Forced into a reservation?

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Users who got the update and want to remove it << Users who didn't get the notification and desperately trying to get their PC reserved.
You are in the first category and it has a simple solution which leads to just uninstall the update...But on the other hand users who didn't get the notification has to follow some steps in order to get the notification...even if they did the follow the steps correctly some emerged as victorious and some are still trying ...

Proof : Click Me

So consider yourself lucky and follow the uninstall procedure and go get a life :)

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how one is being "forced" into a reservation. It's more of a "hey, windows 10 in less than 2 months, you you want to preload or wait"

Considering I run 5 Windows 8 machines, the notification hasn't bothered me at all. it's not really that big of an issue. If it bothers you that much, I'd hate to see what else bothers you in the real world.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok OP you have a few options. Option 1. Buy either a Linux system or a iOSX system. Linux is complicated and iOSX is expensive.

Option 2. Just leave the app on your desktop Windows won't install something on your pc without your say so.

Option 3. If you hate windows so much don't buy their products, it's so easy just avoid the windows section of your local IT store.

Option 4. Just lighten up there are wars, hunger, droughts, illegal animal killings, children dying all over the world to be thinking of and not a little icon at the bottom of your screen that will go away if you reinstall windows (your original windows) on your pc.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have pop-up blocker turned on, all the web safety features that come with Windows, Windows Defender and Windows firewall turned on, and STILL this adware sneaks on to my PC? Have MS gone the Lenovo route? It's this kind of approach, forcing W10 on people, that makes me annoyed about Win10 and the general 'lack of choice' direction it's going in. If you really and truly feel you need to resort to adware to get people to take up W10, Microsoft, then what's the harm in adding a 'No thank you, please bog off and stop pestering me with ads' option, hmmm? Or at least allow Windows Defender to clean it out. It's supposed to be able to remove adware, and it can't even find the stuff Microsoft's written? How poor must Defender be at finding adware that's actually trying to get around it?

I've uninstalled the darn thing of course. I'm not getting forced into a reservation for anyone. My choice, if you get it right at some point MS. Not before, and looking at it right now not for some time. I don't appreciate your attempts to strong-arm me MS. It feels very Google.

Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3TXeh_t23o

~1:30 and 2:10 :grincry:

EDIT: How can they write off all this software if nobody is "reserving" it? I'd be upset if I was invested in Microsoft XD

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok OP you have a few options. Option 1. Buy either a Linux system or a iOSX system. Linux is complicated and iOSX is expensive.

Feel like someone needs to defend the OP lol.
Honestly speaking, Latest distributions from Deepin and Ubuntu are simple to install on most devices. Moreover, tonymacx86 is real ;)))

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Feel like someone needs to defend the OP lol.
Honestly speaking, Latest distributions from Deepin and Ubuntu are simple to install on most devices. Moreover, tonymacx86 is real ;)))

I love Linux its so divisive. Nobody has the same Linux system. If I had the money id build my own pc and put Linux into it.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I still find it mind blowing that people don't understand that the purpose of the "menu" icon is an attempt to make apps mouse & keyboard friendly. Windows 8 apps simply didn't attract desktop users. And whether you realize it or not, getting those desktop users on Windows apps is the only way Microsoft can increase consumer app usage, thus attracting more developer support.

Yeah, because the entire future of Windows rests on MS putting hamburger buttons into every app. :grin: Please explain how a menu icon (can be anything) in the upper left corner is more friendly to anyone? I never heard anyone say "Windows Phone is good but it needs awkward placed menus to succeed".

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, because the entire future of Windows rests on MS putting hamburger buttons into every app. :grin: Please explain how a menu icon (can be anything) in the upper left corner is more friendly to anyone? I never heard anyone say "Windows Phone is good but it needs awkward placed menus to succeed".

Why am I not surprised you opted to use phones for an example just to try proving a point, when it was clear that I was referring to app usage on desktop PC's.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Why am I not surprised you opted to use phones for an example just to try proving a point, when it was clear that I was referring to app usage on desktop PC's.

Because phones/tablets are the ones that are going to suffer the most from shoehorning this garbage into it, that's why. The one size fits all philosophy that MS is smoking nowadays is a joke.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Who said it was stolen from Android? I sure didn't.

Convincing argument against hamburger menus: visually clunky, looks out of place in a OS, hard to reach, and the best one: we already have the ellipsis which looks better/takes up less space/much better area to touch

Convincing argument for hamburger menus: people know what it is since they saw it on Android or iOS and some mobile websites. That's about it. Also some guy from MS says we need them now for universal apps even though there are universal apps that don't have them and function fine.

Okay, no more hamburger talk. I'm hungry now.

Agreed. I'm content with 8.1 (mobile and desktop) for now. That may change later on.
Xbox Music, Xbox Video and OneNote among others make use of the Splitview control aka meat feast menu

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The icon stays there even when you reserve your upgrade; it is no clever solution for sure and evidently annoys some people but this is by far not so interesting to justify this uproar.

For Microsoft this transition is seemingly as important as a Windows Update which would also put an icon into the system tray until I install the updates.
Maybe this icon (a component of the "Get Windows 10" app as Microsoft is calling it) vanishes after 29 of July but stays there until then as a daily reminder of this important transition.

You can hide the flipping icon. Geez Louise.
There's a whole FAQ for crying out loud

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have pop-up blocker turned on, all the web safety features that come with Windows, Windows Defender and Windows firewall turned on, and STILL this adware sneaks on to my PC? Have MS gone the Lenovo route? It's this kind of approach, forcing W10 on people, that makes me annoyed about Win10 and the general 'lack of choice' direction it's going in. If you really and truly feel you need to resort to adware to get people to take up W10, Microsoft, then what's the harm in adding a 'No thank you, please bog off and stop pestering me with ads' option, hmmm? Or at least allow Windows Defender to clean it out. It's supposed to be able to remove adware, and it can't even find the stuff Microsoft's written? How poor must Defender be at finding adware that's actually trying to get around it?

I've uninstalled the darn thing of course. I'm not getting forced into a reservation for anyone. My choice, if you get it right at some point MS. Not before, and looking at it right now not for some time. I don't appreciate your attempts to strong-arm me MS. It feels very Google.

Could not agree more. This is Microsoft using a Windows Update to bring down an Ad. This is as good as spyware. You get a ad, you need to react to it, it shows up in your task bar unless you uninstall it.

This might as well be a ad that is sitting on your task bar by clicking on something you should not of. Pretty much the same thing if you think about it.

Think about this another way, a big vendor wants to give Microsoft money to put an ad for their product in Windows, Microsoft could do this, as I said pretty much that is what it is. They do it once and it opens up the door to be done again.

Someone should start a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for using an update for promote a new product. This should not be done.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're offended by Microsoft's method of informing users of a new OS upgrade, a free one for many at that, you need some new hobbies.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Because phones/tablets are the ones that are going to suffer the most from shoehorning this garbage into it, that's why. The one size fits all philosophy that MS is smoking nowadays is a joke.

From a business perspective, Windows tablets and phones can't suffer anymore than they already are.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That is true. Who knows, maybe it's all a part of MS' master plan to kill them off and focus on the desktop. They sure aren't building Windows 10 with phones and tablets in mind.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I still find it mind blowing that people don't understand that the purpose of the "menu" icon is an attempt to make apps mouse & keyboard friendly. Windows 8 apps simply didn't attract desktop users. And whether you realize it or not, getting those desktop users on Windows apps is the only way Microsoft can increase consumer app usage, thus attracting more developer support.

Like some one else mentioned, app design and menu icons are subjective, I personally was never too crazy for the way Windows 8 apps looked. There were only a hand full that actually functioned well with the metro design language.

Absolutely! Microsoft took the direction they did because while Apple and Google built their tablet OSes on top of their success in phones, WP7 didn't have commercial success, and so MS tried to leverage their success in desktop. The thing that was missed is that taking an approach that alienated their desktop users ended up hurting them more in desktop than it helped in tablets. While there are things about the tablet experience in Win8.x that I think are better than in the latest build of Win10 (10130), I think the overall experiece of Win 10 on desktop and tablets is better than Win8.x. (In other words, I see some things about Win10 as a two steps forward, one step backward kind of experience. Some things are regessing, but overall the platform is moving forward.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss