I Absolutely HATE Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, they seem to have completely destroyed the tablet experience.
In my quest to save Windows 10 I made a mockup of the settings panel that would fix my main niggles with the UI in general and tablet mode specifically. Not sure if there's a chance they'd add something like this, but who knows. See this poll.

Kazekage1981

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
This may be an odd question, but when will there be a Windows 10 Consumer Preview? Windows 8 had a technical preview and then a consumer preview. We are still in technical Previews and Windows 10 is going to be released soon in late July, or maybe mid August. For the OP, well at least you got the start menu back, don't forget a new browser 'ms edge', under the hood improvements, continuum, direct x 12, cortona integration, and pretty soon an option to switch on aero/transparency from windows 7. You should voice your opinion in MS Suggestion/Feedback website. Also, how much OS footprint does MS 10 use? I heard Windows 8.1 uses less than 256MB of RAM for basic functions while Windows 7 used 512MB or more.

Also if you guys don't mind, please go to MS Suggestion Website and ask for the following suggestions:

-DIGITAL PEN to be standard in Windows 10 tablets, Windows 10 Mobile, All in one touch screen desktop PCs, touch laptops with 2048 levels of pressure and 1:1 touch with NO lag.

-Blu-Ray R/RW ultraslim disk drives in desktops, laptops. I am still baffled in OEMs still putting in these useless DVD R/RW drives. Yes I know most people do streaming like Xbox Video, Netflix, HuluPlus, but most people have really low connections and at best can get 720p. 1080p Blu-Ray is simply gorgeous.

-USB 3.0 Type C for Mobile Phones/Tablets for power source and connectivity instead of Micro-USB.

-A mini Kinect technology implemented in Desktops/Laptops/Tablets/Mobile Phone. Kinect technology working with the built in camera in some way shape or form. Its like combining xbox one Kinect with playstation camera/eye

-USB 2.0 or 3.0 port for mini windows tablets that are competing with IPAD and Android tablets. IPAD and Android Tablets do not have that except for miniusb for power usage. Current windows tablets do no have that either except the winbook brand. Seriously? No USB? Come on, make it a standard!

:smile:

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I've tried and tried and tried in good faith to get Windows 10 to be useable on my tablets and there's just no way to pretend this is an improvement over Windows 8.1 on any level. Windows 10 right now is more than just "so bad I can't use it," it's at a level of "So bad I can't let anyone I care about use it." I'm literally here in May planning which Windows 8 tablets I'm going to give to friends and family for Christmas that will get them past having to use Windows 10 for the next few years.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I am in pretty much the same boat. To me it is easily the worst version of Windows I have ever used. It is doing my head in more than Vista did, when they arbitrarily decided to rename and re-order everything in Control Panel.
Everyone really should stop complaining. It's windows you can just fiddle with the settings and registries and get the old windows 8 experience back. Except the charms though, they are dead now
Why should anyone have to go to those lengths, just to get a usable experience? That's what I hate about Linux - I don't want to have to faff about getting a usable computer, I just want to switch it on and get to work. An OS should just get the hell out of my way, not build roadblocks at every intersection to stop me from getting anywhere.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been following this thread and have mixed emotions about 8, 8.1 and 10, which are all used strictly at home. 7 gets used at work. 8.1 is used 90% of the time at home and would be my preferred OS at work. 10 is used for dabbling with the fast ring. The reason for sticking with 8.1: it is the future, an elegant one, yet soon to be the past. Hold on to those you endear.

I hope 10 grows on me eventually to become the future, because using the past as the final Windows OS for eternity will be mediocre. It will be an ah ha moment. It's just not there yet.

The OP has posted legitimate reasons in full detail for not preferring 10 and I applaud his attitude in response to the other variety of haters.

cool8man

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm cognizant of the fact that I don't want to come across as one of those people who hates something just because it's changing. I'll use a specific example (one of many I could provide) where the continuing direction of the OS makes things more difficult and has no reasonable justification. In Windows 8 controls like power and search were hidden in charms. Users complained gestures/hot-corners were not discoverable so for Windows 8.1 they built these buttons directly into the start screen so everyone could easily find them and they enabled mouse users to turn off hot corners if they wanted. In Windows 10 they have now taken the power, account, and apps list buttons that were directly on the Windows 8.1 start screen and buried them under a hamburger menu at the top of the start menu. In addition they removed the gestures and hot corners option for everyone, even if they enjoyed using them in Windows 8. There is no way to defend these types of decisions as improvements or as making the OS easier to use.

It seems to me like the designers on the Windows team believe the answer to every problem is a hamburger menu. Power and apps list buttons are cluttering the start menu = put it in a hamburger menu. We don't know where to put the charms controls for old Windows 8 apps = put it in a tiny hidden hamburger button (that's like 3 levels of obfuscation). Users aren't discovering the app commands bar in Windows 8 apps = design all new apps with a hamburger menu. Windows 10 isn't just forcing frustratingly hard to hit menu buttons on users, but it's also actively hostile against any gesture usage. As unattractive as it might be I could potentially learn to live with the overabundance of hamburger menus in every crevice and corner of the OS if there was actually support for gestures to open every one of these dumb mystery meat menus. Mind you there is no actual study that supports the idea that hiding functionality inside of hamburger menus actually increases discoverability.

Last edited:

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm cognizant of the fact that I don't want to come across as one of those people who hates something just because it's changing. I'll use a specific example (one of many I could provide) where the continuing direction of the OS makes things more difficult and has no reasonable justification. In Windows 8 controls like power and search were hidden in charms. Users complained gestures/hot-corners were not discoverable so for Windows 8.1 they built these buttons directly into the start screen so everyone could easily find them and they enabled mouse users to turn off hot corners if they wanted. In Windows 10 they have now taken the power, account, and apps list buttons that were directly on the Windows 8.1 start screen and buried them under a hamburger menu at the top of the start menu. In addition they removed the gestures and hot corners option for everyone, even if they enjoyed using them in Windows 8. There is no way to defend these types of decisions as improvements or as making the OS easier to use.

It seems to me like the designers on the Windows team believe the answer to every problem is a hamburger menu. Power and apps list buttons are cluttering the start menu = put it in a hamburger menu. We don't know where to put the charms controls for old Windows 8 apps = put it in a tiny hidden hamburger button (that's like 3 levels of obfuscation). Users aren't discovering the app commands bar in Windows 8 apps = design all new apps with a hamburger menu. Windows 10 isn't just forcing frustratingly hard to hit menu buttons on users, but it's also actively hostile against any gesture usage. As unattractive as it might be I could potentially learn to live with the overabundance of hamburger menus in every crevice and corner of the OS if there was actually support for gestures to open every one of these dumb mystery meat menus. Mind you there is no actual study that supports the idea that hiding functionality inside of hamburger menus actually increases discoverability.

Well i like W10 but im using it on a non touch PC so for that it works well ....
For touch users not so much, the hot corners and start should be different and more touch oriented.
I find MS should be more consistent with the UI like the explorer window and different prompts have different designs / icons everything needs to be in modern 2.0 design language MS really needs to break the users need familiarity they already broke that with windows 8 make windows 10 the rest of the change they started and be done with it.

The hamburger keeps the start screen clean in my opinion but things like power options, user name / picture should always be on the start screen.
the start screen also should scroll the way it did in windows 8 but i guess they want to keep it in line with windows mobile so it scrolls up and down like that ... it should be more like windows 8 for touch mode.

The gesture to switch apps was natural in windows 8 i agree with but the charms i don't miss.

The thing people are missing is that this is the last version of windows so after its about .xx releases so they can fix change add remove and tweak based on our feedback HOPEFULLY.

I don't hate windows 10 it just needs to be more unified design wise and make some more sense to touch people.

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
There was really nothing wrong with 8.1, the problem was people did't know how to switch from Tablet to Desktop view. I have had no issues since starting with 8.0. I do a lot of tech support especially with seniors, the tablet view is a blessing for then and makes the PC easy!!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I am in pretty much the same boat. To me it is easily the worst version of Windows I have ever used. It is doing my head in more than Vista did, when they arbitrarily decided to rename and re-order everything in Control Panel.

Why should anyone have to go to those lengths, just to get a usable experience? That's what I hate about Linux - I don't want to have to faff about getting a usable computer, I just want to switch it on and get to work. An OS should just get the hell out of my way, not build roadblocks at every intersection to stop me from getting anywhere.
Sounds like you need to get apple products.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Everyone really should stop complaining. It's windows you can just fiddle with the settings and registries and get the old windows 8 experience back. Except the charms though, they are dead now

So how do you make the taskbar on/off swipeable in Tablet mode? In Tablet mode you can't even autohide the taskbar anymore. Also how do you enable Edge for full screen web browsing, or enable swipe forward to scroll through apps and how do you import your Metro IE live tile bookmarks into Edge?

These are my biggest issues with Win 10 and for me are show stoppers.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

romo11

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
So how do you make the taskbar on/off swipeable in Tablet mode? In Tablet mode you can't even autohide the taskbar anymore. Also how do you enable Edge for full screen web browsing, or enable swipe forward to scroll through apps and how do you import your Metro IE live tile bookmarks into Edge?

These are my biggest issues with Win 10 and for me are show stoppers.

Why do you need to switch off the taskbar? Sorry, but I was like blind in Win8 tablet menu - no datetime info, no info about running programs etc. it is useful to have something like taskbar.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why do you need to switch off the taskbar? Sorry, but I was like blind in Win8 tablet menu - no datetime info, no info about running programs etc. it is useful to have something like taskbar.

Because it unnecessarily takes away screen real estate from content. You don't need to see the time/date and running programs 100% of the time (if you do probably should be on the desktop) but with a permanent taskbar you get it whether you want it or not. With Windows 8, one gesture from the left or right edge gave you the same info and then you returned to your content.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

In Win 8 I simply swiped the charm bar to see those things. The taskbar on smaller screen tablets take up to much active screen space and does not need to be their at all times. Also with a small swipe from the left it showed me running programs. Tablets have limited screen space and don't need static desktop gui oriented taskbars, address bars, tab bars taking up valuable screen space. Win 8 worked fine allow 100% of your screen to be used for content consumption without taking up screen space using static desktop gui elements.

I simply want the option for full screen tablet use without all these desktop gui elements hanging around taking up screen space.

Why can't Win 10 give me a few toggle options in the settings menu for Tablet mode to allow me to have a full screen tablet experience like Win 8.1.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
OP, you may go to MS with all your issues ,but please dont ask them to change the UI back to Win 8,not that i think they will listen but because I (and maybe some more) love the new design , nope there is no logic in it , we just simply love the design ,you know the feeling when you see something and it catches your attention , no logic at all.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why did MS have to throw the baby out with the bathwater? Win 10 has a desktop AND Tablet mode. Their is no reason they could have just improved desktop like it is now while making Tablet mode work more like Win 8 does, or at least give us options in tablet mode that let us adjust it from default to act more like Win 8 in tablet mode.

Desktop users could go along their marry way and never enable tablet mode options that would allow tablet users to keep a Win 8 like tablet experience.

Allow taskbar to be swiped off or on
Allow full screen web browsing in Edge
Allow swipe left to scroll through open apps
Allow metro IE tile bookmarks to be imported in Edge

These are options that could be given to tablet users that would never affect desktop mode users and even tablet mode users could turn off or on as they wanted.

At this point Win 8.1 is going to be like Win XP for Tablets, why would I severely downgrade my Tablet experience in Win 10?

Last edited:

DWill22

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I think Win 10 is good on a desktop but boy does it suck on a tablet. I was hoping they would have got it right but that's not happening.

sbreckbill

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am not to fond of it as well but not so negitive about itI tried windows build on my desktop my first gen surface pro and my phone now i understand bugs and decided to try again so on the phgone on workable and to many things did not work that i use frequent/ So only used it for 3 days and resetmy phone back to windows phone 8.1 and it going to stay that way .Now on desktop i actually had a good experience with it and removed only because i wait til the release of it and will get it on my desktop now on phone it was easy to go back used the system recovery tool and restored my phone from a backup all great desktop just reinstalled windows 8 now the problem is my surface pro as i said first gen surface pro before i did the windows ten preview i had created a recovery image on a usb thumb drive now since the preview unable to boot from that and i have done the hold volumn down get to bios did all kinda things it still goes back to ten i dont want ten on my surface and dont see me using it ever . the funny part is this micrososft soft is trying to gointo the mobile pc market with tablets and phones yet where windows functions the worse is mobile tablits and phones ipersonaly think this windows ten thing is to make the desktop users happy which at least inmy experience with it on a desktop it is great the new browser is awsome on my desktop when it gets to my windows tablet and windows phone where it lacks So is there a recovery like tool that ised my windows phone that zzap it back to where i can restore from my windows 8 recovery image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos