Forced into a reservation?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to confirm, that pops up without you doing anything?

I only see that screen if I click the icon in my taskbar

It only popped up the first time, after a restart. I had run the updates before going to work then shut the computer off. When I started back up the icon loaded and the window popped up, which really caught me off guard.
I thought it was a virus at first, until I checked the site here and saw posts about it.

As I said no warnings listed in the update descriptions, so my first reaction with no information was fear mixed with confusion.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This is a strange discussion. The computer world has for years been filled with all sorts of programs popping up their own ads (from within the programs themselves) alerting users to new versions. This is common among both free ("A new version of iTunes is available....") and paid ("Download the upgrade at our special offer price of...") software. Never once have I seen such vitriol spewed about such behavior. Yet, here with a fairly major free upgrade incoming, Microsoft puts a relatively unobtrusive icon in the system tray that when clicked shows info about it and a chance to "pre-order" (which yes, is kind of silly but I guess is intended to build excitement but also to get marginal early adopter types to commit to the update before it officially goes live) and it's frackin' Armageddon.

And while it might be nice if the icon would go away once a yes or no decision has been made, it's continued presence allow people to change their minds one way or the other until the OS releases. At least for people who initially choose to get the upgrade. No doubt there would be just as loud, if not louder, howling about people who changed their mind about upgrading but then couldn't find an easy way to cancel their pre-order and were then "forced" to take the update. It wouldn't surprise me if there would also be complaints from people who initially clicked the "No, stop bothering me" and then couldn't find a way to reverse that decision either.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
But isn't to modern Windows users. I'm on 8.1 and not one app or program has them or needed to have them. MS deciding that we must suddenly have them everywhere would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

There are at least three different points making such a discussion fruitless:
# Ignorance of modern users is no excuse for a false claim (hamburger stolen from Android)
# Design decisions are a subject of taste and many people have many ideas of taste.
# It is possible to argue conclusively for and against this kind of menu, there is no absolute convincing argument.

We are not the developers, we do not design it from the scratch and there will always be something that bugs someone and if one is unable to live with something one has to change it if possible or one has to replace this system with another system more to one's liking.

Also, the way Microsoft is advertising Windows 10 is debatable but not the worst case scenario and yes, the pop-up just shows up once and then sits in the system tray.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It only popped up the first time, after a restart. I had run the updates before going to work then shut the computer off. When I started back up the icon loaded and the window popped up, which really caught me off guard.
I thought it was a virus at first, until I checked the site here and saw posts about it.

As I said no warnings listed in the update descriptions, so my first reaction with no information was fear mixed with confusion.

Thanks, I wasn't aware it did this, thanks for clarifying

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. The only PC I checked this on is my DV8P running 8.1 and when I went to the desktop, I didn't see a pop up, just the system tray icon. (The other computers I regularly use are currently running the Win10 TP.) Maybe it goes away on it's own after a while, or behaves differently depending on whether it bots to the start screen or desktop.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
There are at least three different points making such a discussion fruitless:
# Ignorance of modern users is no excuse for a false claim (hamburger stolen from Android)
# Design decisions are a subject of taste and many people have many ideas of taste.
# It is possible to argue conclusively for and against this kind of menu, there is no absolute convincing argument.

Who said it was stolen from Android? I sure didn't.

Convincing argument against hamburger menus: visually clunky, looks out of place in a OS, hard to reach, and the best one: we already have the ellipsis which looks better/takes up less space/much better area to touch

Convincing argument for hamburger menus: people know what it is since they saw it on Android or iOS and some mobile websites. That's about it. Also some guy from MS says we need them now for universal apps even though there are universal apps that don't have them and function fine.

Okay, no more hamburger talk. I'm hungry now.

We are not the developers, we do not design it from the scratch and there will always be something that bugs someone and if one is unable to live with something one has to change it if possible or one has to replace this system with another system more to one's liking.

Agreed. I'm content with 8.1 (mobile and desktop) for now. That may change later on.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
snick.png

Oh snap. You aren't being forced into anything here. You can cancel at any time you desire. Don't worry, MS won't kidnap your family if you do cancel, I tried it for the hell of it, and the re-reserved again. We already have an article on how to remove this thing, and even then it's not like the window pops up at start up everytime. There's more salt in this thread than the Snapchat killing off 6Snap.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
But isn't to modern Windows users. I'm on 8.1 and not one app or program has them or needed to have them. MS deciding that we must suddenly have them everywhere would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

I still find it mind blowing that people don't understand that the purpose of the "menu" icon is an attempt to make apps mouse & keyboard friendly. Windows 8 apps simply didn't attract desktop users. And whether you realize it or not, getting those desktop users on Windows apps is the only way Microsoft can increase consumer app usage, thus attracting more developer support.

Like some one else mentioned, app design and menu icons are subjective, I personally was never too crazy for the way Windows 8 apps looked. There were only a hand full that actually functioned well with the metro design language.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP on this one. I wouldn't have minded if Microsoft had just included an option for people to click they don't want to upgrade and the icon just goes away. In this case the icon will stay there permanently unless you uninstall the update, which most people will not know how to do, which is obviously Microsoft's intention.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Although helpful to an extent, I believe that this "notification" should not have been placed in a Windows Update and placed as recommended. At least explain exactly that KB3035583 would allow for notifying us about reserving W10. Like the OP has mentioned, it's more like adware from Microsoft via KB3035583 . You are, however, not forced at all to reserving the W10 update at all other than it being sneaky advertising on MS's part.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP on this one. I wouldn't have minded if Microsoft had just included an option for people to click they don't want to upgrade and the icon just goes away. In this case the icon will stay there permanently unless you uninstall the update, which most people will not know how to do, which is obviously Microsoft's intention.

The icon stays there even when you reserve your upgrade; it is no clever solution for sure and evidently annoys some people but this is by far not so interesting to justify this uproar.

For Microsoft this transition is seemingly as important as a Windows Update which would also put an icon into the system tray until I install the updates.
Maybe this icon (a component of the "Get Windows 10" app as Microsoft is calling it) vanishes after 29 of July but stays there until then as a daily reminder of this important transition.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
FFS, REALLY?

I'm all for having the occasional whinge but this is simply ridiculous.

I can't believe this thread has made it to 3 pages...

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
FFS, REALLY?

I'm all for having the occasional whinge but this is simply ridiculous.

I can't believe this thread has made it to 3 pages...

You can partly blaim the hamburger menu trolls who have captured this thread and keep spamming it with their uncalled-for opinions nobody cares about.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You can partly blaim the hamburger menu trolls who have captured this thread and keep spamming it with their uncalled-for opinions nobody cares about.

The OP who started this thread is someone who's constantly complained about W10 as well. I guess it goes hand and hand.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have pop-up blocker turned on, all the web safety features that come with Windows, Windows Defender and Windows firewall turned on, and STILL this adware sneaks on to my PC? Have MS gone the Lenovo route? It's this kind of approach, forcing W10 on people, that makes me annoyed about Win10 and the general 'lack of choice' direction it's going in. If you really and truly feel you need to resort to adware to get people to take up W10, Microsoft, then what's the harm in adding a 'No thank you, please bog off and stop pestering me with ads' option, hmmm? Or at least allow Windows Defender to clean it out. It's supposed to be able to remove adware, and it can't even find the stuff Microsoft's written? How poor must Defender be at finding adware that's actually trying to get around it?

I've uninstalled the darn thing of course. I'm not getting forced into a reservation for anyone. My choice, if you get it right at some point MS. Not before, and looking at it right now not for some time. I don't appreciate your attempts to strong-arm me MS. It feels very Google.

Don't ever buy an Apple device or Android then!

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
​[h=2]How to cancel a reservation[/h]First open the 'Get Windows 10' app from you the Notification Area. Next click the hamburger menu button and select 'View Confirmation' under the ‘Getting the upgrade section.’ Next, click ‘Cancel reservation.’ Then click the option to confirm your choice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb