Frustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
MS is preparing big comeback with Win 10 so its logical to wait for flagship loaded with latest OS than to release flagship without the new "big thing". I guess after they are done with furnishing OS they ,too, will start following trend of releasing 1/2 flagship every year. IMO flagships should not come out in abundance.

Robholden

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Fustrated with "No Flagship" complaints

what? they are not being slack... they have publicly stated that they will not be releasing a flagship until windows 10... I would rather they do that so they release something good, rather than just a rushed POS like you see from all the other flagships

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
That is kinda my point, people may be able/willing to pay $200 and a 2year contract for a Galaxy or Note, but if they have to pay over $600 and/or pass a credit check for the installment plan the option may not be there.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
OP should understand that, it is about keeping things in momentum. Look. Do you see Android OEMs waiting for Lollipop before their release newer flagships?? No. Why MS need to wait for W10 in order to have a new flagship?? They already missed the flagship windows phone last year. Of course not now when W10 is just around the corner. 1520 is coming to 2 years since it was available at Nov 2013. All the while we have nothing but tons of mid - low end phones. When was the last time we had amazing breakthrough like 1020?? No, nothing at all.

So, now MS is going to put all eggs into the W10 basket. If it works, great! Because if isn't, W10 will be the very last shot from MS for phones. And guess what, by the time W10 is announced, it will be very near to the dates of Apple iPhone 6s and Samsung Note 5 releases. Good luck competing with these 2 giants while MS is still begging devs to port their apps from iOS/Android over to W10 for phones.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
SERIOUSLY? What, you don't think they could release a device that has more features even though it's running WP8.1? They did it with LESSER devices. They could still do it. They could dramatically improve the camera (giving me a 20mp camera when I'm still enjoying a 41mp one that STILL takes better pictures than anything is lame, as far as I'm concerned). And they could put out a REAL flagship and say "you'll be able to enjoy the following new capabilities running 8.1.x, but when W10 comes out there are some other features on the device that you'll be able to take advantage of"....and then leave it to the USER to decide if they want to continue using WP8.1.x or DOWNGRADE to crappy W10 just to access additional hardware-supported features.

You know, all these comments about MS is waiting for W10 are just plain speculations. Nothing more. The fact is MS is no longer as interested in making new phones like Nokia did. They are more concern with their cloud services and thinking how to absorb more users to use the cloud services from other rival platforms. Hence we are seeing lots of MS apps appearing on iOS and Android. And how many times we see better and more polished identical apps on iOS/Android as compared to the ones we have on WP? Even when we have new W10 flagships, it will just be phones with better CPU and hardware. Don't expect new breakthrough especially from the camera department.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You know, all these comments about MS is waiting for W10 are just plain speculations. Nothing more. The fact is MS is no longer as interested in making new phones like Nokia did. They are more concern with their cloud services and thinking how to absorb more users to use the cloud services from other rival platforms. Hence we are seeing lots of MS apps appearing on iOS and Android. And how many times we see better and more polished identical apps on iOS/Android as compared to the ones we have on WP? Even when we have new W10 flagships, it will just be phones with better CPU and hardware. Don't expect new breakthrough especially from the camera department.

What you just said being the truth is my greatest fear for Windows phone+ Microsoft devices.... I hope what you just described isn't the truth

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
What you just said being the truth is my greatest fear for Windows phone+ Microsoft devices.... I hope what you just described isn't the truth

It is my fear as well. We need really beautiful and something extraordinary phones from MS. But looking at things currently, MS is just to busy polishing their next OS and their cloud services. MS is trying very hard to present a different Windows 10 with new features like Continuum and Edge. Till date, even the leaks of 940 XL are not exciting at all. Simply put, MS is trying to catch up with Android for its hardware.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Problem is, MS won't say what the truth is. They've got a CEO who bangs on about "cloud first, mobile first" as being the company's new mantra, but what's made it to market thus far under his stewardship doesn't reflect everyone's understanding of that. There's a fair amount of cloud-supported services and apps across other mobile platforms, but no effort on mobile hardware. Seems that the approach being adopted is just to scattergun out countless low-end devices and see if any take off.
If that's their interpretation of "mobile first" that's fine. But they could do with explaining more about what they actually mean. I think a lot of folk were hoping to see some innovative, high-end hardware included under the "mobile first" mantra. Or at least some reference designs in conjunction with known hardware manufacturers. Or even plans of putting together a team to come up with some reference designs. Heck, anything!

Mike K5

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
The last decent flagship was released about 1.5 years ago? And we're still to wait another half year? Of course we're going to have complaints regarding the lackluster number of flagship/top-end phones. Having a hardware team work on one half a year ago would've helped tie over those who'd like to stay on WP (or switch to) until the next FS phone comes out.
So I don't care if you're butthurt about reading these comments, we're more butthurt that there isn't a new flagship out!

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Show me a Windows 10 phone that can be paired with a wireless display as thin as a type cover complete with retina level display, touch and pen enabled and I'm back to high end phones. We can only dream. Until then my low end 620 paired my Sony RX1r for street photography are perfect companions. They might be replaced only with the 640.

Cthugha

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
To add, I'm also afraid good ex-Nokia hardware designers will leave MS if they mostly focus on cheap budget devices. I know I would. It's much more interesting to work on top-of-the-line high-end devices with cool new features.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it is understandable. People want to get the latest tech in to make their new phone as future proof as possible and they want to get a W8 phone before W10 is forced on us. I suspect new phones won't have the option to install W8 on them so the only way to keep the choice of when/if to shift ecosystems to W10 is to buy devices now before it is too late. Personally I'm fine grabbing the 930 but I hear MS make that tough for Americans (though since negligible numbers of Americans use WP that is not a major marketing consideration, I'm sure).

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft screw up big time by not having a new flagship phone. Many of their better customers have gone back to the iPhone. They spend hundreds of millions in trying to get new customers but forgot to keep their current customer base in place. Totally wrong headed marketing move. Sure they want customers even the low end type but the loyal high end Windows Phone customers just do not want to be treated like dirty and can move! I think the high end customer is more valuable since they buy more things and have greater influence on others.

Windows Mobile 10 will not come out till November 2015 or later and if they sign on with Verizon again; Verizon might not release it till February 2016 like they did with the Icon and discontinue in September of the same year 2014!

Yup, I am one of those person. But I will return once Microsoft get their **** together. I've been WP since WP7 Samsung. Still love the simplicity of the phone and ease of usage. Going to back and play with Android for awhile before next new Flagship arrive. Still love my 1520 and 930, both my wife and I going to dark side for a bit. :)

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Scenario 1: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015, 1 year after the Icon. Then, as it needs to launch a new flagship model with the release of its new flagship OS, it releases the 950 in September 2015. Cue whining: "Whaaaaaat?! How dare they???!!! They just made my brand new 6 month old flagship obsolete! They took my 500 dollars and now I have an outdated phone!!"

Scenario 2: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015, 1 year after the Icon. Come Windows 10 in the fall, it choses not to release a new flagship with it, so it would not **** off the 940 customers. Cue whining: "Come on! You frikkin' morons at MS! You release your brand new OS after 3 years and you don't even give it a proper flagship! You don't even know how to launch a new OS! Who should release a flagship for this milestone event if not you MS?!"

In the meantime, I am perfectly happy with the 930 I purchased last August (it was only available starting July in Europe). I know it only has a 4 core 2+ GHz processor and a 20mpx OIS camera with integrated wireless charging and a laughable 441ppi screen (as in 35% higher resolution than the iPhone 6), but then again I don't care if the other kids in the kindergarten don't think my e-***** is the biggest.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

And the Icon was late as well, it could've been out in Nov-13 along with the 1520. The flagship fiasco hasn't done the platform any favours over the last 7-8 months.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Scenario 1: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015, 1 year after the Icon. Then, as it needs to launch a new flagship model with the release of its new flagship OS, it releases the 950 in September 2015. Cue whining: "Whaaaaaat?! How dare they???!!! They just made my brand new 6 month old flagship obsolete! They took my 500 dollars and now I have an outdated phone!!"

Scenario 2: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015, 1 year after the Icon. Come Windows 10 in the fall, it choses not to release a new flagship with it, so it would not **** off the 940 customers. Cue whining: "Come on! You frikkin' morons at MS! You release your brand new OS after 3 years and you don't even give it a proper flagship! You don't even know how to launch a new OS! Who should release a flagship for this milestone event if not you MS?!"

In the meantime, I am perfectly happy with the 930 I purchased last August (it was only available starting July in Europe). I know it only has a 4 core 2+ GHz processor and a 20mpx OIS camera with integrated wireless charging and a laughable 441ppi screen (as in 35% higher resolution than the iPhone 6), but then again I don't care if the other kids in the kindergarten don't think my e-***** is the biggest.

Or

Scenario 3: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015 (that is capable to leverage features from W10 - USB OTG, Continuum, etc), 1 year after the Icon. Come Windows 10 in the fall, and 940 runs perfectly with Windows 10 for phone. Fans are happy and said "Yay!! I love Microsoft!!!". Then, as it needs to launch a new flagship model with the release of its new flagship OS, it releases the 940 XL in September 2015. Wow!! Another flagship! More choices for consumers, ain't that wonderful?? But I'm fine with 940 because it is still the flagship and enjoying every single feature from Windows 10!! Hurray!!

Is that too difficult?? No offense, yes indeed your 930 purchased last August seems to be better than iPhone 6. But when W10, everyone will even forget about Windows phone because all news will be covering iPhone 6s and Note 5. Devs will all be hyped up with the new devices and make better apps for iOS and Android. Do you think they will even bother about bridging apps over to Windows 10 anymore?? Microsoft better release really true unique flagships by then because if it doesn't, good luck to the future of Windows phone.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Or

Scenario 3: Microsoft releases the 940 in February 2015 (that is capable to leverage features from W10 - USB OTG, Continuum, etc), 1 year after the Icon. Come Windows 10 in the fall, and 940 runs perfectly with Windows 10 for phone. Fans are happy and said "Yay!! I love Microsoft!!!". Then, as it needs to launch a new flagship model with the release of its new flagship OS, it releases the 940 XL in September 2015. Wow!! Another flagship! More choices for consumers, ain't that wonderful?? But I'm fine with 940 because it is still the flagship and enjoying every single feature from Windows 10!! Hurray!!

Is that too difficult?? No offense, yes indeed your 930 purchased last August seems to be better than iPhone 6. But when W10, everyone will even forget about Windows phone because all news will be covering iPhone 6s and Note 5. Devs will all be hyped up with the new devices and make better apps for iOS and Android. Do you think they will even bother about bridging apps over to Windows 10 anymore?? Microsoft better release really true unique flagships by then because if it doesn't, good luck to the future of Windows phone.

Or

Scenario 4: Microsoft releases a Lumia 940 in February, 2015, from a flagship design it salvaged from the Nokia scrap heap with absolutely no W10 features because it was too early in the pipeline, just to satisfy those few of us who have a Lumia 920 and are still loyal to the brand. The underwhelming flagship gets picked up by AT&T only to get shoved into the back corner with no employee training or incentives. The Lumia 940 garners the worst possible reviews from tech writers who uniformly crow "still no apps, don't buy anything before Windows 10, better yet don't buy anything because Windows Phone is dead!" The Lumia 940 proceeds to sell less than 3/4 the volume of the 1520, and you, me and a few other die-hards are happy for an extra 9-12 months. Is that too difficult? No, but it's not very smart either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos