I don't see Continuum as game changer, what is the practical use of Continuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack14u

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Less than 5 years from now for sure! Problem is that most people only see their devices as phones that can take selfies or post to facebook, they have no idea how really powerful they are.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This is the funniest thing I ever saw. What's the point of carrying a laptop sized monitor and keyboard and connect your phone just yo use office apps?

My office has desk and laptops but most of our conference rooms do not. We get a lot of visitors for meetings and if they can carry spreadsheets, presentations, slide shows etc on their Windows Phones on these overnight jaunts and not have to take along a laptop, that's a mighty big plus. Not to mention visitors could use existing laptops for their data using the keyboard for their stuff and not affect the data or security on company computers. With Continuum and Skipe for Business with translation, the possibilities are flat out endless.

Shoot, wait till these little pervs with snapchat on their phones get hold of Continuum. Its gonna be sick. lol.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you have ever had to compose a multi page spreadsheet, or a multi page document you would know the tiny (even the biggest) phone screens is not the place to do it. While it might not be for everyone, it sure would come in handy for someone who travels alot and has to compute on the GO. Gamechanger, maybe not; but it sure would make life simpler for business users who what to travel light. I could see base stations all over the place.

DaQuantumFro

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: I don't see "Continuum" as game changer

Okay the base use case for Continuum is it makes the transition in tablet/pc devices easier. On the phone it's a pinch feature; basically niche but also a feature that people can use when a tablet or PC isn't close at hand. The big thing about Continuum, especially with mobile, is its about the mobile users for whom the phone is the only computing device they carry.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
People need to understand that the average consumer, and those that make up the big numbers in Android and IOS use their phone for what? Facebook, whatsapp, twitter, instagram, snapchat, blah blah blah.

In the real world I would love continuum.

Just docking your phone and having that outlook /excel/word experience where you can actually get some real WORK done without having to reach for your entire laptop.

Those of us who work... Know what i'm talking about. It will be a life saver. But for regular day to day use of the "average" consumer, it won't make sense.

Businesses that have multiple offices and users who are always floating around between offices will benefit.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What's the point of owning a phone, a tablet and a laptop when one device can be all three? Why pay for 3 CPUs, 3 GPUs and 3 lots of separate storage when you can have everything in one device? This is the future, it's just that phones aren't quite powerful enough right now to make it viable. But if you look where smartphones were 5 years ago and extrapolate that level of improvement 5 years into the future, this kind of thing will be perfectly viable and very desirable, I reckon.

Smartphones already best lower end Intel Celerons in mobile focused computations. Not all software can be reinvented for mobile computing, but whatever the phone cannot do, cloud can.

Going to be decades (at current pace) before the US has lit infrastructure that can manage mobile first, cloud first computing for the consumer market.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
wait till these little pervs with snapchat on their phones get hold of Continuum. Its gonna be sick. lol.

Not sure what a mobile-only messaging application has in common with a Windows feature that will allow you to use a mobile version version of Excel on a monitor. The two don't cross paths.

Very few using social networking on their phones (not Windows phones obviously, with a still buggy Facebook app) will care that your phone can blow up your Powerpoint slides to a TV.

xkinn

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

As Microsoft announce the continuum for phone I see no future in it like wise
--who gonna use their mobile device to connect to external monitor+ keyboard+ mouse
just to use the app in big screen.
-- whats is the practical use of continuum? every one has laptop/desktop/tablets/2in1.
-- Microsoft need to bring features like "Handoff", "WiFi Direct"(old but useful) etc.
to compete with IOS/Lagdroid.
I don't even know to even answer this question seriously or not.

rex.reyesiii

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

My views/answers in Red.

As Microsoft announce the continuum for phone I see no future in it like wise
--who gonna use their mobile device to connect to external monitor+ keyboard+ mouse
just to use the app in big screen.

I would and some others too because...

-- whats is the practical use of continuum? every one has laptop/desktop/tablets/2in1.

I disagree, because not everyone has laptops or desktops etc. or more people just prefer to use Mobile Phones as Primary now specially the consumers I kinda disagree with Laura on this one.. So I guess Continuum should use something like HDMI so it can be compatible too with HDTVs.

-- Microsoft need to bring features like "Handoff", "WiFi Direct"(old but useful) etc.
to compete with IOS/Lagdroid.

Nope this is just your opinion I guess but agree that those are some cool features too, they should really add that one.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

IMO, it is easily justifiable to spend a few hundred dollars on a phone with the specs to be a usable PC.

Does the phone comes with
--Intel core i5/i7 5th gen processor
--512mb flash drive
--8gb ram
-- AMD gpus

No it doesn't so that's the reason why the phone can't replace the desktop/laptop nor you can use it like a desktop.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what a mobile-only messaging application has in common with a Windows feature that will allow you to use a mobile version version of Excel on a monitor. The two don't cross paths.

Very few using social networking on their phones (not Windows phones obviously, with a still buggy Facebook app) will care that your phone can blow up your Powerpoint slides to a TV.

over your head.jpg

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

--512mb flash drive
--8gb ram
-- AMD gpus

No it doesn't so that's the reason why the phone can't replace the desktop/laptop nor you can use it like a desktop.

Granted. But a lot of people don't need that kind of desktop

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

It is preparing us for an ARMless future. Intel is making some pretty decent phone chipsets, these days. I see the Lumia 950 as running Intel. Then continuum becomes an amazing feature, because your PC is your phone. This would Change. My. Life.
6"PC which needs an external monitor keyboard trackpad tto get the work done.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
--512mb flash drive
--8gb ram
-- AMD gpus

Desktop computing != Mobile computing
That said, I'd go for this config first before buying a Continuum enabled device lol

Edit: Wish I waited for Fiji. Ended up getting a 970 .. If only AMD had more efficient offerings

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If MS only projects the phone UI to a monitor then yeah. But if MS makes its the UI more PC-like when it is plugged into a monitor/keyboard I will be all over it.
This is the whole concept - universal apps adjust to their amended screensize. Things get resized for the change in pane size in the same app.
You just carry right on working.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just docking your phone and having that outlook /excel/word experience where you can actually get some real WORK done without having to reach for your entire .
What if I told you there are thousands of apps that are beyond office apps which average people use in there daily life.

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Back in the days of my childhood, probably inspired by Star Trek, I dreamt of having a small portable device which would be a gateway to anything I wanted to do with it. Hook it up to this or that, carry all my stuff with me on that little piece of hardware, turning every screen into "MY" computer.

Well, cloud has effectively replaced the need to have a large storage, but Continuum looks promising. As someone already said it here, soon (how soon remains to be seen) devices will be powerful enough yet tiny enough to carry around. Imagine just having a large screen (and periphery) at work desk, at home or at your friend's home and all you have to do is plug in your tiny powerful device. Presto! Your entire work and life there, with you.

And of course, this device would be self-sufficient, it could be used as a today's smartphone but it could easily be turned into gaming rig, work computer, whatever you want... Because you rarely use your phone AND your PC at the same time (save for when the phone rings ;D) or your PC at home and at work.

So having one strong tiny device which is the brain, and various "outlets" for that brain would be great! Instead of having multiple user accounts on PC you would have multiple USERS with their accounts sitting on their respective strong tiny devices in their pockets.

Anyway, that was just my vision of things here, and Continuum could prove to be just that, but just not yet, because the hardware is not powerful enough to replace the strongest of consumer PCs. Not to mention the incredible stress of wear and tear... Soon (tm).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3