I don't see Continuum as game changer, what is the practical use of Continuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: I don't see "Continuum" as game changer

it has no use. it's a gimmick and it will fail and die. enterprise isn't going to use it, since they've pretty much standardized on iOS. It's more of a long term misreading of the market than anything.

dashrendar

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Dude, that's the whole idea of Continuum. What did expect it to do? Slice bread? It's the same computer but has a UI that transforms to smartly fit the screen that connects to it.

By the way, you didn't let me finish! So during the night, you start sleepwalking and head to your car, which has a Windows 10-friendly entertainment center. You wirelessly dock your phone to your car (while it's still in your pocket) and suddenly, the screen in your car shows a different UI that's car-friendly, safe and intuitive, and now the car has access to the following:
SMS/MMS Messages;
Music;
Equalizer settings;
Videos (in case you have kids and they want to watch Pocoyo);
Addresses (for GPS);
Contacts (for Hands-Free Calling).

Hell maybe even...
Side and rear view mirror settings;
Seat settings;
Type of ride setting (Normal, Economy, Sport).

How about that?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Honestly, I don't get your point. Just like omar9399 pointed out, you can access any file you want on any device, whether it's laptop, desktop, tablet or phone using any cloud sharing service. If you really want to edit your files at the destination I think using a cloud sharing service would be more convenient than hooking up your phone to a workstation.

When I go for a client visit I would never consider going with only my phone and hoping that the client has the correct equipment for me to use my phone and also hoping that nobody else is using it at that time. All this hassle can be avoided by taking a laptop with you.

You're thinking about Word docs, spreadsheets and such. I'm referring to specialized programs that can't reside in a cloud server or are forbidden by company policies from being in a cloud server. There are engineering progs, estimating software, etc. that CANNOT be accessed via traditional cloud portals. Either you bring the workstation with you or voila! Continuum. This will probably be Remote Desktop's last stand.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Does the phone comes with
--Intel core i5/i7 5th gen processor
--512mb flash drive
--8gb ram
-- AMD gpus

No it doesn't so that's the reason why the phone can't replace the desktop/laptop nor you can use it like a desktop.

Ten years ago, no one thought about a phone with 3gb of ram.
So keep that in mind!

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

it has no use. it's a gimmick and it will fail and die. enterprise isn't going to use it, since they've pretty much standardized on iOS. It's more of a long term misreading of the market than anything.

Get some ketchup for your words bro! You can be surprised!

jacobdrj

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Mobile continuum takes us 1 step closer to mainstream single computer computing... 1 device that conforms to your needs based on your condition and location. Ultimately this will be a pendant or a ring or an implant that will output to the output and input that makes sense based on your location. But for now, its a phone. For tablets and PCs, it just optimizes Windows based on the available input, which is lacking in 8.1.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Mobile continuum takes us 1 step closer to mainstream single computer computing... 1 device that conforms to your needs based on your condition and location. Ultimately this will be a pendant or a ring or an implant that will output to the output and input that makes sense based on your location. But for now, its a phone. For tablets and PCs, it just optimizes Windows based on the available input, which is lacking in 8.1.

Resistance is futile.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

talk to me in a 2 years, when microsoft has abandoned all phone development and moved over to services on android and cloud deployment. Even the Windows OS is going to disappear in the next few years.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site

You're thinking about Word docs, spreadsheets and such. I'm referring to specialized programs that can't reside in a cloud server or are forbidden by company policies from being in a cloud server. There are engineering progs, estimating software, etc. that CANNOT be accessed via traditional cloud portals. Either you bring the workstation with you or voila! Continuum. This will probably be Remote Desktop's last stand.

Okay that I will admit is a valid use for it, but then again, it's not really something for normal consumers, it's a special use case. Continuum will be useful for certain individuals but won't really have mass market appeal.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

talk to me in a 2 years, when microsoft has abandoned all phone development and moved over to services on android and cloud deployment. Even the Windows OS is going to disappear in the next few years.

LMAO!

Not sure if serious or just trolling.

wshwe

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I see Continuum as a cool feature, but it will find limited usefulness in the real world. You have to remember that Continuum will only be available on certain new high-end handsets.

goldenpipes

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Let's say for a moment that everyone in my history class has a windows 10 phone, with full Powerpoint, and we have to present to the class it would be very useful to just dock my phone to a screen or projector and just share it from my phone. no copying the .ppt to a thumbdrive or emailing it or anything just each person connects to the projector when its their turn.

I feel like this will be a gamechanging feature. I cant wait to see what the future holds.

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

With the understanding that this is half-sarcasm, I can see a future where that happens, not just Microsoft but all software.

NeXTStep/Objective-C already had a concept of programs simply sending messages to each other to accomplish tasks locally or through a network. Microsoft, with an MVVM paradigm, can send input and return output from local objects or networked services without caring about how it is presented in the view end. It's hard right now, but it's already realistic that all applications could simply be dumb clients that take input and send it to a more powerful networked PaaS (whether Azure/EC2/local-server) for intensive computer crunching that returns output back to a client. Adobe has done that to provide some of its creative suite applications to ChromeOS, so that functionality is still there without (too much) care of what it's running on. Game Streaming relies on similar technology where a more powerful machine runs the game, sends audio-visual output back to the client, and takes input from the client.

That kind of future where things become services that can be smooth and consistent is a doable reality right now, with one of the core bottlenecks being Internet speeds and stigma that there is no way to get near-metal performance unless it's running on the local device.

I think that's also a goal Continuum is preparing for.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the bigger picture is missed here. Continuum is a larger architecture than just phone to presentation. I think it has to do with working with a all form factors possible today. So, they created the feature set this post is about, as subset of that.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Let's say for a moment that everyone in my history class has a windows 10 phone, with full Powerpoint, and we have to present to the class it would be very useful to just dock my phone to a screen or projector and just share it from my phone. no copying the .ppt to a thumbdrive or emailing it or anything just each person connects to the projector when its their turn.

I feel like this will be a gamechanging feature. I cant wait to see what the future holds.
You can already do that if you have a wireless display adapter like Miracast.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Okay that I will admit is a valid use for it, but then again, it's not really something for normal consumers, it's a special use case. Continuum will be useful for certain individuals but won't really have mass market appeal.

I've been trying to say that for a few posts now. I'm glad someone finally understood what I was blabbing about.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for recognizing an obvious benefit. Some have stated the case for using the cloud which is already in widespread use. My issue with that is the inherent security risk of logging on to my account on someone else's computer. I imagine an IT manager would scream if some schmuck compromised a login password on a foreign device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3