Email companies about porting Android/iOS apps now!

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
A recent Windows Central article: Alleged photo of curved Lumia display hints at Microsoft's flagship Windows Phone | Windows Central included a post with a link to this article Microsoft's Plan To Save Windows Phone: Android And iOS Apps has got me fired up to do something to let companies know about the capability that I have been aware of since first announced. Like many using the Windows platform (phone and PC), I also have an Android (or iOS) device to give me access to apps that I need. I would much rather be totally on Windows hardware, so, I have decided to email the companies that develop apps that I require but only exist on Android or iOS.

"Hello, I'm a Windows Phone and Windows PC user and very comfortable using technology. I find it very frustrating that the Windows platform is not seeing support from the Business and App Developer community.

As a member and wanting to use your services on the platforms I use, I am writing this to inform company name about an upcoming capability for Windows 10. Microsoft is providing developers a way to very easily port existing Android of iOS apps over to Microsoft. Android: https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-astoria iOS: https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-islandwood

I urge you to seriously investigate and consider the opportunity to service a platform that has been responsible for a large part of your success in business. There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs."

These companies need to understand that the Windows platform has been a big part of their business world so to turn their back on them when supporting them looks to now be very easy seems disingenuous.

If you feel as I do, I urge you to do the same.

I realize there are a group of folks that do not feel the same. IMO, you are either being very close-minded OR you are really Google/Apple hacks posting FUD. One complaint is that development for the Windows platform will stop. Maybe. And? The benefit to the developer is that he can code once and have it run on two platforms. That's called efficiency. I literally could not care less about hamburger menus or search/website bar placements or even app look and feel (I'm quite happy with the OS look and feel and usability). ALL of that eventually works itself out. I want the Windows to grow and thrive so I'm 100% behind what Microsoft is doing.

Cheers

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
We currently have certain things going on and in some cases actually managed to book some success, in the form of beta or an acknowledgement that an app is coming (real madrid app for instance; now we already have the app).. http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1/331993-6.htm

But you're being specific to w10 and the "simple" porting options. Keep in mind that the porting will mostly work for simple apps/games (candy crush), MS did try to make that clear..

As for developing an app right now? most devs will avoid w10, because it's still too "buggy"

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has NO choice but to make it easy for developers to port their stuff over from Android or iOS. There is simply no other way to remove the excuse that developers need to create a whole new app for the platform. Personally, I can totally understand that. Code once and run on many (in this case 2) platforms.

Screw the look and feel. All of that distills out in the process. Look at Android and iOS, they are starting to go to a flatter look. Car manufacturers borrow design language from one another. You can see it everywhere you look. So, any ******** about losing what made Windows unique, is kind of bs in my book. Give people what they want. I know you didn't bring any of that up, just reinforcing what I said in the initial post.

Anyway, I've already emailed a couple companies that I'm interested in and will continue to do so. If Microsoft can't deliver on their promise of a program that allows easy porting then too bad for them. IMO, it may be their last chance to be relevant in the mobile space. I've hung in there and will see how this process works out. If Microsoft can't deliver... I really don't know... As much as I hate it, I'd probably go with Apple and still keep my Microsoft services....That decision is a ways off and for now, I'm going to do my part in helping Microsoft help me.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
IMO, it may be their last chance to be relevant in the mobile space. I've hung in there and will see how this process works out. If Microsoft can't deliver... I really don't know... As much as I hate it, I'd probably go with Apple and still keep my Microsoft services....That decision is a ways off and for now, I'm going to do my part in helping Microsoft help me.

Agreed!!! Drop the links, maybe we can all pitch in :) I'll definitely give it a go

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Good plan! Hopefully people will listen!

Issue is that you can make it as easy as pie to port, open the barb doors and lady out a proverbial feast but the companies still have to want to come in. Many may be thinking about it but they won't bite unless there's value for them, return on investment. With the poor sales WP is going to always have an uphill battle. But at least they're finally on a position to make it as easy as possible. Hopefully people will jump on board.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
A recent Windows Central article: Alleged photo of curved Lumia display hints at Microsoft's flagship Windows Phone | Windows Central included a post with a link to this article Microsoft's Plan To Save Windows Phone: Android And iOS Apps has got me fired up to do something to let companies know about the capability that I have been aware of since first announced. Like many using the Windows platform (phone and PC), I also have an Android (or iOS) device to give me access to apps that I need. I would much rather be totally on Windows hardware, so, I have decided to email the companies that develop apps that I require but only exist on Android or iOS.

"Hello, I'm a Windows Phone and Windows PC user and very comfortable using technology. I find it very frustrating that the Windows platform is not seeing support from the Business and App Developer community.

As a member and wanting to use your services on the platforms I use, I am writing this to inform company name about an upcoming capability for Windows 10. Microsoft is providing developers a way to very easily port existing Android of iOS apps over to Microsoft. Android: https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-astoria iOS: https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-islandwood

I urge you to seriously investigate and consider the opportunity to service a platform that has been responsible for a large part of your success in business. There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs."

These companies need to understand that the Windows platform has been a big part of their business world so to turn their back on them when supporting them looks to now be very easy seems disingenuous.

If you feel as I do, I urge you to do the same.

I realize there are a group of folks that do not feel the same. IMO, you are either being very close-minded OR you are really Google/Apple hacks posting FUD. One complaint is that development for the Windows platform will stop. Maybe. And? The benefit to the developer is that he can code once and have it run on two platforms. That's called efficiency. I literally could not care less about hamburger menus or search/website bar placements or even app look and feel (I'm quite happy with the OS look and feel and usability). ALL of that eventually works itself out. I want the Windows to grow and thrive so I'm 100% behind what Microsoft is doing.

Cheers

i started a thread, asking for developers to post the applications they planned to port, the day Microsoft announced the possibility of doing so.

not one single developer replied, even on this windows centric website. i would expected at least a handful, but no , none.

if you email a fill-in-the-blanks-type of email to a company, they might reply, but i doubt it.

what you need, to gain developer attention, is market share.

currently, developing for android or ios guarantees a user base to market applications to. developing for windows phone means 2-4% of that same base.

you have to gain market share to become relevant.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed!!! Drop the links, maybe we can all pitch in :) I'll definitely give it a go

I'm not a huge app user right now, but, the apps that I am required to use on my Android tablet are:
1. Bank of Hawaii (I literally MUST use this app right now until I can fix the current situation)
2. MotoGP I MUST use this app for the additional functionality of the web site.
3. SiriusXM. I would love to be a subscriber so I could use the app on my phone
4. Sony playmemories app allows me to wirelessly transfer pictures to my Android laptop. Would be great to have that same capability with my phone or PC. Hooking up to my PC via USB or transferring by SD card also works.
5. Want to print wirelessly to my HP printer from my Windows phone. Can't since they don't make an app, but I can from my tablet. I can also print from my PC so it's not a problem. I could also send an email from my phone and print as well. Still...

6. LINE on Windows is terrible. Functionality is MUCH improved on Android version. I'll be sending LINE and email to hopefully stop developing the Windows version and just code once and use Android. Again...I get it.. it might not be simple, and Microsoft better dam well make sure it is easy.

I included links to the two Microsoft programs in the email I am using to inform companies. I'm not going to email other companies as I think the request carries much more meaning from a real user of the product.

There must me many users that are much more prolific app users and either carry an iOS/Android device to make up for the deficiency or just suck it up and say "Apps don't matter".

I'm just one person, and doubt it will make any difference. Maybe I'll be an Apple person in the future. Hope not.

Last edited:

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Good plan! Hopefully people will listen!

Issue is that you can make it as easy as pie to port, open the barb doors and lady out a proverbial feast but the companies still have to want to come in. Many may be thinking about it but they won't bite unless there's value for them, return on investment. With the poor sales WP is going to always have an uphill battle. But at least they're finally on a position to make it as easy as possible. Hopefully people will jump on board.

I totally agree with you 100% and have posted those exact sentiments before. We need to make our voices known to the companies whose apps we are interested in being ported to the Windows platform. I listed the few companies I'm interested in/whose products I use and I'll be sending them emails from time to time.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
i started a thread, asking for developers to post the applications they planned to port, the day Microsoft announced the possibility of doing so.

not one single developer replied, even on this windows centric website. i would expected at least a handful, but no , none.

if you email a fill-in-the-blanks-type of email to a company, they might reply, but i doubt it.

currently, developing for android or ios guarantees a user base to market applications to. developing for windows phone means 2-4% of that same base.

Understand and agree. Microsoft has to get into the game somehow and this is their last shot I believe. They can come out with the most kick-**** phone ever made and it will not make a difference worth mentioning.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

You made a thread on this site? That explains why you didn't get any developers responding lol. If you're on this site, and a developer, you've probably already got an app on Windows.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
No doubt Microsoft has been letting developers know about the up and coming Windows 10 for months now. Its only a guess, but when a developer gets and email like the one the OP posted, the developers is thinking its Microsoft spam.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
No doubt Microsoft has been letting developers know about the up and coming Windows 10 for months now. Its only a guess, but when a developer gets and email like the one the OP posted, the developers is thinking its Microsoft spam.

Ya, I agree with you, but that is exactly why I am ONLY emailing those companies that I have an account with, am a member with, do business with. I reference all my account information so they know I am a current user of their products. If you have a better idea on how to formulate the email, I'm all ears.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The idea behind the porting and one-platform was/is to get rid of the "maket share" argument. The availability of all platforms that use windows with just one app will give most a boost in revenue, broader installation base and more data/feedback...

The options are there, the question however is, will developers join?........

Our current developers (some) don't like the idea of others porting over apps and some don't even want to touch w10 yet. Most of them are playing a waiting game to see which developers will port their apps (if we have the official app, will we still use 3rd party option??)

For developers that aren't on the platform yet, it's also a waiting game... The OS needs to be more stable and they need to see the one-platform concept in action.. (The way things are we might end up in a "cold war")

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The idea behind the porting and one-platform was/is to get rid of the "maket share" argument. The availability of all platforms that use windows with just one app will give most a boost in revenue, broader installation base and more data/feedback...

The options are there, the question however is, will developers join?........

Our current developers (some) don't like the idea of others porting over apps and some don't even want to touch w10 yet. Most of them are playing a waiting game to see which developers will port their apps (if we have the official app, will we still use 3rd party option??)

For developers that aren't on the platform yet, it's also a waiting game... The OS needs to be more stable and they need to see the one-platform concept in action.. (The way things are we might end up in a "cold war")

Exactly!! That's why it is up to us users to let businesses/developers know that we are a significant group. It's not obvious that Microsoft has been letting businesses know about their new porting capability. I bet Bank of Hawaii doesn't know. ... Wow... just thinking about it, in a previous life not long ago, the organization I worked for was and continues to be all about iOS apps for a program it develops. I'm going to let some folks know about the new capability (I have access to upper management level folks). They are actually in a position to join in on the testing process of the porting tool. The issue with that is what has been mentioned...prejudices against Microsoft at the developer level, IA level, IT level.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Ya, I agree with you, but that is exactly why I am ONLY emailing those companies that I have an account with, am a member with, do business with. I reference all my account information so they know I am a current user of their products. If you have a better idea on how to formulate the email, I'm all ears.

I do not have a better idea and applaud your efforts. Just curious if the developers are thinking along the lines of "Well, we aren't supporting WP now and this Emailer is still supporting our app, so . . ."

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I do not have a better idea and applaud your efforts. Just curious if the developers are thinking along the lines of "Well, we aren't supporting WP now and this Emailer is still supporting our app, so . . ."

I guess that is the point of this post. Ya, right now, it is just 1 Emailer. It could be more if like minded individuals did the same thing. Actually, I'm hoping to get to folks above developers...somehow let technology ignorant management (they pay their smart guys to worry about technology decisions) know about an untapped market. Believe me, there are a lot of technology ignorant people out there employing folks with prejudices. Maybe...emails like mine will find the right person who will ask, "So... why aren't we looking in to this". Probably won't, but I'm going to try. Others should as well if you feel the same way.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Give us the email addresses and we'll pitch in :p However, for anyone who wants yo join this effort, PLEASE keep in mind to keep it polite, but to the point. Don't give them stick, if they mail back and just flat out say no or just ignore your mail...

Keep it clean, keep it nice; keep it business-like

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks ven07, but, IMO, the effort only means something for folks that have a "vested interest"..someone actually a member or user of the service. I'm only emailing the companies whose apps I need on the Windows platform. If other folks feel likewise, I recommend they do the same for the specific apps in which they are interested. Also, email can be in many forms. Sometimes, companies give an actual email address, other times, they want you to fill in an online form. Almost all companies have a "contact us" button that gets one to the correct area.

I totally agree with you on responses. Keep it civil. Having said that, there are multiple ways of reaching different levels with some (not all) companies. Getting a flat out "no" response from a company that has several avenues of communication is very telling. Find another "in".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb