Email companies about porting Android/iOS apps now!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The Android layer is only on Windows 10 Mobile. Considering 99% of the Windows 10 userbase is going to be using something other than that, I'd imagine that most of the poets would be from iOS. For a mobile only app that would work, maybe a dev would use Android, but I'd be surprised if "most" came from Android.

But are developers going to prioritize apps for the desktop? It seems that so far they are not used much. It's the mobile devices that NEED the apps!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
This'll be just like Steam, where we feel conned and give bad reviews if we download a program and find it is a crappy port. Just wait till the devs see the 'just a crappy port' reviews in the store. It'll either push them into making proper apps or they'll just leave. If I wanted to run Apple or Google apps I'd rather get a device suited to the purpose. It is hard to get excited about rubbish ports (and almost all ports are disappointing compared to proper programs).

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
This'll be just like Steam, where we feel conned and give bad reviews if we download a program and find it is a crappy port. Just wait till the devs see the 'just a crappy port' reviews in the store. It'll either push them into making proper apps or they'll just leave. If I wanted to run Apple or Google apps I'd rather get a device suited to the purpose. It is hard to get excited about rubbish ports (and almost all ports are disappointing compared to proper programs).

Apps will get good reviews if they work well. If the app is an Android or iOS port is mostly irrelevant for the user. The general public don't understand those concepts. Besides, there is no much difference between versions of apps in different platforms.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The web is the platform for the PC, this could change but It takes time. Apps are primarily needed for mobile devices.

It better start changing now (and it is...the capability is there or going to be there...Microsoft built it, now will they (businesses and developers) come?). Companies are building in extra features to apps that you can't get on the web or even the PC.

Just 4 examples (I'd have more if I used a lot more apps)

1. Motogp. I paid around 130 Euros to access streaming for the 2015 season. The Motogp app has the capability to multiple screens, up to 4, during streaming. So I can follow the main presentation and up to 3 other drivers or on the helicopter feed. Logging in to the web site I get access to the separate streams but can only view 1 at a time. Sooooo, I use my Android tablet to watch Motogp events. When I'm on travel working and only have my laptop, I make due with one screen. Motogp will be getting an email from me soon.

2. Sony playmemories app. This app lets me wirelessly transfer pictures from my RX100III to????? An Apple or Android device; In this case, to my Android tablet and then uploaded to OneDrive which syncs with my laptop eventually. I do that when are on holiday, traveling light and only want to carry the tablet. I also use that to wirelessly transfer photos on our trip to my girlfriends Sony phone as she likes posting to Facebook. Ya...I'm not totally scwewed since I can hook up my camera to my computer or transfer from SD card.

3. My bank. Won't bore you with the long story, but right now the only access I have to my bank is through the app on my Android tablet. Cannot get in through the website as they do security differently (as I said, long story and I can fix it when I get back to the US).

4. LINE. OK, what about LINE? Does it make sense for them to continue to develop their crappy Windows app or develop using Project Islandwood? I know which app I would prefer to use and I'd use it on both my phone and laptop.

I was irritated enough with Microsoft last August that I decided to go with Android. I picked up the tablet and a phone. The services work pretty well, except, managing contacts. I couldn't add contacts without a third party workaround app. Saving numbers and adding a contact from a text message was very klunky and just getting around the OS in general was very klunky. When I got back to Windows (phone and new laptop) it was like I went from swimming against a 5mph river current to swimming with that same current. ahhhhh.

Like I said, I'm not a prolific app user and even I am running in to limitations. Apps seem to be becoming a big deal. Microsoft, IMO, needs to get out in front of the problem (as much as they can). The 4 apps I mention above could be written right now as Windows 8 or 10 apps and I'd use them.

So....how do you appeal to developers? Businesses/developers have to be able to significantly increase their user base so it makes sense to be able to run on regular Windows platforms. EVEN then, I'm not hopeful of success, but it's worth the effort.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
20k+ posts...Laura Knotek, judging from the posts you "like" in this thread, I'm beginning to think you are not a fan of Windows growing and thriving on phones and tablets. I won't go as far as saying you are a Google hack since you do use some Windows devices, however, you do not have a Windows phone.

Since you are liking certain posts in this particular thread, there is an interest on your part. Instead of lurking in the shadows, how about you sharing your opinion? Coming from a moderator and someone with 20k+ posts, I would find your insight of value.
I use/have used: desktop Windows, Windows 8.1 tablet, desktop Linux, BlackBerry, Nokia Symbian, Windows Phone, Android. The only platforms I've never used are: OS X, iOS, webOS, original Windows Mobile, Unix.

I'm not a fangirl of any platform, nor do I hate any platform.

I like to try different devices and platforms, since I enjoy tech.

Ideally, I'd like to see Windows, Android, Apple and BlackBerry all succeed in mobile. More choices are better for consumers. More competition helps fuel innovation.

Last edited:

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Mikewp, of course the Windows Store needs to improve app quality and quantity. That point I agree on. When I said, we have enough of the most popular and most used apps already available, I meant to increase market share just enough (or more than enough) to really get developers paying attention. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Microsoft makes the perfect flagship that gets enough people switching over to Windows 10 Mobile regardless of the current app situation that developers start bringing more and better quality apps as well as updating them more frequently, and the cycle repeats. Except that time around, there wouldn't be an app issue.

Also, I was going to mention you taking out the part in the email about developers owing Microsoft anything as well. Just sounds bad. I think following a5cent's advice would do wonders.

Spectrum90, yes that is true for the most part. There will be modifications needed though. The code may run, but there may be bugs that were not present in the original code that will need to fixed. I do agree that most ports will likely be from Android though, as while iOS ports have less limitations, there is a bit more work to be done.

Elitis, I hear what you are saying..I really do and it would be great if it would work out that way. I just don't think it will work out that way. I hope I am wrong, but in the meantime, I feel like I should do something :)

Yes, but in actuality, I wasn't saying that developers owed anything to Microsoft. That part was more geared toward my bank. I was saying that Microsoft played a part in all aspects of their business, which it has and continues to do. Seems odd that a banking business would turn it's back on Microsoft. Again...was trying to appeal to someone above the developer level. I mentioned to another poster that that part should be removed. Anyway, I'm mulling over my next effort as this discussion progresses and I read more information :)

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I use/have used: desktop Windows, Windows 8.1 tablet, desktop Linux, BlackBerry, Nokia Symbian, Windows Phone, Android. The only platforms I've never used are: OS X, iOS, webOS, original Windows Mobile.

I'm not a fangirl of any platform, nor do I hate any platform.

I like to try different devices and platforms, since I enjoy tech.

Ideally, I'd like to see Windows, Android, Apple and BlackBerry all succeed in mobile. More choices are better for consumers. More competition helps fuel innovation.
ahhhh, got it (I think?). Still have NO idea where you are coming from with your likes of certain posts. Don't get me wrong, I care not at all if you "like" my posts or "thank" me...I would just like to understand where you are coming from. Another point of view is always good.

To be clear, I'm not a ****** either. Linux pays my bills. Before that Solaris and before that SunOS and before that DEC/VAX. I've tried with an open mind Iphones and Android tablets and phones. I've had mobile phones of all types since mobile phones have been out. After all of that, Microsoft OS and devices work GREAT for me (and I LOVE working with Linux at work). Competition is great but I see Microsoft getting the short end of the stick right now and I want them and my home productivity platform of choice to succeed.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ahhhh, got it (I think?). Still have NO idea where you are coming from with your likes of certain posts. Don't get me wrong, I care not at all if you "like" my posts or "thank" me...I would just like to understand where you are coming from. Another point of view is always good.

To be clear, I'm not a ****** either. Linux pays my bills. Before that Solaris and before that SunOS and before that DEC/VAX. I've tried with an open mind Iphones and Android tablets and phones. I've had mobile phones of all types since mobile phones have been out. After all of that, Microsoft OS and devices work GREAT for me (and I LOVE working with Linux at work). Competition is great but I see Microsoft getting the short end of the stick right now and I want them and my home productivity platform of choice to succeed.
I hear you!

I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups. Linux users are not Microsoft haters in real life. Many of the folks in the Linux User Groups are admins, who support Linux servers and Windows desktops. The folks who use Linux at home typically also use Windows, mainly for gaming. There is no overt or covert hatred for Microsoft amongst the members of the Linux User Groups that I belong to. The Linux User Group members are not all Android users either. There is one guy who has a Windows Phone. There are also members who have BlackBerry devices. Other folks do have Androids.

I've never used Unix either, but I might try FreeBSD. (I noticed you have experience with Unix.)

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Elitis, I hear what you are saying..I really do and it would be great if it would work out that way. I just don't think it will work out that way. I hope I am wrong, but in the meantime, I feel like I should do something :)

Yes, but in actuality, I wasn't saying that developers owed anything to Microsoft. That part was more geared toward my bank. I was saying that Microsoft played a part in all aspects of their business, which it has and continues to do. Seems odd that a banking business would turn it's back on Microsoft. Again...was trying to appeal to someone above the developer level. I mentioned to another poster that that part should be removed. Anyway, I'm mulling over my next effort as this discussion progresses and I read more information :)
You're probably right about the bank. The ATMs are probably running Windows in some version.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
You're probably right about the bank. The ATMs are probably running Windows in some version.

Actually, I was thinking a little bigger. Quite a bit of what actually enables them to do business, is or was based on Microsoft products. Talking about some of the older more established businesses such as banks.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The ATMs are probably running Windows in some version.

I remember in the months before XP support ended, there were news articles about how 95% of the worlds ATMs were running Windows XP. It was almost logistically impossible to replace them by April 2014. Upgrading to Windows 7 or something else wasn't an option for many of them because of hardware restrictions.

I have no idea how many of them still run XP, but yes, even the new ones are probably running a Windows OS. And I bet many of the old XP machines have yet to be replaced.

Quite a bit of what actually enables them to do business, is or was based on Microsoft products.

Are you implying that this obligates them to support all Microsoft's products, including Windows Phone?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I remember in the months before XP support ended, there were news articles about how 95% of the worlds ATMs were running Windows XP. It was almost logistically impossible to replace them by April 2014. Upgrading to Windows 7 or something else wasn't an option for many of them because of hardware restrictions.

I have no idea how many of them still run XP, but yes, even the new ones are probably running a Windows OS. And I bet many of the old XP machines have yet to be replaced.

Are you implying that this obligates them to support all Microsoft's products, including Windows Phone?
You're right about the ATMs. There's a blog post here: http://www.windowscentral.com/atm-industry-wants-machines-bypass-windows-8-favor-windows-10

I know a fellow who works for Diebold. I'll have to ask him what's going on with the ATMs.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Do it man!

Feel free to personalize that email template however you see fit...sort of tailor it a bit for the company you are targeting. For example. I looked at the website for This American Life. My last paragraph reads "I urge you to seriously investigate and consider the opportunity to service a platform that has been responsible for a large part of your success in business. There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs." In your case, I would remove the first sentence and just have it read "There is a great opportunity to significantly increase your user base as Windows ported apps will run on phones, tablets, and PCs."

Edit..Ya, so I did some investigating and poked around the prx.org site (they do the app development). I have a feeling that companies such as this are going to be the stragglers and may never port an app regardless of how easy. Just a vibe. Seem to be VERY Apple oriented and also supportive of Android. Still, need to have our voices heard.

Cheers

I sent the email, but I'm not counting on them to be into it. This will be like the 2nd or 3rd time I've ever sent them an email to port over to WP. But here's hoping W10 wins them over! :)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Well...I think that is the point of the projects. Porting is (supposed to be/better be) extremely easy using the existing codebase. Write once, compile twice. How hard can that be to maintain?

Well, first of all, devs cannot use Google services APIs like the ones they have been maintaining for Android. Will that be an easy change to tweak / port over? I'm not a dev so I cannot answer that myself. But if things are so tightly coupled, it will not be that easy. Secondly, are you so sure that the ported UI elements can be reused so perfectly on Windows Phone especially for Continuum??? I'm skeptic about that.

Last but not least, everything is still an effort after all. Do you think devs will rather spend their time and effort on such a small market, than spending the efforts to develop another app for Android/iOS?? I don't blame them if they are not going to port over any of the apps actually.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, first of all, devs cannot use Google services APIs like the ones they have been maintaining for Android. Will that be an easy change to tweak / port over?

Actually.... Yes it is! Microsoft showed off some hotel all that used Google's mapping API to determine location and they put it into Astoria and it swapped out Google's APIs for Microsoft's Bing mapping APIs. It won't cover everything, but as the technology evolves, it'll cover more and more of GMS.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

The demo failed. First she had to switch devices because the app wouldn't load on the phone she was using. On the backup device the app was already open, but it wouldn't show the map info when prompted. The Bing mapping API didn't seem to work for some reason. They ended up just quickly taking the demo off the screen.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The demo failed. First she had to switch devices because the app wouldn't load on the phone she was using. On the backup device the app was already open, but it wouldn't show the map info when prompted. The Bing mapping API didn't seem to work for some reason. They ended up just quickly taking the demo off the screen.

Oh, the demo! Lol for some reason I thought you meant Project Astoria failed, as in, developers didn't care. I was thinking "its not even out yet, how did it fail?".

Eh, I'd chalk it up to pre release. I saw a few devs on twitter talking about how they're hearing good things about it FWIW.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Well... I have thrown up the white flag. I surrender. I have purchased a couple more products that NEED an app. So.. I broke out my mothballed motorola g and started playing around with it. I now have all my Microsoft services and they all sync. A third party app is required to create and edit contacts on the phone, but it is integrated with the contacts so no extra step. I also downloaded and installed WP Launcher. It gives me almost the exact same experience as my Windows Phone. Not ready to switch over just yet. I want to wait until the Sony Xperia Z4 is out for a couple months. Should be much better battery life than my POS 930 with a camera that is almost as nice, if not nicer. And, of course, I'll have a much better experience with those apps that I also have on my Windows Phone (LINE for instance).

Wonder if Google is screwing with Microsoft because I could not get the Outlook app to work correctly. Multi-day events in the calendar would only show up as one day. I tried to set it up as an exchange client. It would connect but not sync anything (email, calendar, contacts). So, I just set up an exchange account in the main Android account settings and it worked like a champ. The Google Calendar app is good and I have another calendar app. Nine works great for email and the contacts are already covered. I also have all the office apps. I'm set!

Since MS now seems to be into getting all of their services working on the other platforms, they ought to come out with a Windows 10 Mobile Android Launcher. How cool would that be? In the mean time, WP Launcher is working nicely.

Too bad, but I'll get back to a Windows Phone when/if MS gets their act together. I'm sure that I'll be constantly fixing connections that are broken until that day, but I don't mind...there always seems to be a solution.

Cheers and thanks for the discussion!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs