06-06-2015 07:17 AM
84 1234
tools
    These arguments are not far fetched, the issues are demonstrably happening now. This is exactly the path Google went down and the result is the need to constantly consider what the company is trying to sneak past the customer. Not something I appreciate. You think I should?

This thread has been exceptionally focussed and on topic. Until your post, attempting to turn this into a discussion about discussions rather than the topic at hand.

Back to the topic.

I agree with the method Microsoft is using to make people aware of the update.
    06-02-2015 08:07 AM
    They're taking the direction of Apple and Chrome OS. While their may be hiccups, in the long-run this is showing to be more beneficial. Such as for security reasons. As an example, OS X's most used OS right now is the latest, 10.10. The same with iOS. There's a great adoption rate to newer OSes. In contrast, for Windows, the most used OS is still Win7.

Considering that Win7 mainstream support already end it... This is a bit serious. Win8.1, without Update 1, also has limited update until you get Update 1... Etc. This is more of an industry trend and consumer demand than an MS trend (they're just playing catch up). As an example, ChromeOS already makes 25% of laptop sales. Yikes for MS!

So are you suggesting Microsoft should have forced Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8? After all it was promoted as being more secure. I'm sure that would have gone down well with Win 7 users......
    06-02-2015 08:07 AM
    You chose to install the update that provides you the option for the free upgrade, either when you set up windows updates on your PC or by manually selecting to install the update. And by doing so you elected to be notified that the free upgrade is available to you.

If there is anybody at fault here, it is you for not reading the release notes for the update.
    Right on another out of context thread in my opinion.. Since when has a os update notification become adware? Most people that I know know how to turn their puter on start facebook and turn it off and that is it. Too many people take for granted they are tech buffs and assume everyone else in the world does the same.. The majority are just plain jane and probably would not even know the free upgrade available without the notification... Whew... Microsoft can hardly ever do anything right on this site lol..
    Harrie-S likes this.
    06-02-2015 08:17 AM
    But if you don't pre-register you get hassled adware style until you do, or until you find a way to remove the offending adware with helpful third-party assistance from people like WC. That is a degree of force that I find offensive.
    How is it a hassle? It's just a little icon that sit in the taskbar. Most users won't take decision immediately, so the icon is there as a shortcut.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    06-02-2015 08:17 AM
    I kind of agree with the OP. I will most times take a quick look at the descriptions of the updates I install on my PC, so I will know which are must have for my Acer W3 Tablet. I do not recall seeing any info that a Nag screen/Icon would show up.

I know I do not have to do anything now, but it is a bit jarring to have a pop up show up unexpectedly.

At that it is only the start of June....if the news is true, release date will not be to the end of July....a bit early to start nag screening me.

Why not do this mid July closer to release date???
    06-02-2015 09:08 AM
    Can anyone post a screenshot of the pop-ups or nag screens they keep getting

I only have a tiny icon in my system tray that does nothing unless I click on it
    06-02-2015 09:45 AM
    1 screen grab.....

pop-1.jpg
    06-02-2015 09:55 AM
    Op, I fully agree with you, there should be a "No thanks" button that stops all notifications and removes the icon from the bottom tray. I will update to W10 eventually, I just don't want to be bugged about it.
    06-02-2015 10:06 AM
    And the lack of a 'bog off' option? Not simply a charitable turn to help the technologically challenged, I think. There are many ways to advertise, and many ways to make upgrade easy. Adware is not one of them.

I can be peeved about many things simultaneously, from the pharmaceutical industry's attempts to hold the world to ransom over antibiotics to the lack of sugar in my tea. With the advantage of a human brain, having one thought does not preclude my having another.
    I'm just dumbfounded by your extreme sensitivity to a box! But hey......

I personally think that is EXACTLY why the prompt is there. Most don't go on forums, or read tech sites, most are very likely entierly clueless that this is being offered to them for free. The prompt will let them know and allow them more use out their system. Why it's caused such distress or even led to a topic discussing it bewilders me.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    06-02-2015 10:13 AM
    It's all a part of MS' plan of shoving W10 in your face. It's annoying but it works. I like that they even put a hamburger menu in there to warn you what is to come.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    06-02-2015 10:35 AM
    1 screen grab.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pop-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	105680
    Just to confirm, that pops up without you doing anything?

I only see that screen if I click the icon in my taskbar
    06-02-2015 12:03 PM
    It's all a part of MS' plan of shoving W10 in your face. It's annoying but it works. I like that they even put a hamburger menu in there to warn you what is to come.
    A hamburger menu was already there in Windows 1.0, so basically it is very native to Windows.
    06-02-2015 12:05 PM
    A hamburger menu was already there in Windows 1.0, so basically it is very native to Windows.
    But isn't to modern Windows users. I'm on 8.1 and not one app or program has them or needed to have them. MS deciding that we must suddenly have them everywhere would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.
    06-02-2015 12:44 PM
    While I've stated that I disagree with Microsoft's methodology I would't go as far as calling it a hassle. Since I'm running Windows 8.1 Enterprise on one laptop and Windows 10 TP on the other I'm not seeing the notification myself but my understanding is that it doesn't open automatically over and over again until you concede and accept the inevitable but instead it sits there quietly in your tray not really doing anything. So yes, I disagree with the way they're automatically installing this so-called "update" onto every computer on the one hand, but on the other I don't consider an additional icon in my tray a hassle. Antivirus software that keeps popping up randomly with either random bloated/made-up stats about how awesome it did last week/month/year in protection you from the evil that is "t3h int3rnet!!!111" or reminders to install the company's other, completely useless or even harmfull software is a hassle. An icon that quietly sits there not doing anything until curiosity kills the cat and I click it? Not a hassle.

Also, I absolutely agree with tgp about regular users not noticing notifications. My wife is a prime specimen thereof, that thing would have to be blinking red and yellow while playing an annoying screetching sound in order for her to notice anything at all. She's had an update notification from Apple Software Update in her taskbar (highlighted!), a Windows Update notification in her tray reminding her to install Windows updates, a Java update notification that pops up every time she logs in, and she's had these sitting there for weeks. Literally. tgp is absolutely right - if Microsoft wouldn't take the in-your-face approach regular people would never notice.
    06-02-2015 12:52 PM
    Oh, one more thing. Can you weirdos please stop harrassing everybody with your "the hamburger menu is so eeeevil!!!" in every other thread? We get it. You hate it. We, on the other hand, don't give a sh*t. Period.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    06-02-2015 12:54 PM
    Just to confirm, that pops up without you doing anything?

I only see that screen if I click the icon in my taskbar
    It only popped up the first time, after a restart. I had run the updates before going to work then shut the computer off. When I started back up the icon loaded and the window popped up, which really caught me off guard.
    I thought it was a virus at first, until I checked the site here and saw posts about it.

As I said no warnings listed in the update descriptions, so my first reaction with no information was fear mixed with confusion.
    06-02-2015 12:55 PM
    This is a strange discussion. The computer world has for years been filled with all sorts of programs popping up their own ads (from within the programs themselves) alerting users to new versions. This is common among both free ("A new version of iTunes is available....") and paid ("Download the upgrade at our special offer price of...") software. Never once have I seen such vitriol spewed about such behavior. Yet, here with a fairly major free upgrade incoming, Microsoft puts a relatively unobtrusive icon in the system tray that when clicked shows info about it and a chance to "pre-order" (which yes, is kind of silly but I guess is intended to build excitement but also to get marginal early adopter types to commit to the update before it officially goes live) and it's frackin' Armageddon.

And while it might be nice if the icon would go away once a yes or no decision has been made, it's continued presence allow people to change their minds one way or the other until the OS releases. At least for people who initially choose to get the upgrade. No doubt there would be just as loud, if not louder, howling about people who changed their mind about upgrading but then couldn't find an easy way to cancel their pre-order and were then "forced" to take the update. It wouldn't surprise me if there would also be complaints from people who initially clicked the "No, stop bothering me" and then couldn't find a way to reverse that decision either.
    920Walker likes this.
    06-02-2015 12:58 PM
    But isn't to modern Windows users. I'm on 8.1 and not one app or program has them or needed to have them. MS deciding that we must suddenly have them everywhere would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.
    There are at least three different points making such a discussion fruitless:
    # Ignorance of modern users is no excuse for a false claim (hamburger stolen from Android)
    # Design decisions are a subject of taste and many people have many ideas of taste.
    # It is possible to argue conclusively for and against this kind of menu, there is no absolute convincing argument.

We are not the developers, we do not design it from the scratch and there will always be something that bugs someone and if one is unable to live with something one has to change it if possible or one has to replace this system with another system more to one's liking.

Also, the way Microsoft is advertising Windows 10 is debatable but not the worst case scenario and yes, the pop-up just shows up once and then sits in the system tray.
    06-02-2015 01:01 PM
    It only popped up the first time, after a restart. I had run the updates before going to work then shut the computer off. When I started back up the icon loaded and the window popped up, which really caught me off guard.
    I thought it was a virus at first, until I checked the site here and saw posts about it.

As I said no warnings listed in the update descriptions, so my first reaction with no information was fear mixed with confusion.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware it did this, thanks for clarifying
    06-02-2015 01:06 PM

Interesting. The only PC I checked this on is my DV8P running 8.1 and when I went to the desktop, I didn't see a pop up, just the system tray icon. (The other computers I regularly use are currently running the Win10 TP.) Maybe it goes away on it's own after a while, or behaves differently depending on whether it bots to the start screen or desktop.
    06-02-2015 01:07 PM
    There are at least three different points making such a discussion fruitless:
    # Ignorance of modern users is no excuse for a false claim (hamburger stolen from Android)
    # Design decisions are a subject of taste and many people have many ideas of taste.
    # It is possible to argue conclusively for and against this kind of menu, there is no absolute convincing argument.
    Who said it was stolen from Android? I sure didn't.

Convincing argument against hamburger menus: visually clunky, looks out of place in a OS, hard to reach, and the best one: we already have the ellipsis which looks better/takes up less space/much better area to touch

Convincing argument for hamburger menus: people know what it is since they saw it on Android or iOS and some mobile websites. That's about it. Also some guy from MS says we need them now for universal apps even though there are universal apps that don't have them and function fine.

Okay, no more hamburger talk. I'm hungry now.

We are not the developers, we do not design it from the scratch and there will always be something that bugs someone and if one is unable to live with something one has to change it if possible or one has to replace this system with another system more to one's liking.
    Agreed. I'm content with 8.1 (mobile and desktop) for now. That may change later on.
    06-02-2015 01:23 PM
    snick.png

Oh snap. You aren't being forced into anything here. You can cancel at any time you desire. Don't worry, MS won't kidnap your family if you do cancel, I tried it for the hell of it, and the re-reserved again. We already have an article on how to remove this thing, and even then it's not like the window pops up at start up everytime. There's more salt in this thread than the Snapchat killing off 6Snap.
    06-02-2015 01:42 PM
    I can't believe I'm reading this. Bound to go 8 pages or more.
    TheCudder and 920Walker like this.
    06-02-2015 08:20 PM
    I still find it mind blowing that people don't understand that the purpose of the "menu" icon is an attempt to make apps mouse & keyboard friendly. Windows 8 apps simply didn't attract desktop users. And whether you realize it or not, getting those desktop users on Windows apps is the only way Microsoft can increase consumer app usage, thus attracting more developer support.

Like some one else mentioned, app design and menu icons are subjective, I personally was never too crazy for the way Windows 8 apps looked. There were only a hand full that actually functioned well with the metro design language.
    Jazmac and mrpuny like this.
    06-02-2015 09:06 PM
    I have to agree with the OP on this one. I wouldn't have minded if Microsoft had just included an option for people to click they don't want to upgrade and the icon just goes away. In this case the icon will stay there permanently unless you uninstall the update, which most people will not know how to do, which is obviously Microsoft's intention.
    06-02-2015 10:26 PM
84 1234