06-24-2015 07:16 AM
61 123
tools
    The ATMs are probably running Windows in some version.
    I remember in the months before XP support ended, there were news articles about how 95% of the worlds ATMs were running Windows XP. It was almost logistically impossible to replace them by April 2014. Upgrading to Windows 7 or something else wasn't an option for many of them because of hardware restrictions.

I have no idea how many of them still run XP, but yes, even the new ones are probably running a Windows OS. And I bet many of the old XP machines have yet to be replaced.

Quite a bit of what actually enables them to do business, is or was based on Microsoft products.
    Are you implying that this obligates them to support all Microsoft's products, including Windows Phone?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-03-2015 07:09 AM
    I remember in the months before XP support ended, there were news articles about how 95% of the worlds ATMs were running Windows XP. It was almost logistically impossible to replace them by April 2014. Upgrading to Windows 7 or something else wasn't an option for many of them because of hardware restrictions.

I have no idea how many of them still run XP, but yes, even the new ones are probably running a Windows OS. And I bet many of the old XP machines have yet to be replaced.

Are you implying that this obligates them to support all Microsoft's products, including Windows Phone?
    You're right about the ATMs. There's a blog post here: http://www.windowscentral.com/atm-in...vor-windows-10

I know a fellow who works for Diebold. I'll have to ask him what's going on with the ATMs.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    06-04-2015 03:34 AM
    Do it man!

Feel free to personalize that email template however you see fit...sort of tailor it a bit for the company you are targeting. For example. I looked at the website for This American Life. My last paragraph reads "I urge you to seriously investigate and consider the opportunity to service a platform that has been responsible for a large part of your success in business. There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs." In your case, I would remove the first sentence and just have it read "There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs."

Edit..Ya, so I did some investigating and poked around the prx.org site (they do the app development). I have a feeling that companies such as this are going to be the stragglers and may never port an app regardless of how easy. Just a vibe. Seem to be VERY Apple oriented and also supportive of Android. Still, need to have our voices heard.

Cheers
    I sent the email, but I'm not counting on them to be into it. This will be like the 2nd or 3rd time I've ever sent them an email to port over to WP. But here's hoping W10 wins them over! :)
    06-04-2015 02:14 PM
    Well...I think that is the point of the projects. Porting is (supposed to be/better be) extremely easy using the existing codebase. Write once, compile twice. How hard can that be to maintain?
    Well, first of all, devs cannot use Google services APIs like the ones they have been maintaining for Android. Will that be an easy change to tweak / port over? I'm not a dev so I cannot answer that myself. But if things are so tightly coupled, it will not be that easy. Secondly, are you so sure that the ported UI elements can be reused so perfectly on Windows Phone especially for Continuum??? I'm skeptic about that.

Last but not least, everything is still an effort after all. Do you think devs will rather spend their time and effort on such a small market, than spending the efforts to develop another app for Android/iOS?? I don't blame them if they are not going to port over any of the apps actually.
    06-04-2015 08:49 PM
    Well, first of all, devs cannot use Google services APIs like the ones they have been maintaining for Android. Will that be an easy change to tweak / port over?

Actually.... Yes it is! Microsoft showed off some hotel all that used Google's mapping API to determine location and they put it into Astoria and it swapped out Google's APIs for Microsoft's Bing mapping APIs. It won't cover everything, but as the technology evolves, it'll cover more and more of GMS.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-05-2015 09:23 AM
    Microsoft showed off some hotel all that used Google's mapping API to determine location and they put it into Astoria and it swapped out Google's APIs for Microsoft's Bing mapping APIs.
    Except it didn't actually work...
    06-05-2015 10:12 AM
    Except it didn't actually work...
    What?
    06-05-2015 10:52 AM
    What?
    The demo failed. First she had to switch devices because the app wouldn't load on the phone she was using. On the backup device the app was already open, but it wouldn't show the map info when prompted. The Bing mapping API didn't seem to work for some reason. They ended up just quickly taking the demo off the screen.
    Laura Knotek and Jas00555 like this.
    06-05-2015 10:56 AM
    The demo failed. First she had to switch devices because the app wouldn't load on the phone she was using. On the backup device the app was already open, but it wouldn't show the map info when prompted. The Bing mapping API didn't seem to work for some reason. They ended up just quickly taking the demo off the screen.
    Oh, the demo! Lol for some reason I thought you meant Project Astoria failed, as in, developers didn't care. I was thinking "its not even out yet, how did it fail?".

Eh, I'd chalk it up to pre release. I saw a few devs on twitter talking about how they're hearing good things about it FWIW.
    tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-05-2015 03:37 PM
    Well... I have thrown up the white flag. I surrender. I have purchased a couple more products that NEED an app. So.. I broke out my mothballed motorola g and started playing around with it. I now have all my Microsoft services and they all sync. A third party app is required to create and edit contacts on the phone, but it is integrated with the contacts so no extra step. I also downloaded and installed WP Launcher. It gives me almost the exact same experience as my Windows Phone. Not ready to switch over just yet. I want to wait until the Sony Xperia Z4 is out for a couple months. Should be much better battery life than my POS 930 with a camera that is almost as nice, if not nicer. And, of course, I'll have a much better experience with those apps that I also have on my Windows Phone (LINE for instance).

Wonder if Google is screwing with Microsoft because I could not get the Outlook app to work correctly. Multi-day events in the calendar would only show up as one day. I tried to set it up as an exchange client. It would connect but not sync anything (email, calendar, contacts). So, I just set up an exchange account in the main Android account settings and it worked like a champ. The Google Calendar app is good and I have another calendar app. Nine works great for email and the contacts are already covered. I also have all the office apps. I'm set!

Since MS now seems to be into getting all of their services working on the other platforms, they ought to come out with a Windows 10 Mobile Android Launcher. How cool would that be? In the mean time, WP Launcher is working nicely.

Too bad, but I'll get back to a Windows Phone when/if MS gets their act together. I'm sure that I'll be constantly fixing connections that are broken until that day, but I don't mind...there always seems to be a solution.

Cheers and thanks for the discussion!
    06-22-2015 02:06 AM
    Nice thread, sometimes I do that with Brazilians company, and sometimes it works =)
    06-24-2015 07:16 AM
61 123