I Absolutely HATE Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

micahbrown76

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Reiterating what others have said above, this is a preview release of the software. That said, I do agree with some of what you said. I don't like their "Tablet" mode and wish they would decide to go back to a more Windows 8.1 like experience when it comes down to that particular mode. It's a known issue that Portrait orientation doesn't work quite right, so we know that will be fixed.

Honestly, I don't even see a point for Tablet Mode at this point as touch works just fine in regular desktop mode and it's more flexible in terms of window arrangements and so forth.

A particular glitch in Tablet Mode right now seems to be that the keyboard doesn't re-size the window you want to type into. That means if you need to type something in to a field at the bottom of a web page, the keyboard slides up and you can't see it. Meanwhile, in Desktop mode when you call up the virtual keyboard, it pops up and re-sizes the window so you can see what you're typing.

This is a glitch I'm sure will be fixed come the full release of Windows 10. My opinion on the Charms Bar shifted after a little while and I really came to appreciate it once I'd gotten the hang of it. I will actually miss the Charms Bar and hope that they clean up notification center a little more to make it behave more like the charms bar.

Beyond that, it's difficult to have an opinion about something that doesn't exist in its completed form.

Give it time and let's see how it turns out. So far, I'm impressed - and the parts I'm not impressed with I suspect will be fixed - but I also know they can't make everybody completely happy all the time. I'm sure there'll be a few things that I don't like with the final release.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep could not agree more

Win 10 is a complete disaster for Tablets and a HUGE step backwards. Their are a ton of small usability issues that add up to make it worse but the biggest issues are the stupid always on Taskbar that takes up space and prevents apps from running in full screen mode and the lack of a full screen web browsing experience.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
But you do realize that they are still not finished ! That is technical preview!! It should be buggy and unfinished, I think you should wait until after official launch to criticize it ! I myself found the build on phones terrible but I know it is TP so wait and see .

Win 10 is a matter of weeks away from RTM and Joe B has said we are only getting tweaks from this point fourth we are not getting huge design changes which is what would be needed to make Win 10 work as well as Win 8.1 on Tablets. In short their is not enough time to fix Win 10 for tablets.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 is a concession OS. Catering to the Keyboard and mouse jockeys who also own competing mobile platforms.

Windows 10 is about a foundation to get iOS apps running 'natively' (recompiled), same with Android.
Windows 10 is about winning back the mind share of 'productivity users'

Windows 10 is about distancing Microsoft from the Windows 8 debacle. So, it doesn't matter what WE liked about Windows 8, Windows 10 is the new foundation.

This is why I'm going Android for my next set of devices.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep could not agree more

Win 10 is a complete disaster for Tablets and a HUGE step backwards. Their are a ton of small usability issues that add up to make it worse but the biggest issues are the stupid always on Taskbar that takes up space and prevents apps from running in full screen mode and the lack of a full screen web browsing experience.

That's convergence for ya!

I think average consumers will like the experience though. It kind of sucks being a fan of something that was never broken, yet never fully appreciated.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 is a concession OS. Catering to the Keyboard and mouse jockeys who also own competing mobile platforms.

Windows 10 is about a foundation to get iOS apps running 'natively' (recompiled), same with Android.
Windows 10 is about winning back the mind share of 'productivity users'

Windows 10 is about distancing Microsoft from the Windows 8 debacle. So, it doesn't matter what WE liked about Windows 8, Windows 10 is the new foundation.

This is why I'm going Android for my next set of devices.

Windows 10 is about catering to the new generation of computing. Many people use Office, however, how many people actually use Office?? Seems like most users only know and or care about a small subset of features. This pattern fits in with mobile computing very nicely.

Cramming them together has compromises no doubt, however I'd rather see how developers react before jumping ship.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Edit: Alt-Tab is just another step really. On XP drag and drop, no shortcuts needed.
D'n'D still works, it's how I move/copy everything. I think you're describing functionality that I never even knew existed, which is a whole different issue I could spend days writing about (lack of manuals).

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I don't even see a point for Tablet Mode at this point as touch works just fine in regular desktop mode and it's more flexible in terms of window arrangements and so forth.
Continuum and tablet mode are perfect examples of where W10 is going badly wrong. These features exist in a perfectly usable way in W8. e.g. The first thing I noticed when I got my Surface Pro 2 was how different the Start Screen was when I hooked it up to my big monitor. Even though both screens have the same 1920x1080 resolution, W8 displayed the tiles on the Start Screen much smaller on the big monitor without me having to do anything to make it so. Similarly, when I plugged in a mouse, I automagically got scroll bars on my Metro UIs, although the scroll wheel works so well, I don't know why you'd ever need them.
So far, I'm impressed.
How? What parts impress you? I'm struggling to find even a single change that is an improvement.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes phone is not as good on windows 10 at the moment. You can not slide between history,speed dial and dial pad. A backward step I would say. Hope they fix it. Also I don't get the idea of the keypad sliding up. I get why but not well implemented!!!

fbales

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I loved it on my PC, but when I loaded it on my Toshiba Encore 2 8" it was a disaster. I'm happy to say now, since build 10122 it is much improved. Having a Windows 8-esque Start screen is much appreciated. Still miss the Charms bar though.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
How can you possibly say that? I'm a reasonably happy Win8.1 user and I can assure you 100% that W10 is NOT going to make me happy in any way whatsoever.

You know what, you have your right to your own option. This is yours, I have mine.

No matter how you sugar coat it, I don't like Windows 8.1. I still feel it's a mess of a OS, broken up between a desktop and a start menu and Microsoft's wet dream of Windows as an ipad. I will agree to disagree some things are nice in 8.1 but, the over all breakup between the 2 parts of it, is a letdown for me and I don't choose to use it because of my dislike for it. This is MY choice.

I am not going to get into a trolling match with you on why YOU think Windows 8.1 is so much better than Windows 10. I feel your wrong but, like everything I post here, this is MY OPTION and ONLY mine.

If you feel 8.1 is better, THEN DONT INSTALL 10 when released and bash it here because you think it's better. I think that would be better for everyone on this site.

Someone should just close this thread, It's becoming a bashing thread why 1 users option is basing other users thoughts on a PRE-RELASE/Beta product.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I love 8.1 on the desktop, including the charms bar, so it's not "universally" hated. One of the many things I miss in 10 is the ability to close an app by just grabbing the top and dragging it to the bottom. That said, if 10 will shut up all of the people that whined about 8, I can live with it.

Claudia Wey

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
As many on the thread have said, this is still a work in progress. I have a similar experience the first version I installed, but then I was more features coming back in the most recent update. As a tablet user I prefer Windows 8.1 at the moment, and for this reason I have set up my Surface Pro 3 in dual boot, so I can play with Windows 10 when I feel like it, but Windows 8.1 is my main OS. I recommend this configuration, even if is a bit tricky to set it up.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
No matter how you sugar coat it, I don't like Windows 8.1. I still feel it's a mess of a OS, broken up between a desktop and a start menu and Microsoft's wet dream of Windows as an ipad.
I'm sorry but it doesn't feel anything like that to me. iOS feels a lot more like a desktop OS to me, just one with very few features. OTOH, W8 actually embraces a new paradigm that is equally at home in any environment.
I will agree to disagree some things are nice in 8.1 but, the over all breakup between the 2 parts of it, is a letdown for me and I don't choose to use it because of my dislike for it. This is MY choice.
Which, I assume, is your admission that there is no logic in this opinion, that it is largely subjective?
I am not going to get into a trolling match with you on why YOU think Windows 8.1 is so much better than Windows 10. I feel your wrong but, like everything I post here, this is MY OPTION and ONLY mine.
I want to be convinced, I really do, but posts like this simply reinforce me belief that W10 is all about making people feel better about Windows, rather than actually making Windows better.
[QUOTE}If you feel 8.1 is better, THEN DONT INSTALL 10 when released and bash it here because you think it's better. I think that would be better for everyone on this site.[/QUOTE}
Why? Should we only say nice things and put up with every bit of garbage that is thrust in our faces without complaint? That sounds like the world kindergarten children live in to me, not the real world adults inhabit.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've come to realise exactly what my problem is with W10. It has taken what was largely a seamless experience in W8 of moving between tablet and desktop, where the sizes of things adjusted to the size of the display and scrollbars only appeared when you needed them, to something that must be one thing or the other and requires the user to intervene to make it so. It is hugely inconsistent and far less intuitive than W8.

Let me explain what I mean. With W8, my tablet works like a tablet when it's on it's own and like a teeny-weeny laptop when it's attached to my Universal Keyboard and Arc Touch Mouse but the experience is consistent. e.g. Regardless of how I am using my tablet, I close Metro apps by swiping down and desktop applications in the traditional way.

W10, however, works differently depending on which mode I select. So now there are different ways to close every app and every desktop application that iare dependent on the "mode" W10 is in. In tablet mode, the only way to close anything is by swiping down from the top but in desktop mode (if that's what it is called) if I try and do that, I end up with a window that sits underneath the Taskbar. It might not be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the close and unmaximise buttons are still visible in tablet mode, they just don't work. This means it is not always immediately obvious whether you are in tablet mode or not, which leads to me pressing a close button 10 times before I remember that I have to swipe Photoshop down from the top of the screen to close it, for the first time in the 20 years I have owned PCs. W8 doesn't present this problem because it offers a more consistent experience - the close button ALWAYS works and swiping down only works for "metro" apps, which look very different to desktop applications, so there is no confusion.

It goes deeper than that, though. Tablet mode affects everything. I can't have an unmaxmised desktop application in Tablet mode. Even small dialogue windows, like Sound settings from Control Panel, open full screen with the window drawn in the top-left corner. If I want to have two Explorer windows open so I can D'n'D files, I have to use split-screen, previously a Metro only feature (where it actually made sense), or get out of tablet mode.

Overall, it is the simple notion that I have to use it one way or the other, where previously I was able to choose what worked best for me - a little bit of Metro goodness with the rock-solid familiarity of the good, old desktop when I needed it. But that's now been taken away and I'm not happy. The fact that I have to re-enter my password when I wake it up from sleep also annoys the hell outta me but I'll save that for another rant.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've come to realise exactly what my problem is with W10. It has taken what was largely a seamless experience in W8 of moving between tablet and desktop, where the sizes of things adjusted to the size of the display and scrollbars only appeared when you needed them, to something that must be one thing or the other and requires the user to intervene to make it so. It is hugely inconsistent and far less intuitive than W8.

Let me explain what I mean. With W8, my tablet works like a tablet when it's on it's own and like a teeny-weeny laptop when it's attached to my Universal Keyboard and Arc Touch Mouse but the experience is consistent. e.g. Regardless of how I am using my tablet, I close Metro apps by swiping down and desktop applications in the traditional way.

W10, however, works differently depending on which mode I select. So now there are different ways to close every app and every desktop application that iare dependent on the "mode" W10 is in. In tablet mode, the only way to close anything is by swiping down from the top but in desktop mode (if that's what it is called) if I try and do that, I end up with a window that sits underneath the Taskbar. It might not be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the close and unmaximise buttons are still visible in tablet mode, they just don't work. This means it is not always immediately obvious whether you are in tablet mode or not, which leads to me pressing a close button 10 times before I remember that I have to swipe Photoshop down from the top of the screen to close it, for the first time in the 20 years I have owned PCs. W8 doesn't present this problem because it offers a more consistent experience - the close button ALWAYS works and swiping down only works for "metro" apps, which look very different to desktop applications, so there is no confusion.

It goes deeper than that, though. Tablet mode affects everything. I can't have an unmaxmised desktop application in Tablet mode. Even small dialogue windows, like Sound settings from Control Panel, open full screen with the window drawn in the top-left corner. If I want to have two Explorer windows open so I can D'n'D files, I have to use split-screen, previously a Metro only feature (where it actually made sense), or get out of tablet mode.

Overall, it is the simple notion that I have to use it one way or the other, where previously I was able to choose what worked best for me - a little bit of Metro goodness with the rock-solid familiarity of the good, old desktop when I needed it. But that's now been taken away and I'm not happy. The fact that I have to re-enter my password when I wake it up from sleep also annoys the hell outta me but I'll save that for another rant.

There used to be a policy for password required after waking, hopefully it wasn't removed.

Like I said before, the new universal approach is more consistent but will be less intuitive xD

Microsoft has distinguished the different interfaces, might be a PITA for someone who is using tablet mode to do desktop work.

You think the UI is too segregated for someone who is considering a SP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12