05-24-2015 10:47 PM
180 1234 ...
tools
    There is no "practical" use for Continuum. Someone mentioned that phones will evolve to the point of replacing low to mid range laptops. Never. The computing power of even the most basic laptop trumps the most powerful phones today. Basically, if you're in an office setting all day, there's really no need for this feature. However, if you have to move around to different parts of the building, town or region, then this feature will become your best friend. BlackBerry already has a similar function in Blend and it's my favorite part of BB OS10. It's not until you use it that you understand how impactful it can be.
    05-21-2015 01:53 PM
    Someone mentioned that phones will evolve to the point of replacing low to mid range laptops. Never. [snip] BlackBerry already has a similar function in Blend and it's my favorite part of BB OS10. It's not until you use it that you understand how impactful it can be.
    I'm confused. On the one hand you seem to say this type of feature is useless. Then you say BB Blend is similar and its your favorite part of BB. That sounds like a direct contradiction.

You say phones will *never* evolve to the point of replacing low to midrange laptops? Um ... I wish we had a way to place bets. I would love to put my money against yours on that point. The Surface2 is already doing duty as a low end laptop. In a couple years phones will be able to do this, too.
    EssThree, mandong and 920Walker like this.
    05-21-2015 02:42 PM
    I'm confused. On the one hand you seem to say this type of feature is useless. Then you say BB Blend is similar and its your favorite part of BB. That sounds like a direct contradiction.

You say phones will *never* evolve to the point of replacing low to midrange laptops? Um ... I wish we had a way to place bets. I would love to put my money against yours on that point. The Surface2 is already doing duty as a low end laptop. In a couple years phones will be able to do this, too.
    I never mentioned "useless". I said it was an impractical feature because most users would not find any benefit to this. The fact that I use a BlackBerry should make it evident that I'm not the typical user. As for the second part of your confusion, the Surface 2 is decidedly NOT a phone. I've yet to see or even read about any phone on the horizon capable of running a desktop OS. I think there will be telephony on PCs before x86 capability hits phones.
    920Walker likes this.
    05-21-2015 03:02 PM
    It is preparing us for an ARMless future. Intel is making some pretty decent phone chipsets, these days. I see the Lumia 950 as running Intel. Then continuum becomes an amazing feature, because your PC is your phone. This would Change. My. Life.
    Omar9399, Dadstar0410 and rhapdog like this.
    05-21-2015 03:09 PM
    I agree it won't be on low end phones.... at first. But neither were a lot of other things that have trickled down over time. Plus you may be forgetting the millions who receive 10-15 free smartphones under the lifeline program. I can see trading most or all of them in for a single high end phone. I wouldn't even be surprised if the govt offered that as an option! LoL
    So, you're saying in about a decade? Sure.
    But, hey, the NY Jets could be a Super Bowl championship quality team in about a decade as well.

We may even have holograms!
    05-21-2015 03:19 PM
    REMOTE DESKTOP...........RDP through your phone, run anything on larger screen..........as LTE, LTE Advanced, 5G, 6G, etc.....internet connections are getting faster, and faster, and I think that's a very compelling thing to have for mobile work force. If you could establish VPN, and use remote applications from your companies server (think AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc - things that are x86 intel only), in addition to native universal applications............or for anyone that has a full PC at home, they should make remote apps easier to use in W10, that way you can seamlessly use any software at home, or in the office, all controlled through your phone.

I think this is an extreme case though.......Id say only about 25% of people out there even need full PC software anymore, as more and more things are handled through a browser, and through mobile applications, if you don't need that software, and it runs smoothly, there would be no reason to buy PC's anymore - which we are already seeing today with tablets. Throw a badazz 6" Surface Phone with Continuum on it, and 75% of people out there could use it as their primary PC with a monitor, their phablet, and their phone......add in surface pen support, and you get your notepad as well.
    05-21-2015 05:00 PM
    When I can run desktop apps on my Windows Phone (with or without external keyboard/mouse/display), that will be something.

You can buy an x86 phone with Android, but not Windows Phone. Isn't that funny?
    05-21-2015 05:01 PM
    I think Continuum will be very useful in Enterprises. I don't see it as a consumer feature. However, Microsoft has a huge presence in Enterprise, so even if we as consumers don't use it, it will still be a game changer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    This thread should have ended here honestly. For now, this is more of an Enterprise focused feature. "Hot Stations" or "Hot Desks" are common in enterprise computing environments, here where I work will deploy 2 monitors, a keyboard, a mouse & a docking station --- there desks are staged for traveling users and users who made be in a different building away from their usual desk (for a meeting, conference, etc), but they have their laptop and need to dock & go to get something done. IE. A customer travels from their New York branch to the Los Angeles branch and needs to review a presentation, charts or a spreadsheet before going into a meeting (basically, anything that's not practical to do on a phone sized device). Sit at one of these desks, whip out your phone and get right at it.

See how useful this is now?

There is no "practical" use for Continuum. Someone mentioned that phones will evolve to the point of replacing low to mid range laptops. Never. The computing power of even the most basic laptop trumps the most powerful phones today. Basically, if you're in an office setting all day, there's really no need for this feature. However, if you have to move around to different parts of the building, town or region, then this feature will become your best friend. BlackBerry already has a similar function in Blend and it's my favorite part of BB OS10. It's not until you use it that you understand how impactful it can be.
    PC sales have dropped not only because of Mac & Chomebooks, but because plenty of people can do everything they need to do on tablets. And most tablets have the same spec's as high-end smart phones. So your claim is not valid. You have to remember that not everyone is a power user who runs AutoCAD, edits photos, processes large video files and so on ---- same for the enterprise. Some people do 90% of their work in just Microsoft Office applications.
    05-21-2015 05:04 PM
    My point was that phones are nearly as powerful as the Surface2. And therefore phones are nearly to the point of being able replace a low end laptop.

I'm sure you are right regarding seeing telephony come to computers (that is basically already there with Skype, facetime, and clients like jabber and cisco soft phone). I am already doing telephony on my computer.

You seem to have drawn a line in the sand that it must be x86 coming to phones, but I don't see that as necessary for a huge number of people. My parents, for instance, don't need to install and run x86 programs. They just need email, browser, and document editing. x86 is irrelevant to them.

Does Continuum have a "practical" use? I think there are limited use cases where it is cool. But for me it is a necessary evolutionary step that we need to take before we get to the major milestone where you, The Average Joe (not you, The Power User), only need to own and carry one computing device that can handle most of your life's computing needs.
    05-21-2015 05:07 PM
    Does Continuum have a "practical" use? I think there are limited use cases where it is cool. But for me it is a necessary evolutionary step that we need to take before we get to the major milestone where you, The Average Joe (not you, The Power User), only need to own and carry one computing device that can handle most of your life's computing needs.
    That's the point I tried to make earlier. Continuum is a game changer for me but it's not practical for the average consumer. We'll see how far mobile computing goes, but remember that even Apple uses Windows PCs to get their own work done. Governments, industry and the like will never go mobile. Their infrastructure won't allow it. Just like BlackBerry will need to be around for their security. John Chen said as much the other day when he referenced the US Army as an essential customer. May not make a boatload of money, but the need has to be filled.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-21-2015 05:27 PM
    The 'average consumer' would die in a situation in which MacGyver would survive. I don't give much weight to the now clich 'no practical use' arguments.

The purpose of Continuum is not to transport current practices into the future, it is to prepare the platform for future advancements.

Microsoft envisions a future where the screens we compute on will be provided by the places we will be computing. Imagine a public library saving money because they only have to provide a screen and a keyboard.

Microsoft is building a world where people imagine what they will do with the devices they buy instead of a world where the devices determine what you can do.

EDIT:

Maybe I will just add examples as I think of them:

Sitting on an airplane and, instead of the simple fold down food tray, the device folds down into a 13" Monitor and keyboard?

The car doesn't just charge your phone. It becomes a mobile device in a literal sense. It's like Apple CarPlay, only without yet another separate OS. Continuum will sense the information that needs to be displayed based on the device it is displaying to. Windows 10 is also your cars dashboard. The Gogoro would also be a good example.

Eventually, today's Snapdragon 810 will become tomorrows snapdragon 200. By developing and perfecting Continuum now, Microsoft makes it even easier to hold and dominate markets where people can't necessarily afford multiple high end Android and iOS devices. And why would they want too? The low end phone they just bought can plug into any monitor and become at least the equal of a Chromebook. Devices that wear multiple hats will secure the low end and make it more likely those who choose low end Lumias will upgrade to Windows in the future.
    Last edited by OSean; 05-22-2015 at 01:15 AM.
    05-21-2015 06:02 PM
    I pretty much agree with others have mentioned about it being the new laptop. Imagine the possibilities? If continuum operates even remotely close to how it's supposed to anyone who owns a Windows laptop or PC for real world work, won't have any reason not to own a Windows phone. That can also be said for owners of an Xbox One.
    Jazmac, EssThree and rhapdog like this.
    05-21-2015 07:13 PM
    This is the funniest thing I ever saw. What's the point of carrying a laptop sized monitor and keyboard and connect your phone just yo use office apps?
    What's the point of owning a phone, a tablet and a laptop when one device can be all three? Why pay for 3 CPUs, 3 GPUs and 3 lots of separate storage when you can have everything in one device? This is the future, it's just that phones aren't quite powerful enough right now to make it viable. But if you look where smartphones were 5 years ago and extrapolate that level of improvement 5 years into the future, this kind of thing will be perfectly viable and very desirable, I reckon.
    05-21-2015 07:17 PM
    I use to own a Motorola Atrix 4G. While I never bought the lapdock, I used one a few times, and the concept is great. When Motorola first displayed it, bloggers went nuts over the idea of such convergence. The problem was the lack of apps and the slow, by today's standards, hardware of the Atrix. One thing people forget is the potential cost savings. No one is gonna get work done on their phone, so people bring along a tablet or laptop. The benefit here is a Laptdock can potentially be less expenisive (Or even free with a carrier subsidized phone) compared with a low end laptop or iPad. Anyone comparing Continuum to the Asus Padphone never looked at what Asus charged for the pair. The original Padphone combo cost as much as a Galaxy phone and Tablet.
    05-21-2015 07:28 PM
    I don't own a laptop, so there is another person who will use this.
    05-21-2015 07:28 PM
    Less than 5 years from now for sure! Problem is that most people only see their devices as phones that can take selfies or post to facebook, they have no idea how really powerful they are.
    EssThree and 920Walker like this.
    05-21-2015 07:30 PM
    This is the funniest thing I ever saw. What's the point of carrying a laptop sized monitor and keyboard and connect your phone just yo use office apps?
    My office has desk and laptops but most of our conference rooms do not. We get a lot of visitors for meetings and if they can carry spreadsheets, presentations, slide shows etc on their Windows Phones on these overnight jaunts and not have to take along a laptop, that's a mighty big plus. Not to mention visitors could use existing laptops for their data using the keyboard for their stuff and not affect the data or security on company computers. With Continuum and Skipe for Business with translation, the possibilities are flat out endless.

Shoot, wait till these little pervs with snapchat on their phones get hold of Continuum. Its gonna be sick. lol.
    rhapdog likes this.
    05-21-2015 07:43 PM
    If you have ever had to compose a multi page spreadsheet, or a multi page document you would know the tiny (even the biggest) phone screens is not the place to do it. While it might not be for everyone, it sure would come in handy for someone who travels alot and has to compute on the GO. Gamechanger, maybe not; but it sure would make life simpler for business users who what to travel light. I could see base stations all over the place.
    Jazmac and 920Walker like this.
    05-21-2015 07:44 PM
    One of my big issues with it remains - why they'd use the name of an AIDS-denying magazine for this new product.
    05-21-2015 07:45 PM
    Okay the base use case for Continuum is it makes the transition in tablet/pc devices easier. On the phone it's a pinch feature; basically niche but also a feature that people can use when a tablet or PC isn't close at hand. The big thing about Continuum, especially with mobile, is its about the mobile users for whom the phone is the only computing device they carry.
    05-21-2015 09:29 PM
    People need to understand that the average consumer, and those that make up the big numbers in Android and IOS use their phone for what? Facebook, whatsapp, twitter, instagram, snapchat, blah blah blah.

In the real world I would love continuum.

Just docking your phone and having that outlook /excel/word experience where you can actually get some real WORK done without having to reach for your entire laptop.

Those of us who work... Know what i'm talking about. It will be a life saver. But for regular day to day use of the "average" consumer, it won't make sense.

Businesses that have multiple offices and users who are always floating around between offices will benefit.
    Jazmac and 920Walker like this.
    05-21-2015 09:59 PM
    What's the point of owning a phone, a tablet and a laptop when one device can be all three? Why pay for 3 CPUs, 3 GPUs and 3 lots of separate storage when you can have everything in one device? This is the future, it's just that phones aren't quite powerful enough right now to make it viable. But if you look where smartphones were 5 years ago and extrapolate that level of improvement 5 years into the future, this kind of thing will be perfectly viable and very desirable, I reckon.
    Smartphones already best lower end Intel Celerons in mobile focused computations. Not all software can be reinvented for mobile computing, but whatever the phone cannot do, cloud can.

Going to be decades (at current pace) before the US has lit infrastructure that can manage mobile first, cloud first computing for the consumer market.
    EssThree likes this.
    05-21-2015 10:13 PM
    wait till these little pervs with snapchat on their phones get hold of Continuum. Its gonna be sick. lol.
    Not sure what a mobile-only messaging application has in common with a Windows feature that will allow you to use a mobile version version of Excel on a monitor. The two don't cross paths.

Very few using social networking on their phones (not Windows phones obviously, with a still buggy Facebook app) will care that your phone can blow up your Powerpoint slides to a TV.
    05-21-2015 11:32 PM
    As Microsoft announce the continuum for phone I see no future in it like wise
    --who gonna use their mobile device to connect to external monitor+ keyboard+ mouse
    just to use the app in big screen.
    -- whats is the practical use of continuum? every one has laptop/desktop/tablets/2in1.
    -- Microsoft need to bring features like "Handoff", "WiFi Direct"(old but useful) etc.
    to compete with IOS/Lagdroid.
    I don't even know to even answer this question seriously or not.
    05-22-2015 01:26 AM
    My views/answers in Red.

As Microsoft announce the continuum for phone I see no future in it like wise
    --who gonna use their mobile device to connect to external monitor+ keyboard+ mouse
    just to use the app in big screen.

I would and some others too because...

-- whats is the practical use of continuum? every one has laptop/desktop/tablets/2in1.

I disagree, because not everyone has laptops or desktops etc. or more people just prefer to use Mobile Phones as Primary now specially the consumers I kinda disagree with Laura on this one.. So I guess Continuum should use something like HDMI so it can be compatible too with HDTVs.

-- Microsoft need to bring features like "Handoff", "WiFi Direct"(old but useful) etc.
    to compete with IOS/Lagdroid.

Nope this is just your opinion I guess but agree that those are some cool features too, they should really add that one.
    05-22-2015 01:31 AM
180 1234 ...