I don't see Continuum as game changer, what is the practical use of Continuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the potential of Continuum is great. But its success depends on the availability of cool universal apps (e.g. Office).

Smartphones today already have the computing power of a PC. It just needs a smooth OS and light-weight, full-featured apps to make this happen. But the intrinsic limitation of a phone is the small screen size. And that's why Continuum is meaningful.

I think "portable display device" is a highly possible idea - it would be most suitable for people who need to carry tablet/laptop around. Such a device can be much lighter than a tablet (it just has a display + small battery). So plugging in the phone to such a device, with keyboard + trackpad, is virtually a laptop experience. Even for a large screen as big as 12", it can be as light as <400g I guess. (Considering a Surface is just 622g, such a device should be much lighter than a Surface 3...)

I do not expect Continuum a big game changer at its initial launch. But I forsee that such PC experience will be the mainstream in less than 5 years. With that in mind, we should agree that Microsoft is absolutely on the right track.

The future is smartphone + different screen-size devices + cool universal apps. Simple but great. No more tablets, laptops, desktops. When you use a big screen, then you feel like a desktop. When you use a smaller screen, then you feel like a tablet.

It is so interesting to see that computer diverges to so many types (desktop, laptops, tablet, phone) and then finally converge back to a smartphone. It would really be a waste of resource if smartphone can just serve as a smartphone, right?

Last edited:

TheNerosam

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
As a windows phone user myself, i?ve wished for a feature like this. They should allow the phone continuum to cast onto another windows machine (using the full pc screen estate) where I can use and control it remotely including sharing the clipboard with PC.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
So how does Continuum play in this scenario? Simple. Continuum does to hardware what Google tried to do to software. It crushes its value. It moves the focus away from the device onto the task. The HoloLens guy said it perfectly - it's not the device that's mobile, it's you. So with Continuum Microsoft can move into controlling the three most important business models in the tech sector - hardware, which is being reduced in value, alternative business models in which they're growing and software where they're rapidly returning to a position of dominance.

There are a few problems with that:
1)Most people use laptops, not desktop PCs. Continuum would require some kind of laptop-docking-station to satisfy that usage.
2)Laptops are cheap. For $200 you can get a laptop that perform better than a phone.
3)The phone is more important than the PC. iPhone users won't switch to WP just to save $200 on a PC.
4)The barriers to enter are low. I think Google could announce their own continuum in a few months.

Microsoft can't provide a good PC experience only with software, hardware is also needed. SOCs are so cheap that reusing the SOC of the phone doesn't make a big difference in cost. The user still has to buy, carry and connect the other hardware components to replicate the PC user experience.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The thing is if I have to carry only 1520 to get the camera job done it was acceptable, but instead of just carrying the 1520 if I MUST have to carry 18-36mm lens + tripod +external Flash that would be a problem.
that is what exactly how continuum is.

Exactly. There will always be people that need more computing power, and for those, continuum isn't the solution.

However, what percentage of the population needs to carry 18-36mm lens + tripod + external Flash in addition to a phablet?

The vast majority of people today only use a "computing device" (whether it be smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer) to surf the net, do email, and perhaps word processing. A few more even balance their checkbook on it, but most aren't that responsible.

Since retirement, I sold my octa-core 5.2GHz overclocked, water-cooled monstrosity that had 16GB RAM and 3 GPUs and 4TB HDD, 256GB SSD, and triple monitor setup. I now have a lowly i5 processor with only 6GB RAM in my touchscreen laptop. I have a 500GB HDD in the laptop of which I use less than 50GB, which includes the OS (Windows 8.1). I have an additional 100+GB on my OneDrive where I get 1TB with my Office 365 Subscription.

It wasn't when I retired I decided I needed less computing power. It was when I decided I didn't need to play these cutting-edge, latest in graphics intensity games on my computer. I freed up over a terabyte of space just by deleting those games.

The games I play now, which are good games, can all be played on my phone. I have them as universal apps and have the same game on the phone as on my laptop. While my phone plays them just fine, I prefer my touchscreen laptop to play them.

For me, and hundreds of people like me who primarily surf while occasionally needing to be productive, continuum will fill a void.

----------------------

Here is the real kicker. I showed my wife what Continuum is all about. She isn't really into needing technology or wanting gadgets. She refuses to buy a smart phone. She already has a laptop, so this isn't something you would think she would like. However, when I asked her, "When your laptop finally dies, would you spend the laptop money on a phone like this or a new laptop?" She says she would opt for the phone, because this would actually make a smartphone useful for her for the first time in her life.

Yeah, I'm retired. I know what you're thinking. The old woman isn't into tech because she's old. Nope. She's only 33, and very much part of the tech scene. She simply has no use for a phone that does more than making calls and texting, because she's got the laptop to do everything else and get real work done. Let's face it, even Facebook is better on a laptop than a phone, I don't care how good your app is or how big your phone's screen is.

She likes the idea that someday she could use her phone instead of the laptop, and pull out something thinner and lighter than a Surface Pro 3, but that size, and get some real work done. I think within 5 years, all the Continuum phones (which by that time will be all windows phones) will be Intel based, and we'll have access to all the little traditional desktop apps when we connect to the larger screen.

Like several have said in this thread already, the version of continuum you see about to emerge is just the first step. One day, it will be a full computer in your pocket.

For those who say that even flagship phones of today don't have the horsepower to be productive, you just don't realize how productive I was able to be on an old IBM 8088 based PC running at 4.77MHz, monochrome text display only (no graphics), 256KB RAM (not MB, KB!), and a 7" green screen monochrome monitor. I'd rather move my recliner than that computer. Think about how much more our phones are today.

ivor1024

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
wow you really don't get it do you? I don't know is it because microsoft is looking ahead or because you are stuck so far behind. This is just a begining of something great and the potential is huge expecially in business area. Right now this is just modified winRT version but this will change once they put intel soc inside our lumias. More gpu power, more ram and storage now when 3D stacked memory is finaly here and things are gonna get sweet pertty fast. Connect your phone to any screen/TV and you have a full blown windows 10 out of your pocket. You don't need a keyboard and mouse because you can use trackpad and keyboard integrated into system or you can hook them both to use a desktop version on the big screen while your phone OS works independently.

I couldn't care less if someone find it less interesting then me but I would pretty much benefit from this feature...literally carrying a PC in my pocket

and talking about ubuntu...where is it now lol

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I don't see "Continuum" as game changer

Ubuntu has this feature way back so this is not new and nor its discovered by Microsoft.

Different implementation, Different Philosophies. Maybe on the face of it (client perspective) what you say is true. Then again, Continuum is technically a game changer at a client perspective :)

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The thing is if I have to carry only 1520 to get the camera job done it was acceptable, but instead of just carrying the 1520 if I MUST have to carry 18-36mm lens + tripod +external Flash that would be a problem.
that is what exactly how continuum is.

Pretty much. How many people use Office Macros? How many people require VB scripts? Need is a relative word.
Can't even say Continuum will change the way people work, as that's exactly what it tries not to do haha...

Like many things, Continuum is what we make of it. Not trying to argue with you, against Continuum :/

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
You don't need a keyboard and mouse because you can use trackpad and keyboard integrated into system or you can hook them both to use a desktop version on the big screen while your phone OS works independently.

Using the phone as a keyboard and touchpad would produce an awful PC experience.
The idea of carrying a PC in your pocket is misleading. A PC requires a big screen, a keyboard, a pointing device and PC apps. You don't have any of that in your pocket. Microsoft can't simulate that kind of hardware with software and continuum doesn't run x86 software.
Continuum requires too many conditions to provide only a compromised PC experience, that makes it impractical in most situations and irrelevant for most people.

and talking about ubuntu...where is it now lol

Canonical said they're releasing their phone/PC in a few months. They want to beat Microsoft at being the first.

sweatshopking

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

That's actually largely what I assume is going to happen. Qqing about phones operating systems is silly when it only matters for a short time

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
To get a big PC or full laptop experience you still need a full-sized keyboard, at least a trackpad but probably a mouse, and a big monitor. If you have all that stuff available the chances are very good that you will also have a laptop or PC available in that same space--might as well use the much more powerful, more rugged, and cheaper system. Even a crummy PC or laptop is far more powerful than a great phone, But, even if the phone was uber powerful, you still need the keyboard, mouse, and monitor--just no getting around that for most work-related things. For road warriors it would be a pain to carry all that crap, so they carry laptops, and know that sometimes they can plug into a nice big monitor, keyboard, and regular mouse where they are going but they can't count on it. There are some physical limitations we just can't get around--it's why I think smart watches are doomed. The screens are either too small to use or too big to want to wear. It's either one or the other.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I hope someone makes an alternative app for those who won't be user the newer Microsoft Phone for this one feature, because I may not use it all the time, but there are times when I may be near a desktop and to hook up my phone and access my phone like a desktop would be great, so much flexibility.

Good to hear we will be able to use Android apps with Windows 10, I look forward to that as well.

Michael Bennink

May 8, 2014
Visit site
You dont have to carry that. You'll have a monitor, mouse and keyboard waiting on your desk thats syncs over bluetooth with your phone as soon as you'll enter your home or office. On the road your phone will suffice :)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I hope someone makes an alternative app for those who won't be user the newer Microsoft Phone for this one feature, because I may not use it all the time, but there are times when I may be near a desktop and to hook up my phone and access my phone like a desktop would be great, so much flexibility.
It'll be hard to make an app that replaces hardware (with acceptable performance). There's other ways of doing similar things, but not at the same performance level.
Good to hear we will be able to use Android apps with Windows 10, I look forward to that as well.
Windows 10 Mobile won't be able to use Android apps, it will be able to use ports of Android apps. The difference being that the developers still need to (want to) port them over to the Microsoft way.

ivor1024

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Using the phone as a keyboard and touchpad would produce an awful PC experience.
The idea of carrying a PC in your pocket is misleading. A PC requires a big screen, a keyboard, a pointing device and PC apps. You don't have any of that in your pocket. Microsoft can't simulate that kind of hardware with software and continuum doesn't run x86 software.
Continuum requires too many conditions to provide only a compromised PC experience, that makes it impractical in most situations and irrelevant for most people.

Using phone as keyboard and touchpad would definitely be more than enough in necessary situation and obviously you won't use it as your main accessory..

I don't know where did you find these requirements for a PC but you couldn't be more wrong. Times are changing and so is the idea of a PC. The only requirements are the tasks it can carry out in a users hands.

It's like you didn't even understand what I wrote before. I was refering to a devices that are about to come. There is intel atom soc series based on x86-64 instruction set already capable of running full desktop windows 10 with both x64 and x86 apps. So merging windows phone with windows desktop using continuum on a same device powerd by future and more powerfull intel atom soc would make a pretty nice combination. This is the pocket PC I was talking about, a hardware available in a few years from now...basically all you'll need is a big screen to hook it up and you are ready to go. If you add keyboard and mouse, you have all you need

At some point this is going to happend but you can't see it because of your limited knowledge and lack of imagination

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure VMware, Citrix, Microsoft and other vendors of VDI, remote desktops/thin (or zero) clients would disagree.
There's always going to be a niche for big horsepower on a few desks. But that number of desks is getting smaller.

Mark Wright1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I could see a family using it....
if they have a PC everyone uses then you could use the larger palette with you phone and not have to
login /switch users to save stuff to onedrive. meh its just another option which is good to have and it does things the other phones cannot.

mandong

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

My three children only use the PC when they need to use MS Office to do homework otherwise they're just on their phones reading manga, using Skype with friends, listening to Spotify, watching YouTube.

With Continuum I don't have to buy them separate PCs and phones next time.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
If MS integrates hololens in continnum , working on your phones, PCs, or XBOX will be at completely different level.
I guess i've taken it too far , haven't I ?

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
This is the funniest thing I ever saw. What's the point of carrying a laptop sized monitor and keyboard and connect your phone just yo use office apps?

Absolutely agree! If this is what people it will fail. But this is not what I see as what they should be targeting at all.

So I agree and disagree that will not a game changer. I mean it can be a game changer if the following comes out soon IMHO ...

The problem of the above is because it does not make anything better. Your phone needs to be docked so while in operation the phone is lost. And as per picture shown the over all thing looks as thin and light as a Surface 3 or MacBook, yet under performing even further. It's silly.

But what if we did not need to dock the phone? Yes, if the all thing could be done wirelessly? Yes, I mean a wireless display, touch and pen enabled, retina level quality, with the phone pushing the visual elements to the display wirelessly at 60fps? Couldn't the display be extremely thin, thinner then an iPad Air. Imagine a display as thin or thinner then a Surface 3 type cover?

Speculate on what this combination can do for consumers. People buy larger phones because they want similar tablet experience for it so they are ready to bite the bullet and put up with the nuisance of having a bulkier unit on the hand all the time. That is for them better then having a smaller phone and still have another device as bulkier then the phone, that costs de same or more, erodes the same performance wise, furthermore it cannot make phone calls (now it can when iPad is paired with the iPhone but ir does not solve the other issues). This can potentially solve all these usability problems.

The reason why phones come up with multiple forms and sizes is precisely to accommodate this duality between a tablet and a phone.

Now with something like this, the consumer could go out., buy a phone, say the size of a Lumia 930 (awesome) and buy a separate display with this features. There could even be different display sizes (7", 9", 12"). The displays could have different coating, say more rugged for people that use ther pen or read books a lot, or shiny for people that prefer a cinematic experience.

Think, this is a display that is as thin as a Type Cover. If I want a more performing phone, say that take better shots, just buy one, the display is reusable (no connectors, nothing apart for the thing needed to charge the display).

I'm speculating that such thing could be built considering such a display would not require a regular CPU, GPU, RAM or DISK. The entire back of the display could be filled with a battery and a special low energy processor that takes care of sending and receiving ui elements elements and input action back and fourth to the Windows 10 Phone.

I see this as disruptive thing of how smartphones are perceived. It does not take hold of the phone has on dock is required, it complements it. It improves it into a Tablet that students for instance can use to take notes in a lecture, business people for meetings, regular people for reading and so on.

Yes, one could still buy a Type Cover for task that need it.

Keeping on the speculation about the possibilities of this why stop here? We are thinking Continuum across all Windows 10 devices right?

So what if such a display could not only be paired with a Windows 10 Phone but also the same display device, literally, could be paired with our Windows 10 desktop or laptop?

I have a Surface Pro 3, I love it, yet the more I use it the more the more I understand its limitations. It's the same problem has docking the phone to have continuum, When I turn to use it as a regular laptop I loose some of benefits of having a tablet. For one, I can no longer take notes with pen over something that I'm seeing. I also have the docking station. When docked, that it, the tablet is gone most of the day. Yes I could buy another tablet, but cloud sync can only do so much for an experience and back to the usual difficulties of upgrading multiple devices and so on and so forth.

This would be the solution.

Keeping on the speculation why not thinking about pairing this with XBOX One? Couldn't new games be built, like Wii U stuff and so on?

So what is the problem? The problem seams to be that the wireless display tech needs to evolve faster. The company that stands to gain the most of this at the moment is Microsoft with its Windows 10 OS. It's not Apple, it's not Google, it's not Samsung, LG, HTC and so on. It's MS. So it's MS that should drive this tech into the future by coming up with the technical solution for building such as display, period.

All efforts such as Continuum for phones that require docking phones or hybrids for optimum performance will always pale. There is a physical disconnect that needs to be technically solved. Devices are extremely important, devices are important for software, they are! If not, how else the iPhone could have disrupted the market so much? It makes no sense building a vision, a marketing spiel, that diminishes its importance, it's not what we see, it's not what humans experience, it's a flawed abstraction. Yes, build once, run everywhere is something important for developer, it can potentially reduce development costs, yet everywhere but where? That is the question that needs answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon