Windows 10= Nokia X pt.2

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
We can pretend that Lumias have the best camera, however that simply is not true ;)
Apple and Samsung really are pushing the boundaries of their sensors.
I'm calling it - the age of Nokia imaging supremacy is over
Microsoft still has a small lead in the optics, however Samsung is ahead in software processing.

If not imaging, price? Certainly seems like there are plenty of budget options... idk anymore, kind of feel like there should have been a true L920 successor by now.

There's no need to pretend :) They do <3
it's why even the low end Lumias and mid-range devices are still outperforming other competing products within their price points as well.

Having used a Galaxy S6, there really is nothing impressive about its software although for once, using a Samsung phone doesn't feel like cheap crap to me, so theres an improvement. Only took them 6 generations to make quality hardware.

It's a bit premature for us to say whether the reign is over because Microsoft has yet to release anything to compete. A lumia 830 and a Lumia 640 XL are the best cameras they've released so far for lumia products. When they have flagships out then we can safely say.

And i'd hope that Samsung/Apple and others would have been able to close the gap in imaging...the last Lumia flagship came out in 2013(the Icon/930 are newer I think, but they still have the same camera as the 1520 which is 2013).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
it's why even the low end Lumias and mid-range devices are still outperforming other competing products within their price points as well.

Having used a Galaxy S6, there really is nothing impressive about its software although for once, using a Samsung phone doesn't feel like cheap crap to me, so theres an improvement. Only took them 6 generations to make quality hardware.

It's a bit premature for us to say whether the reign is over because Microsoft has yet to release anything to compete. A lumia 830 and a Lumia 640 XL are the best cameras they've released so far for lumia products. When they have flagships out then we can safely say.

And i'd hope that Samsung/Apple and others would have been able to close the gap in imaging...the last Lumia flagship came out in 2013(the Icon/930 are newer I think, but they still have the same camera as the 1520 which is 2013).

LG G3 has a great camera. The LG G4 is even better. Let's not think great cameras are only on Lumias. I'm still waiting for Canon or Nikon to get in on the action on day. That would be interesting...

The Icon/L930 was 2014.

We have to wait to see what the flagships will bring. If there will be a replacement for the 1020 etc...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Speaking from a person who went from WP to Android and continues to play around with WP I have to say that I'm neither disappointed with Android or WP. Both have pluses and minuses. Though I have to admit there are things on WP the continue to annoy me.

The MS apps on Android are great so I don't miss WP all that much. Which is one of the issues that the OP has been mentioning with having MS apps on other platforms. The apps are not that bad at all. I'm used to the Android interface because I used Symbian for a while so it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm going to wait and see how W10 plays out before I decide if going back to Windows Mobile is a good idea or not. At this moment in time I can't really say one way or the other.

I'm quite happy on Android at the moment and have no complaints as a person who is a fairly light user when it comes to smartphone use.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Why are you still with Win10/Microsoft?
(Aka Why I just realized Windows 10 reminds me a lot of Nokia X lol)

Just a little snippet of a convo I had earlier with my Android and IOS friends about why stay with Windows....
I actually got asked this question by two good friends of mine. One is an avid iPhone user and the other, poor thing, is an Android user. I've tried to help him but he likes android/google so i'll leave it to prayer for his affliction. Kidding ;)

Anyway we were at work and discussing things on our breaks about the tech world and my friend, Alex, asked me point blank why I was with Microsoft?

I said I enjoy Windows a lot.

To which it opened a lot of debate and we were discussing the 3 companies and then it made me realize....

How on earth is Microsoft's new ideology really good for the overall Windows 10 ecosystem by giving everything to the competitors? Sometimes even better versions and leaving their own OS/users in the dark/limbo for months at a time.

Yes it is good that they are more open and I can understand that thought process and I applaud that. But even Google wasn't THIS open in the early days of Android. Google also never(or rarely did so) never released better versions of their own apps on the iPhone and if they did, it wasn't that far off with their own release.

MY friend brought a good point

"With all things Microsoft going to everyone....why would I be more inclined to move to Windows 10 if I can pretty much get the same exact thing on my ipad/iPhone with no issue? Sure it may not be 100 percent cohesive but it really is no different than an iPhone user who uses google products. They don't need a cohesive android experience to still experience all google has to offer. I don't need to go Windows anymore to get the best version of office. I technically already have that before you...."

I really couldn't say anything other than "Well whatever." because he really is right.

Of course my android friend chimed in

"At the end of the day, all you really have left are tiles and if I truly wanted that, we've had launchers for years on Android that can fake it enough to be more appealing. That's the beauty of android."

In reality it almost seems like the new Microsoft is actually further empowering the other OS with more weapons. It's like going to war but giving your competitors your best weapons for it to be used against you.

I did make them laugh when I mentioned "I still have the best camera."

Of course given how Lumia camera is apparently going to all Windows devices, it wouldn't surprise me to see lumia camera for android lmao.

I do wonder if I am being too stubborn and should I really consider an iPhone or an android phone(Sigh) :p
But listening to the same BS excuses about why everything going to Apple/IOS is good is like listening to the same BS excuses about why Nokia X is a good thing lol.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
There are also people like myself who only need a few apps that simply are no longer available on the platform. e.g Chase Mobile App ~_~

I bank with chase. When I was with android on a note 2 I had the app crash on me enough that I began using the web portal instead. When I moved to WP I simply turned the webportal home page to a tile and it was basicly like having a simple app. I never used the Chase app when it was on the store, I do not miss it now, and I will likely ignore the universal app that is in the pipeline.

My point? Web portals exist, and work fine. Use them....really. OH YEA...The lamination on the Android side I've been hearing lately is how many companies are turning their apps into fronts for web portals. Go figure.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LG G3 has a great camera. The LG G4 is even better. Let's not think great cameras are only on Lumias. I'm still waiting for Canon or Nikon to get in on the action on day. That would be interesting...

The Icon/L930 was 2014.

We have to wait to see what the flagships will bring. If there will be a replacement for the 1020 etc...

The Lumia 930/icon were released in 2014, yes but the camera is the same exact camera found in my 1520 which is a 2013 device.

I am sure there good cameras on android and I have experience with the iPhone to speak highly of it but the only camera to come close to matching Lumia cameras for me with little to no compromise are Sony. Which is exactly what the tech professional always note. Lumia windows phones are noted for their spectacular cameras within the low end, mid range and premium categories which few android OEMs can compete with presently :)

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Superboy Micah - you said you enjoyed windows , so i think either you dont have problems with it even regarding ecosystem , hardware,or anything else or you simply ignored all or few of the flaws (just like i did). Most of my friends have android with nexus dominating those numbers and two of them carry iphone 5s , i am the only one with L1520 and they spent their first encounter with my phone telling me what it doesnt do and what it does. I silently analyzed what they said and realized that none of the flaws they pointed out was important to me, and i guess i am one of the few lucky ones who didnt have any touch issues either.

About apps , if you miss them then either wait for them to be ported to win or to be improved if they arent good or you may switch to ios or android anytime, market is full of them. But if you really enjoy your phone you dont need to bother about what people say .

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Superboy Micah - you said you enjoyed windows , so i think either you dont have problems with it even regarding ecosystem , hardware,or anything else or you simply ignored all or few of the flaws (just like i did). Most of my friends have android with nexus dominating those numbers and two of them carry iphone 5s , i am the only one with L1520 and they spent their first encounter with my phone telling me what it doesnt do and what it does. I silently analyzed what they said and realized that none of the flaws they pointed out was important to me, and i guess i am one of the few lucky ones who didnt have any touch issues either.

About apps , if you miss them then either wait for them to be ported to win or to be improved if they arent good or you may switch to ios or android anytime, market is full of them. But if you really enjoy your phone you dont need to bother about what people say .
That's an accurate assessment :) I do actively enjoy windows phone and what not for what it is and isn't. Though i also find myself getting bored at times with it as well. But looking at the other oses, I really can't see myself actually using android. IOS is a possibility but just 8 months ago I had the chance to get a 6 plus, got it and winded up returning it. It wasn't bad. Just wasn't windows.

Of course the worse thing about windows 10 is not so much the OS for phones and desktop but the mentality Microsoft has now that in my opinion stripped the OS or most of its unique selling points.

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
This is just my two cents, so I may be wrong overall, or correct. So for the record, I use a Lumia 1020 as my main device. I also have a Nexus 7 tablet which I use just as frequently as my phone. I have no iOS device yet (i'm still a student ! money dont come easily). But anyway, yes. I have tried out the MS service on both my tablet and my secondary 920 running Windows 10. So yeah. My thoughts ? They are all equally great in their own ways, and there's no one is better than the other (okay, maybe there is, but I still don't know). But my point is, if you look at the bigger picture of what MS is doing by releasing Office for android and whatnot, you will start to notice that, they are not 100% forcing you to buy their product (note: not 100%) in order to enjoy the best of their service. So even if you use and android phone, and you use their product, you are still under them. Look at the even bigger picture, they kind of realized that they can't force people to buy their product, because not many will want to due to social norms, but if they were to still use their service, they would still be using MS product in a way, and if its good, they would want to use more, hence the relatively good performance of the MS apps on other platform. If you saw the news the past few days, you see Windows 10 will work perfectly with any android or ios device, and they would get you MS apps. What's more, if you observe MS, you can see that they are living up to their new mantra of a mobile first, cloud first company, and they are going back to their roots of making software, good software for everyone. Their new bottom line is, even if you use another platform, we dont care. As long as you use our services, we still love you. But hey, I can be totally wrong in what I say here, because this is just what i think.

As for OP original post, I asked myself the same question "Why should I still use a Lumia" quite a bit too. I was very tempted to get a Z3, but as I decided not too, as the situation now is still too early to judge/jump ship. I would be waiting for IFA this year, and I shall see what they bring to the table. I may either get the phablet lumia flagship, or the Xperia Z5, but time will tell.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
We can pretend that Lumias have the best camera, however that simply is not true ;)

Microsoft still has a small lead in the optics, however Samsung is ahead in software processing.

If not imaging, price? Certainly seems like there are plenty of budget options... idk anymore, kind of feel like there should have been a true L920 successor by now.

The last Lumia flagship came out a year ago. Of course The competition is gonna keep running and pass us sooner or later. Whether or not the Microsoft Flagship and Microsoft Flagship XL will get back up, run faster, and take the lead again... Who knows?

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
I did make them laugh when I mentioned "I still have the best camera."

Of course given how Lumia camera is apparently going to all Windows devices, it wouldn't surprise me to see lumia camera for android lmao.

Nah Lumia Camera's got nothin to do with Carl Zeiss Awesomeness :devil:

You got a point but if a iPhones user "only" uses Microsoft products and W10 gets better apps why should you pay the premium for a IPhone?

Never Used an iPhone. Never will. Too freaking expensive. If I was gonna buy another phone it would be Android>WindowsPhone>Blackberry>WebOS>MeeGo>BADA>iPhone lol

You're implying the app situation is definitely going to get better. IPhone already has the apps now it has Microsoft products. Most people would choose the established os and not the work in progress.

Agreed. Although seriously I still think Microsoft is set for WORLD DOMINATION but that's just my opinion. (Windows Apps on Android & iOS & Windows Mobile!!!!)

Based on the last 4 years, history agrees with me.

Agreed.

I can't seem to load the article's website at the moment lol. Anyway Carl Zeiss still beats other phones. I got my "Poor Man's Phablet" L640XL to back up my statement. And yeah, there's still camera comparisons for S6 VS L640XL to check out if you've already started to google it and NO it doesn't beat it cause its 1/3 of the price or somethin like that :cry:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
What I wanna know is why Nokias android phone got a cool name like "Nokia X" while windows phone over here is getting 1520, 925,625,546,826,825,5284,82&3837369448(393838,etc

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bank with chase. When I was with android on a note 2 I had the app crash on me enough that I began using the web portal instead. When I moved to WP I simply turned the webportal home page to a tile and it was basicly like having a simple app. I never used the Chase app when it was on the store, I do not miss it now, and I will likely ignore the universal app that is in the pipeline.

My point? Web portals exist, and work fine. Use them....really. OH YEA...The lamination on the Android side I've been hearing lately is how many companies are turning their apps into fronts for web portals. Go figure.

Web portals do exist. The functionality to deposit checks without their mobile apps doesn't ;)))

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Their best image processing exists on the Nokia 808, which went under development in 2008. Their switch to Qualcomm has done them no favors...

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But that is called competition and that is good for consumers. Why you think Samsung and Apple improve there camera"s.
So you even could state that Samsung and Apple users have to "thank" Nokia for the improved cameras they can use.
(And who know maybe they need to use Microsoft patents to use some of the improvements)

Which brings us back to the question -- Why should anyone buy a Lumia?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You honestly can say there is nothing "special" about their software processing? They are years ahead of Nokia/Microsoft :/
If the best Lumia had generic elements and a smaller sensor do you honestly think their software processing could match that of Samsung/Apple?

EDIT: Nokia lost the lead in 2010 when they decided to join the Qualcomm bandwagon. They have been behind for almost 5 years now ;)))

P.S : Competitive pricing in different markets != Superior Product
$30 Galaxy Light trashes the Lumia 430.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The last Lumia flagship came out a year ago. Of course The competition is gonna keep running and pass us sooner or later. Whether or not the Microsoft Flagship and Microsoft Flagship XL will get back up, run faster, and take the lead again... Who knows?

Nokia 808 began development in 2008. N808 was and remains the height of their technological advances in imaging processing. **** hit the fan when they did a 180 with Windows Phone OS.

They have been behind for several years now.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nah Lumia Camera's got nothin to do with Carl Zeiss Awesomeness :devil:

Never Used an iPhone. Never will. Too freaking expensive. If I was gonna buy another phone it would be Android>WindowsPhone>Blackberry>WebOS>MeeGo>BADA>iPhone lol

Agreed. Although seriously I still think Microsoft is set for WORLD DOMINATION but that's just my opinion. (Windows Apps on Android & iOS & Windows Mobile!!!!)

Agreed.

I can't seem to load the article's website at the moment lol. Anyway Carl Zeiss still beats other phones. I got my "Poor Man's Phablet" L640XL to back up my statement. And yeah, there's still camera comparisons for S6 VS L640XL to check out if you've already started to google it and NO it doesn't beat it cause its 1/3 of the price or somethin like that :cry:

I did say that Microsoft had advantages in optics didn't I? It's nice that Microsoft is pushing "budget" phones with great cameras, however it does not change the fact that they are behind in imaging as a whole.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You honestly can say there is nothing "special" about their software processing? They are years ahead of Nokia/Microsoft :/
If the best Lumia had generic elements and a smaller sensor do you honestly think their software processing could match that of Samsung/Apple?

EDIT: Nokia lost the lead in 2010 when they decided to join the Qualcomm bandwagon. They have been behind for almost 5 years now ;)))

P.S : Competitive pricing in different markets != Superior Product
$30 Galaxy Light trashes the Lumia 430.

I can because it is my opinion. And it differs from yours. Also lets keep it realistic.

A Samsung galaxy light is $149.99 its only $30 after rebates. It's also not in the same category as a Lumia 435....a 2 megapixel fix focused camera.

Lets compare it to competing products such as the Lumia 635, Lumia 530, etc and you may have a point there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss