Windows 10? Will people really adopt it

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Today, I was talking about Win8 with my friend. He says its confusing.. They still use desktop and icon for launching apps. He was asking how to get app icon on desktop.. ??? Ppl don't use start search (debuted in vista).. Icon on taskbar (debuted in 7)...to launch app. Desktop and desktop shortcuts It is what people asking for! Still I see desktop filled with icons... They love to minimize all windows and launch app from desktop (using desktop shortcut) rather than using taskbar or start search to launch apps. That's why ppl liked android or ios coz it gave icons.. But when start menu went full screen (start screen) .. Ppl were lost! Though they could go to desktop.. They got frustrated. They dint knew tiles are multifunctional they can b dumb icons or informative tiles.. Start was just there .. They could get apps with start search if not via pinning or app list! Till ppl adopt same Win10 won't c much success.. Resistance to change needs to be reduced!

Last edited:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I've encountered anyone confused by live tiles. Sometimes developers do confusing things with them, such as rotate useless tiles with useful ones, but that's a different problem.

When WP8 first came out it tested higher in usability than iOS or android for novice smartphone users.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
He was asking how to app icon on desktop.. ??? Ppl don't use start search (debuted in vista).. Icon on taskbar (debuted in 7)...
A lot of people try to compare Windows OS with Apple's OSX and the "dock" which is pretty nice. And I see a lot of folks that use the Windows desktop as a Launchpad for all their documents. They don't even file them in a folder. Whatever works.

And personally, I really don't see what all the hate is concerning Win8. A third party start menu app is all it takes to bring you back into the realm of Windows 7. Granted, Window 8 is basically like using 2 different environments but that's ok because I use a tablet when on the go and dock that tablet at a desk.

My fear now is that Win10 will take away some of the tablet experience I enjoy with Win8 now.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry ppl .. I have edited it.. There was several mistakes..

All I was taking about launch pad to open apps..

Ppl still use desktop shortcuts (icons) to open apps.. They create shortcuts and open app rather than using start search to find app or even use taskbar pinning (pin to taskbar) to open apps

Whn ppl came across Start screen they were confused .. Where is my start menu? How to open apps? Where is my desktop? What are these flipping boxes?? They couldn't figure out they are tiles which can work as app icon to launch app as well as display info when expanded!

Till people realize it.. Win10 won't c much success! They will still shun it seeing tiles! Majorly wp won't c love coz of it!

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm using win10 on phones...some of the changes I do like. Example is the circle icons in people. They look "cleaner" but the text and icons are too small and too android/ios-ish. I bought a wp cause it was different. Kind of loud, bold, in your face. And I love the swipe ui (example Xbox music. Swipe to move through options. Songs artists etc) even though its still there it seems more minimal now. And everything seems "smaller". If MS wants to be a competing OS. PLEASE COMPETE! And not do what everyone else is doing. People may not like change so much, but we all pride ourselves on being unique and different.

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes ...win10 has lost many charms of Win8. It is not same.. It is lot of compromises!

I agree. I have been using the Technical Preview for a few months now, and like it, but there are a few things from Windows 8 (such as the Charms Bar) that I miss. I'll definitely upgrade to Windows 10 as I see a lot of potential, but I'm hoping that tablet mode will become a lot smoother as time goes on. I think Windows 10 certainly looks promising, and look forward to seeing Continuum in all its glory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos