Windows 10= Nokia X pt.2

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Why are you still with Win10/Microsoft?
(Aka Why I just realized Windows 10 reminds me a lot of Nokia X lol)

Just a little snippet of a convo I had earlier with my Android and IOS friends about why stay with Windows....
I actually got asked this question by two good friends of mine. One is an avid iPhone user and the other, poor thing, is an Android user. I've tried to help him but he likes android/google so i'll leave it to prayer for his affliction. Kidding ;)

Anyway we were at work and discussing things on our breaks about the tech world and my friend, Alex, asked me point blank why I was with Microsoft?

I said I enjoy Windows a lot.

To which it opened a lot of debate and we were discussing the 3 companies and then it made me realize....

How on earth is Microsoft's new ideology really good for the overall Windows 10 ecosystem by giving everything to the competitors? Sometimes even better versions and leaving their own OS/users in the dark/limbo for months at a time.

Yes it is good that they are more open and I can understand that thought process and I applaud that. But even Google wasn't THIS open in the early days of Android. Google also never(or rarely did so) never released better versions of their own apps on the iPhone and if they did, it wasn't that far off with their own release.

MY friend brought a good point

"With all things Microsoft going to everyone....why would I be more inclined to move to Windows 10 if I can pretty much get the same exact thing on my ipad/iPhone with no issue? Sure it may not be 100 percent cohesive but it really is no different than an iPhone user who uses google products. They don't need a cohesive android experience to still experience all google has to offer. I don't need to go Windows anymore to get the best version of office. I technically already have that before you...."

I really couldn't say anything other than "Well whatever." because he really is right.

Of course my android friend chimed in

"At the end of the day, all you really have left are tiles and if I truly wanted that, we've had launchers for years on Android that can fake it enough to be more appealing. That's the beauty of android."

In reality it almost seems like the new Microsoft is actually further empowering the other OS with more weapons. It's like going to war but giving your competitors your best weapons for it to be used against you.

I did make them laugh when I mentioned "I still have the best camera."

Of course given how Lumia camera is apparently going to all Windows devices, it wouldn't surprise me to see lumia camera for android lmao.

I do wonder if I am being too stubborn and should I really consider an iPhone or an android phone(Sigh) :p
But listening to the same BS excuses about why everything going to Apple/IOS is good is like listening to the same BS excuses about why Nokia X is a good thing lol.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You got a point but if a iPhones user "only" uses Microsoft products and W10 gets better apps why should you pay the premium for a IPhone?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You got a point but if a iPhones user "only" uses Microsoft products and W10 gets better apps why should you pay the premium for a IPhone?

You're implying the app situation is definitely going to get better. IPhone already has the apps now it has Microsoft products. Most people would choose the established os and not the work in progress.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
You're implying the app situation is definitely going to get better. IPhone already has the apps now it has Microsoft products. Most people would choose the established os and not the work in progress.

People is not a homogeneous mass, some people die for apps, others couldn't care less. If Windows 10 bring more apps and features, some people might jump in, then a bigger user base would attract more developers and apps, which would attract more users...and so on. It's like starting a virtuous circle, a slow process.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

And you know for sure that the app situation definitely never will be improve?
For WP every new app is basically a improvement.
Furthermore I used the word "if".

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless the situation has changed in the past 2 weeks, Microsoft apps on iOS are NOT the same. You still can't attach files to an email (links to OneDrive are not files). There is no contact integration with Outlook except for contacts you've sent emails to in the past. Android natively let's you attach files to your heart's content so I don't see the value in using Outlook and Docs To Go has seamless OneDrive and Dropbox integration.

From a functional standpoint, Android has it all over iOS and WP in spades. My problem is with Google the company. Actually, BB OS10 kills either one in staying connected to the desktop and it ain't even close. From what I've read, Windows 10 will close the gap with BB quickly and more effectively. It's iOS's business-class sector who should be looking over their shoulder. If you don't believe me just check W8.1 tablet sales and compare them to the nosediving iPad sales. That trend will continue and even the rumored iPad Pro won't stem the tide.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Unless the situation has changed in the past 2 weeks, Microsoft apps on iOS are NOT the same. You still can't attach files to an email (links to OneDrive are not files). There is no contact integration with Outlook except for contacts you've sent emails to in the past. Android natively let's you attach files to your heart's content so I don't see the value in using Outlook and Docs To Go has seamless OneDrive and Dropbox integration.

From a functional standpoint, Android has it all over iOS and WP in spades. My problem is with Google the company. Actually, BB OS10 kills either one in staying connected to the desktop and it ain't even close. From what I've read, Windows 10 will close the gap with BB quickly and more effectively. It's iOS's business-class sector who should be looking over their shoulder. If you don't believe me just check W8.1 tablet sales and compare them to the nosediving iPad sales. That trend will continue and even the rumored iPad Pro won't stem the tide.

And with this cross platform methodology they have it wont be surprising to see them bring feature parity for the most part to android and ios to have those limitations removed which then brings back the original point...why go windows10.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And with this cross platform methodology they have it wont be surprising to see them bring feature parity for the most part to android and ios to have those limitations removed which then brings back the original point...why go windows10.
Why go Windows 10? At this point, my answer would be "I don't know". I'll have to actually see it as a finished product to know if I'll use it or not.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You're absolutely right. The main reason I'm using Outlook for Android is because I use desktop Windows Outlook, not webmail. It's easier to manage multiple accounts on desktop using a client, rather than Outlook.com, Gmail, and others in browsers.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It is very premature to judge Windows 10 based on what we've seen with the TP. As Laura mentioned, I too would like to see what the retail release will bring. I don't see myself upgrading away from 7 anytime soon but I may do it with one of my secondary machines to judge the cohesion between desktop and mobile.

As for the apps, I don't think it will have an adverse affect on WP sales or future adoption. Android and iOS are who they are and folks are very aware of their strengths and weaknesses. We're on WP because we choose to be or simply don't like the alternatives. I'm of the belief that this cross-platform strategy will help MS rather than hurt. If people aren't looking at WP on their own initiative, maybe getting a taste of what the UI is like on their present devices is enough to at least take a peek. If just 1 in 10 Android users switches to WP because they liked the apps and want their UI to be the same throughout, the market share just tripled. Food for thought.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The way I see it, Microsoft's current strategy is a setup for a long term investment in Windows 10 Mobile devices. Basically Microsoft is betting big on two important things.

• Universal Apps & HoloLens
  • Getting people away from opposing apps and services

Universal apps + HoloLens because well, obviously the current store lacks support & the two store idea was idiotic to begin with, so with the ability to share core code & offer a device, such as HoloLens, which presents a unique and exciting experience, Microsoft hopes to gain some much needed developer support. As for bullet #2, Microsoft is busy acquiring and developing great cross platforms apps that consumers actually like and want to use in hopes of removing people (and their dependency) from Google & iOS apps & services and over to Microsoft's apps & services, so that if they ever do swap to a Windows phone,1) They're met with a familiar UI & design & 2) They don't run away screaming because, for example they have no native G-Mail app or iCloud Calendar available.

Aside from lacking 3rd party apps, popular iOS & Google apps missing were another reason Windows Phone went through a period of fluctuation in market share. They're basically attempting to make iOS & Google Android devices essentially become a Microsoft powered device even without running Windows ----ie, you may have noticed Microsoft making deals with quite a few Android OEM's to pre-load Microsoft apps.

As for a big selling point, while I wouldn't call the continuum a feature that's a gamer changer just yet, I would say that a truly consistent experience across devices is the biggest selling point of Windows 10 Mobile. And honestly, neither Android nor iOS have any unique software features that attract people. In general, iOS users usually prefer the ease of use, while Android users prefer the customization of the OS or phone hardware available. Aside from that, they're mainly popular because they both essentially have ALL THE 3RD PARTY APP SUPPORT YOU COULD EVER WANT. It's not because they have Google Now, Siri, Google Docs, etc. exclusive to their OS.

Quick note, sure Apple Pay & Touch ID are great, but in my experience, it never really persuaded any Android users flock to iOS. Just a feature that existing users enjoy. But hey, that's just from what I've seen. And keep in mind, Windows 10 Mobile is still in early stages, we haven't really heard much from Microsoft about what the OS will bring.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I cannot speak to the future and my WP history is spotty so I will chime in with what I know. Your conversation was limited in scope to yourself and your friends and because I do not know you I cannot speak to specifics but I can point some basic things out.

Android:
Android is as big as it is for one primary reason. It's open source. This means it can and does run the best hardware and the worst hardare at the low price of nothing. While your looking at those Android numbers realize that the majority of those devices do not ship with Google services or store. Most OEMs ship devices with their own store and services leading to an inconsistent experience. Add to that recurring memory leaks that have been around since Froyo and you will find Android has delivered a poor experience to this day with nothing but continued promises giving any hope. With Android you throw bigger specs at the problem because the software is and will always be buggy.

iOS:
Take away the fanboys and the hype and what iOS does best is that it simply works smoothly and well and does so with lower powered but well designed hardware. It's main flaw is that iOS is intended (or is a good fit) for those with either a significant disposable income or those who are willing to go into debt. Ultimately they pay even more to exist in the ecosystem.

Windows Phone:
The beauty of WP right now is that it meets you where you are on the socioeconomic scale (like android) , and delivers a consistent and well designed OS that (like iOS) "just works". The intention is to do this with (like Apple) well designed hardware at all price points and providing their software and services with a unified (and eventually superior?) ecosystem.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People is not a homogeneous mass, some people die for apps, others couldn't care less. If Windows 10 bring more apps and features, some people might jump in, then a bigger user base would attract more developers and apps, which would attract more users...and so on. It's like starting a virtuous circle, a slow process.

There are also people like myself who only need a few apps that simply are no longer available on the platform. e.g Chase Mobile App ~_~

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We can pretend that Lumias have the best camera, however that simply is not true ;)
Apple and Samsung really are pushing the boundaries of their sensors.
I'm calling it - the age of Nokia imaging supremacy is over

Microsoft still has a small lead in the optics, however Samsung is ahead in software processing.

If not imaging, price? Certainly seems like there are plenty of budget options... idk anymore, kind of feel like there should have been a true L920 successor by now.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
We can pretend that Lumias have the best camera, however that simply is not true ;)
Apple and Samsung really are pushing the boundaries of their sensors.
I'm calling it - the age of Nokia imaging supremacy is over

Microsoft still has a small lead in the optics, however Samsung is ahead in software processing.

If not imaging, price? Certainly seems like there are plenty of budget options... idk anymore, kind of feel like there should have been a true L920 successor by now.

But that is called competition and that is good for consumers. Why you think Samsung and Apple improve there camera"s.
So you even could state that Samsung and Apple users have to "thank" Nokia for the improved cameras they can use.
(And who know maybe they need to use Microsoft patents to use some of the improvements)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
There are also people like myself who only need a few apps that simply are no longer available on the platform. e.g Chase Mobile App ~_~

Indeed and it is clear that android and iphone have better app support.
But luckily the Chase bank is not the only bank in the world so it is bad luck for the unlucky "few".
(And to make is more clear the world is a lot bigger then the US only)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte