Windows 10 expiration confusion !?

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I am creating this thread in the hope of clearing up the confusion surrounding windows 10 upgrade and its initial free year.When W10 was first announced,we were told that it would be offerred as a free upgrade to existing windows 7,8,8.1 users for one year only.

From reading various comments on here recently I see that many believe their licence will run out after this first year.

This is not true,anyone who upgrades gets to keep their upgrade indefinitely for free.

Its only free to existing users within this 1 year window.Microsoft makes their profit from new installations on new laptops,desktops etc, and after this 1 year,there will be a charge for the OS.

This is based on what I have been reading about the upgrade in interviews with Microsoft and other related articles

I urge people to read up on this like I did and stop worrying about what will happen after the first year of the upgrade.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I've moved your thread to the Windows 10 General Discussion forum, since this thread is more suitable here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise