Secure Boot Terrible!

pepegot1

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I just canceled my Windows 10 download request because of "Secure Boot." I find it's very disturbing to work under its conditions of inflexability. Without an option to select or deselect, Secure Boot is an irrational restriction on the individual. I hope enough people have enough gumption to complain. If it is not in their database, you are SOL!!

Don Geronimo

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 doesn't require Secure Boot, however, to boot. It will still work fine without it enabled; you just won't get the benefits of Secure Boot and, in turn, Device Guard.

pepegot1

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
<<What happens if my new hardware isn’t trusted?

Your PC may not be able to boot. There are two kinds of problems that can occur:

The firmware may not trust the operating system, option ROM, driver, or app because it is not trusted by the Secure Boot database.<<

Some hardware requires kernel-mode drivers that must be signed. Note: many older 32-bit (x86) drivers are not signed, because kernel-mode driver signing is a recent requirement for Secure Boot. For more info, see Secure boot feature signing requirements for kernel-mode drivers.>>
<<The precise final specs are not available yet, so all this is somewhat subject to change, but right now, Microsoft says that the switch to allow Secure Boot to be turned off is now optional. Hardware can be Designed for Windows 10 and can offer no way to opt out of the Secure Boot lock down.>>

According to the above, that's not a given! I will have to wait and see what happens. There are millions of beta tester just waiting to go! II will see what happens to them. My computer does not have enable/disable Secure Boot capability.
I just called Asus about the P8H67-M-EVO MB and they said there would be a drivers problem with the update. Stay with Window 7. I fear some folks are in for a big surprise-nothing is free.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That optional secure boot toggle is applying to new hardware.

I'm pretty sure my laptop predates Secure Boot and all. No issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon