I Absolutely HATE Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

romo11

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Because it unnecessarily takes away screen real estate from content. You don't need to see the time/date and running programs 100% of the time (if you do probably should be on the desktop) but with a permanent taskbar you get it whether you want it or not. With Windows 8, one gesture from the left or right edge gave you the same info and then you returned to your content.

Yes, I need to see mentioned information 100% of time. Why I have to do gesture to see these kind of important information? Gestures are not native and easy for 90% people. To tap directly on screen is easier. Android's status bar is also always visible and who cares?

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The hamburger keeps the start screen clean in my opinion but things like power options, user name / picture should always be on the start screen.
User name/picture? I don't understand why that is there at all. Do you find yourself forgetting who you are and what you look like?
I don't hate windows 10 it just needs to be more unified design wise and make some more sense to touch people.
To me that is the problem we have - they are trying to unify the design when the needs of desktop users and touch users don't really allow for that. e.g. The solution to the problems of the Start Menu stuff in Tablet Mode isn't to hide it inside a hamburger menu, it is to find something else that works better. Ditto for leaving the Taskbar exposed in Tablet Mode. The best/worst example, though, is how badly they have screwed the pooch with All Apps. It is so bad now that they have added an extra navigation layer in an attempt to make it work, when the way it works in 8.1 is so much better and requires nothing like that.

Sounds like you need to get apple products.
Why? They are even worse. What I am concerned about is that Microsoft are heading in that same direction, arbitrarily deciding how we all should be working and taking out anything that doesn't conform to their view.

Why do you need to switch off the taskbar? Sorry, but I was like blind in Win8 tablet menu - no datetime info, no info about running programs etc. it is useful to have something like taskbar.
Because every time I pick my tablet up, I either close something or launch something unintentionally. I tried moving it to one side but it synced that change to my laptop, which is unacceptable. It is in the way all the time on my tablet and I just don't want it there.

Anyway, I am going to start a new thread tomorrow (I have to make some mock-ups first) with some positive ideas on how to fix things. I will call it "Windows 10 Has Gone Too Far" and in it I will attempt to offer an alternative vision that I think would make the greatest number of people happy. I realise it 's probably too late now but it will make me feel a lot better (which is all I care about, obviously).

Last edited:

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love the charm bar. It is elegant and convenient to use in tablet mode. But then having separate app settings (swipe down or up from the bottom corners and from the app's own charm bar) might be confusing to some people. Anyway, it took me 1 minute to get used to it but I don't know about others. And also, it's meaningless in desktop mode. I think what MS needs to do is to decide which features are good for each mode, then separate them by making them only functional for the respective mode (for instance: charmbar for tablet, taskbar for desktop), while still provide a smooth and seamless way to switch between the two modes.
I think the problem with MS is that the designers are trying so hard to unify the user experience on every Windows device out there, hence the taskbar in tablet mode, which I think is ugly and does not provide any mandatory function other than a place to harbour Cortana. Like someone mentioned before, an always visible taskbar in tablet mode takes up the screen's real estate and distracts people from contents. Just because on a Windows phone, we have three buttons which are back, windows and search (Cortana) doesn't mean on a Windows tablet, we have to have the same thing. They are different devices and used in different scenarios. That's why a phone is called a phone and a tablet is called a tablet. Providing a seamless experience between devices, imho, is to make them work well together not make every single thing of them akin. They seem to be trying hard to imitate Apple, thinking that because an iPad and iPhone have the same OS, function in the same way, they have to do it too. But really, what make Apple's user experience deceptively great is that their devices work excellently with each other within the eco-system.
P/s: It's a bit sad for me to see that even in Windows 8.1, which is a legible MS operating system, the word Cortana is recognised as a spelling mistake.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
For desktop also I liked charms and right side pane for options.. It was unique n one pane for all. Full screen start and apps.. Multitasking with snap. Problem is ppl are not ready to leave desktop n traditional way to create shortcuts. Today also desktop is dumping ground... Everything on desktop...u Can desktop filled up. With Windows 8 desktop n modern two lands which don't interact with each other... Win10 is blend of two with desktop preference

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, it wasn't. It was in the Charms Bar, which is where you go to do stuff in Win8. You'd discover it the first time you wanted to connect to Wi-Fi or hook up a second monitor or do anything else. Or, as has been the case for more than a decade, you could simply use the power button on your PC to shut down.

Yes, it was - To detail what you conveniently dismissed as "in the charms bar" - Charms -> Settings Charm -> Power -> Shut Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6-ExUSFGQ

Extract fromHow to Shut Down Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 In Just One Click

Where Windows 7 displays its power button in a prominent place on its Start Menu, both Windows and the new Windows 8.1 make you perform several actions just to turn your computer off and they?re all buried. To get to the power button in Windows 8, you must pull out the Charms menu, click the Settings charm, click the Power button and then select Shutdown or Restart.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I like the charms bar, it is universal and gives the same experience for search and share etc. across all apps. I had imagined that possibly in W10 we could move the task bar to the right, increase the icon size to suit touch, remove the running tasks and add third party shortcuts to share and search etc. I had heard it was being made swipeable. Now I hear we can't even hide it? Why ever not?

I don't know, I keep hearing how the Win8 touch excellence is being brought back and that things are changing, then I find out the reverse is true. Why don't MS just come clean and admit there will be one OS spur for touch (Win8) and one for desktop because that seems to be the developing reality. It's all the instance that they are sorting it followed by the disappointment of discovering it is hollow.

I wanted to love W10, still do, but it has to be a better experience across all my devices for me to press the upgrade button. Not just for non-touch stuff. Currently W10 seems fine for my old, non-touch netbook but on modern devices it still can't compete with Win8 and the more they mess with it the worse it seems to get.

Yet we know that MS is going to have to support touch first in future iterations of Windows. We know this must be a temporary dial back to bring legacy device users in to the fold. Why the pretence that this is somehow a sustainable direction to take Windows in? Who do MS think they are fooling?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you HATE Windows 10 then DONT use it. Use the hashtag on twitter #SayNoToWindows10

I am because of the lack of Windows Media Center....

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If you HATE Windows 10 then DONT use it. Use the hashtag on twitter #SayNoToWindows10

I'm not much of a twitterer, but of course I won't use it until it offers a better user experience across all devices than W8. That would only make sense for people who only have non-touch devices.

Loss of WMC will be hard. It is not the deciding factor for me, but it is a thing. Once there is a suitable version of Windows to upgrade to I will be attempting to transfer WMC from my W8 install in a manual fashion. It might work, have you tried it? I would also be interested in transferring some of the older apps to retain horizontal scrolling for use on wide screen devices where portrait oriented vertical scrolling methods aren't so hot. Glad I've not waited for a W10 laptop, they'll look strange if they go back to 5:4 screen dimensions to fit better with W10. They'll be even weirder if they keep to widescreen when W10 is moving to portrait focussed design.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not much of a twitterer, but of course I won't use it until it offers a better user experience across all devices than W8. That would only make sense for people who only have non-touch devices.

Loss of WMC will be hard. It is not the deciding factor for me, but it is a thing. Once there is a suitable version of Windows to upgrade to I will be attempting to transfer WMC from my W8 install in a manual fashion. It might work, have you tried it? I would also be interested in transferring some of the older apps to retain horizontal scrolling for use on wide screen devices where portrait oriented vertical scrolling methods aren't so hot. Glad I've not waited for a W10 laptop, they'll look strange if they go back to 5:4 screen dimensions to fit better with W10. They'll be even weirder if they keep to widescreen when W10 is moving to portrait focussed design.

Actually, I find that I like twitter better that Facebook but, to each their own. If you get on twitter, look me up and re-tweet my tweets on the subject (see my link in my sig)

I like your thought process to "copy" over to Windows 10 but, I personally tried it, check this thread it out, and if you can help it would be great.

View topic - Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview builds to Final?

WMC cant be just "copied over" when you put in your key, it's done authorized at the kernel level, So if you were to get everything copied over, it will give an error about not being able to run. Believe me, I have been trying (see the thread above with details)

Trust me, I wish it was that easy...

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Look, I'm a Windows Media Center User (Win7/Xbox360 extenders), and I get your view. But if you're going on a crusade against Windows 10 mainly because of Media Center, be honest about it. Don't try to hurt Win10 but rather explicity support Media Center. If you're trying to bring down Win10 based solely on this you're the classic example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

wokaz80

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the charms bar was universally hated by desktop users. However, Windows 8 tablet users, like myself, generally liked it. To me the charms bar (and slide in gestures) is the best of the Android taskbar and the minimalism of IOS on the iPad combined into one. I think Windows 8.1 is the best tablet ui (if you never have to venture into desktop land).
unfortunately desktop users are the mainstream users. i used to love charms bar too on W8 tablet until i realize tablet for productivity is nowhere near the same level of real laptop. With real laptop, i quickly install start menu replacement as it's quite pointless to get modern apps in desktop mode. All the entertainment you can get in modern apps you can also get them in desktop mode. I used to defend W8 but in the end productivity is what matter the most (and all W8 modern apps are pointless for productivity). even if you love entertainment, games on steam are far better than casual games in W8 modern apps.

At this point I actually agree with people who said Windows 8 is a confusing product. it really is. I still use Windows 8 (with start button replacement that also erased charms bar) and not Windows 7 because of faster boot time but i dont see any advantage other than that. I expect a lot from Windows 10 for desktop mode improvement tbh.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately desktop users are the mainstream users. i used to love charms bar too on W8 tablet until i realize tablet for productivity is nowhere near the same level of real laptop. With real laptop, i quickly install start menu replacement as it's quite pointless to get modern apps in desktop mode. All the entertainment you can get in modern apps you can also get them in desktop mode. I used to defend W8 but in the end productivity is what matter the most (and all W8 modern apps are pointless for productivity). even if you love entertainment, games on steam are far better than casual games in W8 modern apps.

At this point I actually agree with people who said Windows 8 is a confusing product. it really is. I still use Windows 8 (with start button replacement that also erased charms bar) and not Windows 7 because of faster boot time but i dont see any advantage other than that. I expect a lot from Windows 10 for desktop mode improvement tbh.

Their is no reason they couldn;t have improved desktop productivity and left alone all the good things that Win 8.1 did on Tablets. It's almost like they messed up tablet mode just to spite people that liked Win 8.1 on their tablets.

Desktop mode = Win 10
Tablet Mode = Win 8.1 Gui with new features and some improvements.

Done

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Their is no reason they couldn;t have improved desktop productivity and left alone all the good things that Win 8.1 did on Tablets. It's almost like they ****ed up tablet mode just to spite people that liked Win 8.1 on their tablets.

Desktop mode = Win 10
Tablet Mode = Win 8.1 Gui with new features and some improvements.

Done

Absolutely. I can see no compelling reason, when all my devices are touch enabled (including my Logitech T650 equipped desktop PC), to move from a fantastic touch OS like Win8 to a reduced touch experience in W10. Nothing but a backwards step for me. Well, not quite, my legacy non-touch netbook might benefit. Oh, wait, I use that to run WMC through to my TV. So, not even an upgrade for Win7 on my netbook? I'm really struggling to see the point of W10 on anything other than legacy non-touch desktops and laptops.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the charms bar, I'm not sad to see it go away. It gets in the way, it inflates the prominence of operations that just aren't that important, and it fails to provide the immediacy of a "swipe and you're there" experience.

First of all, when I see the charms bar it is usually an accident. For every time I intentionally pull it up, there are at least 10 times it shows up when I didn't want it.

Next, there's the choice of what actually goes on the charm bar. To do anything useful through the charms bar I almost always have to dig. Meanwhile, there are options like "share" that I have never used, not once, ever. What does "share" even mean in most apps? Thing is, I don't think there are a lot of good choices for what should be on a global menu. And that, I think, is a big part of why the charms bar isn't such a great idea after all. Most operations don't apply to a majority of contexts, unless they are so generic that you have to dig to narrow it down to what you're really after. It really doesn't merit being a top-level UI element of every single app.

I realize that apps can customize what is on the charms bar, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a well done example that justifies the charms bar's existence.

MicrosoftWinPho

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I agree with most points. All in all, 10 is much worse than 8 is and I'm using it on a desktop PC. I much prefer the 8.1 experience over 10 even with tablet mode enabled. I'm skipping out on 10 and sticking with 8.1 until they get tablet mode right.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Never cared much for the start menu and have not had any problems with the start screen in Windows 8. Now, for desktop I find that the 'hybrid' that Microsoft designed works just fine either way. For tablets I still feel that the WIN8.1 Start Screen is better but it's gone so there's really no point in rehashing that much.

Those who are b*tchin' over Media Center should really ask themselves what advantages they would gain if they would be running WIN10 with MC .. Frankly, I don't see much, if any so what's the beef here? Your Windows 7 or 8.1 Media Center install will be good for at least another 5 years so what's your point really? You are not really a Windows user, you are a Media Center user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs