Live tiles on taskbar???

wpfanRVA

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Attention all windows insiders:
Please vote to persuade microsoft to bring our beloved live tiles to the taskbar.
Live tiles are a key part of windows 8/8.1 and 10, so wouldn't it be great to have them on the taskbar? the email tile could show unread messages just like on the start screen, except desktop users could benefit more from glanceable info on the taskbar/desktop.
Would this be a feature you would like to see?
Vote me too for LIVE TILES ON THE TASKBAR!!! if you are an insider

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. This would get messy and no real information is provided. Just pin those important Live Tiles to the start screen/menu...where they belong.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think it's a great idea (one that I've posted about).
It adheres to the "glance and go" mentality.
It shouldn't be required that I open the Start Menu, to see that I have an unread e-mail.
That's not glancing.
I can just open the e-mail client, to see that.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't utilize it (even it if it was implemented).
I don't pin things to the Taskbar.
I'm one of those guys that still think we should use the Start Screen (at least on tablets and phones).
I don't need the Desktop, on my Venue 8 Pro.
JJ

weiser159

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
My version of pinning Live Tiles to the Taskbar would involve having a separate horizontal scrolling window you toggle on or off.

The vertical height might be a maximum of 3x the Taskbar height and it holds only one row of Tiles. It would rest right on top of the Taskbar. This would probably only be suitable for desktops, but I think it would be a great way to take advantage of and to showcase the Live Tiles. By default the Tiles would be arranged in the order they're already set on the Start Screen. You could then move them as desired. I think it would be simple and consistent while not detracting from the over all Live Tile experience. Why would a Live Tile always be hidden in the Start Menu/Start Screen? That's not very intuitive and kind of a waste.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The apps pinned to the taskbar could be "small" live tiles with just a number for the notification count. Hovering over it could show a peek view of the app window when the app is open and a peek view of the "large" or "wide" app tile when it's closed.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I think that could be a great idea - if executed properly. I also think that's not glancing at all if you have to open the start menu to see if there's an update to mail, etc.
small versions of live tiles in the taskbar could be the right way like Wam1q said

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
The task bar in desktop mode is already capable of giving information suited for glances since Windows 7. As an example to use: Outlook 2013 provides a change in icon to signify new mail.

If you're asking for a way for UWP Apps to utilize said functionality, then I agree wholeheartedly. The reason it hasn't been implemented yet is because it wasn't until Windows 10 that UWP Apps and desktop apps could co-exist in the current fashion.

At best, it would be good to have UWP Apps to get access to those APIs that are already available.

Edit: It looks like Metro Apps, and by extension UWP Apps, should already be able to put status/notifications (like in Outlook 2013) and Jump List Actions (like Skype [Desktop], Music [Windows Store/Metro]) when pinned to the taskbar. The Jump List functionality already exists for Music and PDF Reader, for example.It's probably a case that developers have never thought about actually using such things in their applications.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon