances are they might miss the live tiles or another aspect and then switch back. If they choose to stay with iPhone or Android, it is a customer lost, at least as far as hardware is concerned, however, there are very few people like that. Rather than to go through the hassle of getting a temporary phone approved from the carriers, Microsoft has chosen to keep up with the low-end phones for people who only care about price and not specs until they are ready with the major upgrade. It's a calculated risk.

Lastly, once everything is ready, this will give Microsoft an opportunity to show that they have created something that is significantly better in all aspects and give others a compelling reason to switch. Whether this can be accomplished or not remains to be seen but I highly doubt trying to salvage a very small percentage of current users by offering a minimal upgrade and then upgrade those phones to Windows 10 and not be able to take advantage of features like Continuum and Windows Hello, etc. is going to help much.

yed19

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure if I had the attitude of the original poster I would not be married. Sometimes people (my wife) just needs to vent. A semi-anonymous message forum is a great place to do so. My wife and I are in the same boat as a lot of people. Its probably mostly from countries like the US where a 2 year contract is basically standard practice and guess what... its been 2 years for a lot of us. We have the ability to get a S6 or a iPhone or a new LG G4... But we are not. Meanwhile my HTC 8X is not getting support from Verizon, I did upgrade it to 8.1 Update 2, its not upgradable to W10 yet (or will it ever be). I have been looking for a cheap mid-range to get me over the next few months but am too frugal to just bite the bullet and do it since the new flagships could be announced any day now with availability later this summer (or early fall). Its a tough time to be a Windows Phone flagship fan. It will get better though. Venting should be expected though as well. Its a normal therapeutic process. Just ask my wife...

kklemn

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
well it's clear.. simple demand/supply fails with windows. People should have a chance to buy a new device with great stuff insice (flagship) at any given time. if it's been over a year than it's a disaster. it's simply what all the companies that run healthy do!
what MS is doing is not providing us with hardware, therefore making us switch to other platform. YES, people get bored with their device and they want something new. to offer something new ALL THE TIME is somethig they should aim for... instead they release a low end mobile phone every 14 days..

and to be frank, people who buy really cheap phones don't care that much about how long the phone has been out. they care about basic things (camera, flash, SD slot etc).

so what i think they should do is release a new flagship every year, after a flagship release a new XL device a month or three later, and after another couple of months release a new killer camera phone... that way we get a new phone that's best at something quite often (all year long). keep us interested for god's sake!

tl;dr
company as massive as MS should be more agile. release flagships or phones with at least one feature that's cutting-edge more often, all year long. make it a routine.

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
People have to complaint to let companies know we are Not satisfied . They need us to survive .

Apple, Samsung and Google do not wait for next OS to upgrade their phones . This company bought Nokia and destroyed it . But that is MSFT . Has been in limbo for many years . People demand and are entitled to use the latest technology . Nokia was producing the best phone in the industry and was moving to Androids because this company was not letting them have the freedom to use the OS in the best possible way .

This company has produced some of the cheapest phones ever since it bought Nokia because this company does not have a grip on leadership and innovations .

So if you want to live in the past , go ahead , move to the past and take your pissed off feelings with you

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Fustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

From a USA perspective, "flagship every year" means a new flagship on each of the major carriers. I do not think that is happening. The HTC One M8 maybe qualifies. I have no problem with the port from an android phone but it was already old technology.

I agree that it does not make sense for MS to release a flagship until W10M. If an 8.1 Flagship was released, buyers would be at risk that it would not be fully W10M capable (with all features) and potentially have to wait months for carrier update from 8.1 to W10M. Consider these scenarios:
"I just bought this ___ phone and now that W10M is out it won't do .... (Various W10M features)
or "W10M has been out for 6 months and the Flagship Phone I bought in May STILL HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED!!!
What is MS DOING??? (Probably begging your carrier to evaluate and release the update)

MS should have been much more transparent about all of this.
It took months for them to say a new flagship would be tied to W10M.
It took months for them to say that there would be a W10M, not just one W10 on all device sizes.
It took months for them to say that W10M would be released separately and later than W10.
All of this was speculated about for months.

The "new" MS missed the opportunity to any of this.

Yllemanden

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
And what would they even gain from releasing a flagship phone at this point ?
MS has known for a long time, that all their energy and money should go into Win 10, because they were only doing catch up with WP 8.1 and such. They are in big need for stepping up and not just catching up. And this is indeed what they are trying to do with Win 10. Will it succeed ? That we will know in some months.
But that also means, that IF they were to release a flagship phone now, or some months before, it would gain almost nothing compared to a 930 as an example. Pretty much no new features, performance is good on 930, so that would not be much different on a better spec phone. So again: It would be released, but noone will notice, because almost nothing has changed compared to the 930 or similar phones. So basically, it would just be a moot phone. It would change absolutely nothing. It would never be an out of the ballpark hit phone, never. It needs Win 10 in order to do that.

They need the Apple factor for this. They can't just bring mediocre phones to the table. They NEED to bring the big guns, and that cannot be done with WP 8 at this point. People need to be amazed and think: "That phone I definitely need" instead of: "Oh, just another plain Windows Phone"...

Last edited:

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
You people can say what you want and you're entitled to your own opinion(s). So am I. And mine is, **** this wait. I gave a big time try with 1520 which is an ok phone. But I'm swapping back to Android as soon as Note 5 is released. Might get G4 or S6 Edge before that. Unless Sony comes with some miracle. But Windows is incomplete and Microsoft doesn't even seem to want it to be competitive.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site

Boy, You're experience is almost exactly the same as mine! I started with an HTC Trophy on Win7 and went through a NL 822, NL 928 and NL Icon then bolted for a Droid Turbo earlier this year! Great device, but I hated Android.... Came back to an Icon and ended up getting 2 so I had one I could use to experiment with Win10. Most recent Build, and first for the Icon sucks! So not ready for prime time, or even anything approaching useable. So both my Icons are back to Win8.1 and waiting for a stable and relatively useable Win10 release! Expect to see some awesome Win10 devices for the Holidays this year. If not, then I'm not sure what I'll do, but I may just lose patience once and for all with MSFT! Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

This is EXACTLY why Microsoft needs to make the new Windows 10 phones available on ALL carriers domestic and international, just like the iPhone! Microsoft cannot afford to have Windows 10 start out on only one carrier who won't support it (big red).

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes, I get the Microsoft has chosen to wait on a flagship until their PIECE OF CRAP WINDOWS 10 comes out. Yet they have no problem pumping lame device after lame device with Windows 8.1. I have a Lumia 1020 that I still consider to be the LAST real flagship. I am testing the disgusting Windows 10 on a throw-away Lumia 635--so I have a valid position from which to SAY how ugly and stupid Windows 10 is--and I have no problem complaining that Microsoft refuses to put out a new flagship with Windows 8.1. At this point I believe my 1020 will be my last smartphone. There is no hardware that will make Windows 10 acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes, I get the Microsoft has chosen to wait on a flagship until their PIECE OF CRAP WINDOWS 10 comes out. Yet they have no problem pumping lame device after lame device with Windows 8.1. I have a Lumia 1020 that I still consider to be the LAST real flagship. I am testing the disgusting Windows 10 on a throw-away Lumia 635--so I have a valid position from which to SAY how ugly and stupid Windows 10 is--and I have no problem complaining that Microsoft refuses to put out a new flagship with Windows 8.1. At this point I believe my 1020 will be my last smartphone. There is no hardware that will make Windows 10 acceptable as far as I'm concerned.
It's not even close to finished. Also what is the point of releasing a new flagship now if there wont be any new features?

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It's not even close to finished. Also what is the point of releasing a new flagship now if there wont be any new features?

Mind share my man, mind share. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong but new hardware plays a factor in people's purchases. My anecdotal evidence. I have a buddy who was ready to upgrade his phone and really wanted to go to Windows phone but he took a look at the hardware available and decided to get an S6 instead because in his mind Windows phone had old hardware or middling hardware and he wanted the latest and greatest hardware..

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Lets be real. Excluding Apple, all smartphone manufacturers get their parts from the same small batch of vendors. I'm failing to see what special parts will be included in this fall's new flagship, that couldn't have been put into one released at the end of the year 2014. Worst case, the 2014 flagship would be running something akin to a Snapdragon 805, instead of an 810 this year. If Microsoft had released a 5" smartphone using the same imaging chip, lens, and flash as the Lumia 1020, but with modern SoC and more ram, virtually all current 1020 users would have bought it. Can I get an Amen????

Erika Y

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site

And now you're whining about no flagships complainers(and you're more annoying too)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Also what is the point of releasing a new flagship now if there wont be any new features?

Yet they happily released the Surface 3 with Windows 8 without the hardware to support the biometric features they themselves tout in Windows 10, and who know what other features it wont support. However none of that is mentioned in the ads they are now showing, just that it will get a free update to W10. What makes the phone so different?

Release an interim flagship, and in this case there really are no magical phone parts that they cant add now that have to wait, and upgrade it later while announcing another flagship. Which then gives them 2x the chances to succeed instead of putting all their eggs in one flagship basket. In the meantime the flagship WP is in the conversation, can be advertised and bring awareness to the platform. Seems like a workable strategy compared to releasing low end dross every chance they get, which has obviously not been a winning strategy.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Yet they happily released the Surface 3 with Windows 8 without the hardware to support the biometric features they themselves tout in Windows 10, and who know what other features it wont support. However none of that is mentioned in the ads they are now showing, just that it will get a free update to W10. What makes the phone so different?

Surface 3 isn't a flagship though. The Surface PRO 3 is though, and the Surface Pro 4 will be too. The Surface 3 is basically akin to a Lumia 830: Premium build quality, but the specs are nothing amazing.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Let's not talk about the Verizon flagship - the Icon - that got abandoned for ANY updates. The best freaking Windows phone ever to hit the market - one of the best phones, period - and it sat. The only way to get them was the half-baked WIndows Preview program. WP has the potential to be the best OS out there and from what Ive seen 8.1 is excellent. I'm sure 10 will be better. Good luck selling it though. That ship sailed long ago.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Let's not talk about the Verizon flagship - the Icon - that got abandoned for ANY updates. The best freaking Windows phone ever to hit the market - one of the best phones, period - and it sat. The only way to get them was the half-baked WIndows Preview program. WP has the potential to be the best OS out there and from what Ive seen 8.1 is excellent. I'm sure 10 will be better. Good luck selling it though. That ship sailed long ago.

The Lumia Icon already got Denim without having to go through the preview program. All Verizon did was skip Cyan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)