06-06-2015 07:17 AM
84 ... 234
tools
    Because phones/tablets are the ones that are going to suffer the most from shoehorning this garbage into it, that's why. The one size fits all philosophy that MS is smoking nowadays is a joke.
    From a business perspective, Windows tablets and phones can't suffer anymore than they already are.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-04-2015 04:10 PM
    That is true. Who knows, maybe it's all a part of MS' master plan to kill them off and focus on the desktop. They sure aren't building Windows 10 with phones and tablets in mind.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-04-2015 04:30 PM
    How dare they try and let everyone know about a free upgrade with no strings attached, how dare they.
    TheCudder likes this.
    06-04-2015 07:11 PM
    Microsoft defense force, assemble!
    06-04-2015 07:30 PM
    I still find it mind blowing that people don't understand that the purpose of the "menu" icon is an attempt to make apps mouse & keyboard friendly. Windows 8 apps simply didn't attract desktop users. And whether you realize it or not, getting those desktop users on Windows apps is the only way Microsoft can increase consumer app usage, thus attracting more developer support.

Like some one else mentioned, app design and menu icons are subjective, I personally was never too crazy for the way Windows 8 apps looked. There were only a hand full that actually functioned well with the metro design language.
    Absolutely! Microsoft took the direction they did because while Apple and Google built their tablet OSes on top of their success in phones, WP7 didn't have commercial success, and so MS tried to leverage their success in desktop. The thing that was missed is that taking an approach that alienated their desktop users ended up hurting them more in desktop than it helped in tablets. While there are things about the tablet experience in Win8.x that I think are better than in the latest build of Win10 (10130), I think the overall experiece of Win 10 on desktop and tablets is better than Win8.x. (In other words, I see some things about Win10 as a two steps forward, one step backward kind of experience. Some things are regessing, but overall the platform is moving forward.)
    Laura Knotek and TheCudder like this.
    06-04-2015 09:05 PM
    But when you have a touch desktop as well as touch on your other devices then the equation swings the other way. Win8 is still the king of touch. Yes, it did need some tweaks for legacy non-touch device users. If MS had concentrated on that then fine. None of the changes with W10 that help desktop users needed the touch features removing, choice could have been offered. As I mentioned in the OP however, offering choice seems no longer to be acceptable to MS. I cannot see that as a good move, from a customer perspective. If I cannot have choice, then I will not be playing MS's game. I will wait them out, as W8 is still the best touch OS out there so no reason to downgrade back to a desktop oriented experience.
    Laura Knotek and theefman like this.
    06-05-2015 12:27 PM
    I've reverted my TransformerBook to Windows 8.1 Update and now have the icon sitting in the tray as well. It didn't pop up automatically though, it just sits there waiting for me to click it. In addition when launching Windows Update via control panel there's also a large banner notification about Windows 10 but once again, not intrusive and no hassle at all.
    06-06-2015 01:02 AM
    "reservation icon" is just a miniature one, if you, generally speaking, have a problem with it there is a chance you have a problem with battery indicator,volume controller,date/time , notification flag , internet icon (that has been there for ages),so do you?

And if this can be removed ,its more of a suggestion from MS , they are not forcing you at all.
    06-06-2015 04:29 AM
    I saw a lot of posts all over the net from people who did not have the icon and asked how to get it.
    And one of the reason's they did not get it was because the PC was not updated.
    So one extra advantages of this free offer from MS is also that people update there PC with the latest updates.
    06-06-2015 07:17 AM
84 ... 234