The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hi there guys,

I don't know if this is the right section to ask this, but still... Move it if necessary.

I have a quite big problem: I need to reinstall Windows 8 from scratch (or Windows 10), but I think that Bitlocker is messing with my system.

That was to sum it up. Now, the long version: I have an Acer W3-810 which is a cheap yet nice device, and I use it to test the Windows 10 Technical Preview. Somehow, it stopped updating to new preview, so I decided to install it from scratch.

Something went wrong, and now the device is on a booting loop ("There was a prblem - Restart your PC to try again" - Error Code 8007139f). I tried to reinstall Windows 8 from the Recovery DVDs, but it keeps on saying that I have to deactivate BitLocker. But it seems there's no way to boot into the system and deactivate Bitlocker.

Any idea how to solve the empasse? I'm a bit sad now :)
    Last edited by ergattonero; 05-31-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    05-31-2015 02:53 PM
    I think the only way would be to reformat the partition that has your OS on it.
    05-31-2015 03:22 PM
    How, considering I'm unable to boot? Like with a Ubuntu stick?
    05-31-2015 03:31 PM
    Use your Windows 8.1 recovery usb stick.
    06-01-2015 07:18 PM
    I don't have it. I have a DVD recovery disc which is able to boot, to start and to show me the dialog windows, but when I choose the option to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows, it says that I have to deactivate Bitlocker first.

But I have no way to deactivate it.

I'm not even able to run an ubuntu USB key to "wipe clean" the disk. Somehow, it just doesn't start.

​I'm stuck, it's frustrating.
    06-02-2015 01:37 AM
    It's possible, I've had to reset my Surface Pro 3 a few times and needed to find my bitlocker key and type it in.

Take a look at the Bitlocker FAQ for details.

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions - Windows Help
    Harrie-S likes this.
    06-02-2015 01:43 AM
    I don't have it. I have a DVD recovery disc which is able to boot, to start and to show me the dialog windows, but when I choose the option to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows, it says that I have to deactivate Bitlocker first.

But I have no way to deactivate it.

I'm not even able to run an ubuntu USB key to "wipe clean" the disk. Somehow, it just doesn't start.

​I'm stuck, it's frustrating.
    You need to turn the legacy mode ON and disable fast boot , then it will read Ubuntu from USB stick, I had the same problem, not exactly though, i fixed it using Fedora.
    06-02-2015 05:17 AM
    Use the recovery disks, go into command line and delete the partitions on your drive with fdisk. That should do it.
    06-02-2015 06:03 AM