Windows 10 Version Free upgrade

alanjg86

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello fellow members, Just contacted MS regarding my Question about what Version of Windows 10 everyone will be getting from their "Free Upgrade".

I chatted with a lady on MS site : here is our chat history

Answer Desk online chat
Photo of Answer Tech
Ying M
You:
13:40:44
Hello
Ying M:
13:40:51
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Answer Desk. My name is Ying M. What can I help you with today?
Hi, how may I help you with your windows today?
You:
13:41:55
I was wondering what version of windows will i be getting if i upgrade it to Windows 10 free upgrade given by MS ?
Ying M:
13:42:45
Thank you so much for sharing your concern with me.
May I know what is the version of windows are you using?
You:
13:43:09
right now im using 7
Ying M:
13:43:51
I see.. you will be receiving the free upgrade to windows 10 if you are using windows 7, 8 and 8.1
You:
13:44:42
ok. But what version ? i see MS has HOME and Pro. what free version am i getting ?
Ying M:
13:46:19
you will be able to download windows 10 technical preview.
You:
13:47:16
ok thanks.
Ying M:
13:47:27
Your welcome.
Thank you. Don't hesitate to come back and chat with an Answer Tech if you need help again.
Ying M is typing...

What a stupid answer for a Good Question.

Again i chatted with a Guy on MS..here is our chat history..

Kevin L:
13:49:55
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Answer Desk. My name is Kevin L. What can I help you with today?
How are you doing today Allan?
You:
13:50:19
Hello Kevin. I'm Good.
Kevin L:
13:50:32
How can I make your day better?
You:
13:50:35
I was wondering what version of windows will i be getting if i upgrade it to Windows 10 free upgrade given by MS ?
Kevin L:
13:51:11
Windows 7 up. There are already roll out that will pop up on your system tray about the reservation for the upgrade.
Did you see that?
You:
13:51:19
yes
but it says i will be notified when its live for download. but my question is "What version do i get?"
are you there Kevin ?
Kevin L:
13:56:02
Sorry for the delayed reply. That's a really good question Alan. Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 both have different editions. I don't have a definite answer about your question for now. I will forward this to our Research engineers so that they can roll out the upgrade path for the Windows 10 editions.
You:
13:59:21
Sure. Thanks. just couple of minutes back i chatted with one of your staff..named : Ying M..She said i'll be getting Insider Preview. please take this as a request, please inform your tech guys to know and understand customers queries and give proper solution. Thanks again.
Kevin L:
14:01:07
No worries. I appreciate your time reporting this to us. Expect that actions will be done about how the previous tech handled your session. Is there anything else that I can do for you today?
You:
14:03:26
No,Thanks again. But i would like to know the answer in future about my question regarding what version will everyone be getting when MS rolls out Windows 10. please let us know this asap. Thanks
Kevin L:
14:04:57
Not a problem. You enjoy the rest of your day ok! Thanks for contacting Microsoft Answer Desk.
Goodbye.
You:
14:05:26
Goodbye.

Note: This is real chat history unedited.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Wow. That's 30-odd minutes of your time wasted. For no good reason.
It's obvious the existing versions have to be respected.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I'll say if you have Windows 7 Home Basic or Premium you'll get the Core edition. If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate you'll get the Professional edition, If you have Enterprise you'll get Enterprise If you have Windows 8/8.1 Core, you'll get the Core edition. If you have 8/8.1 Pro you'll get the Pro edition. If you have Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise you'll get the Enterprise edition of Windows 10. Keep in mind that this is my opinion and may not be the same as Microsoft's.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Note that you asked the MS guys for what edition of Windows 10 you'll get, but you didn't tell them what edition of Windows 7 you're running. Ask a vague question and you'll get a vague answer...

Here's the info from the front page article.

Here are the specific upgrade paths to get to all versions of Windows 10 | Windows Central

* Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
* Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
* If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
* Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
* The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

alanjg86

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
But according to MS site it has only 2 Major OS one is "Home" and the other is "Pro". I also saw Enterprise version which i don't think many will opt for it here in my country. If one gets "Pro Version" he as more options where as one with "Home" with reduced and less option. Dont know whay MS playing games this bad. Hope for the Best.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Only corporations get Enterprise editions of Windows (only available through volume licensing).

I'm not sure how you can describe "Home" and "Pro" as playing games....

irtiza_fayaz

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Why would a regular home based pc user want to use hyper-V? Dividing Windows into different "versions" helps in reducing bloat and getting cheaper products. Btw, these "games" are being played since Win98.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why would a regular home based pc user want to use hyper-V? Dividing Windows into different "versions" helps in reducing bloat and getting cheaper products. Btw, these "games" are being played since Win98.

Yes, not all users want to use the more advanced features. People who do want these features can pay a little more for that edition.

Hey Pete, that profile picture sparked a memory. What comic (i think) is that? :p

It is "Spy vs Spy". A computer game from the 80's based on the comic strip in MAD magazine.

alanjg86

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Only corporations get Enterprise editions of Windows (only available through volume licensing).

I'm not sure how you can describe "Home" and "Pro" as playing games....

Playing Games i mean giving many different Versions of a Single OS. Anyway...it would be good to have ONE Good OS for EVERYONE rather having different OS versions and dealing with CS for a problem to be fixed.
Imagine all having same OS and if you get into trouble..you can get problem fixed sooner than contacting MS Support, As many having same OS
(e.g: Friends/ Relatives) can help you fixing things and also you can stop wasting time asking what Version you are using?....stupid questions like that. Doesn't windows want "Everything at once" kind of things?. Be it PC/Tab/Phone/Laptop and Netbooks, MS wants to have WIN 10 installed in all of these and get connected together of their products.

If windows wants everything running on WIN10 (be it PC/Tab/Phone/Laptop and Netbooks), why not give it same OS without any differentiation is OS Versions and keep everything simple and clean. I know what you are thinking...but they want it that way as their AD/Commercial, says it all and everyone knows that. But no..they want different versions charging different versions different money. All i and everyone need is an OS which doesn't cost the Bomb and it should run good on all platforms.

Sorry i'm really bad at explaining things.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Um.. It's the same OS. One edition has additional system components.

It's been this way for several years now and has never been a big problem.

alanjg86

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Your are right Pete, i do know about it. What gets me mad is that they charge for additional system components as you said. As you know "Home" Version is cheaper than "Pro" Version. What i'm asking is Give us Everything and if our device is capable of running that component then let it be, else let it says "not supported" as MS always says when its not compatible.:smile:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If everyone had the same edition of Windows, they'd all have to pay more and have components they wouldn't use/understand.

I don't think that simply giving components away would help anything.

Also, advanced users like to feel like they're using an advanced edition of Windows and are willing to pay extra.

What you're effectively doing is wanting to buy a base level car but have it contain all of the performance/extras as a higher level car for no additional cost.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What i'm asking is Give us Everything and if our device is capable of running that component then let it be, else let it says "not supported" as MS always says when its not compatible.:smile:
Issue with that is that most devices would be capable of running, say Hyper-V or joining a Domain, but not everyone wants to pay for those features.
Still, could be worse, they could repeat the Vista Ultimate Extras days - charge more for an Ultimate edition that will come with loads of extras. But then release no extras. Surprised they didn't get sued big time for that.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Should insiders make the reservation too

No need, you'll get the final build as an insider. I think the reservation is nothing more than signing you up for a newsletter to learn more and telling you how to access Windows 10 on day one (I suspect that there will be users who wish to stay on Windows 7/8 and not be forced to update yet).

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Rasetech go on with spreading FUD. Did you even read the full post you provided? Nope, didn't think so. In any case installing the TP over win 7/8 encrypts and stores your original key so when the RTM upgrade comes around, it uses that stored key to validate and install the correct version whether home or pro. As long as you have a valid 7/8 key there is no such thing as an RTM upgrade but with the TP key that will expire, it will be an official licensed win 10 based on your 7/8 key. Sheesh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon