What happens when the limited time for Windows 10 is over?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

About windos 10 upgrade

hi, i'm using genuine windows 8.1 and i've registered for windows 10 upgrade. it says windows 10 are for a limited time only (for a year) what will happen after this limited time for windows 10 is over? will i be back to back to windows 8.1 again?

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: About windos 10 upgrade

No, you'll have Windows 10 for the lifetime of the device. The one year is referring to Windows 10 being FREE (key word) for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 devices that are upgraded between 7/29/15 and 7/29/16. Once upgraded, it is good for the lifetime of the device. After 7/29/16 anyone wishing to upgrade a device to Windows 10 would have to purchase it.

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

No, you'll have Windows 10 for the lifetime of the device. The one year is referring to Windows 10 being FREE (key word) for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 devices that are upgraded between 7/29/15 and 7/29/16. Once upgraded, it is good for the lifetime of the device. After 7/29/16 anyone wishing to upgrade a device to Windows 10 would have to purchase it.

Wait, what? So hold on a second, sir. July 29, 2015 I will upgrade to windows 10 and on 29 July 2016 It will expire. And I will have to go back to my original windows 8.1, right?

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

But on the global launch event. They were saying free for one year only. Hmm

shorski

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site

Wait, what? So hold on a second, sir. July 29, 2015 I will upgrade to windows 10 and on 29 July 2016 It will expire. And I will have to go back to my original windows 8.1, right?
You didn't understand what he said at all. It simply means when you upgrade on July 29th, you won't go back to 8.1 by 2016. Windows 10 will be on your device except you upgrade to higher version of you decide to go back to a lower version on your own.

Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.BLACKBERRY

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
But on the global launch event. They were saying free for one year only. Hmm

I think the way Microsoft have worded this "free for one year upgrade" has confused a lot of people.They do the same with xbox with their games for gold "free for one month" games which means free in that month for xbox live gold members,thus free to that member forever thereafter.just like w10 upgrade.

Really they should be more clear about these things

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

You didn't understand what he said at all. It simply means when you upgrade on July 29th, you won't go back to 8.1 by 2016. Windows 10 will be on your device except you upgrade to higher version of you decide to go back to a lower version on your own.

Z30 STA100-2 | 10.3.BLACKBERRY

I have understood what he said very clearly. He said once i do the free upgrade It will be lifetime. But if I upgrade after july 29 2016 that wont be free. I didnt understand what Microsoft said. Manus is right they need to be clear with what they say.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Here is the deal...

Upgrade the day it comes out and it is free for the lifetime of your device. Upgrade 9 months from when it comes out and it is free for the lifetime of your device.

Upgrade 366 days after it comes out and you are too late for a free upgrade. Now you must pay, but still have the version for the lifetime of your device.

ONLY THE FREE PART IS LIMITED TO ONE YEAR FROM RELEASE. The version is good for the lifetime of your device no matter when and how you acquire it. There is no magical self-destruct built in.

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

Here is the deal...

Upgrade the day it comes out and it is free for the lifetime of your device. Upgrade 9 months from when it comes out and it is free for the lifetime of your device.

Upgrade 366 days after it comes out and you are too late for a free upgrade. Now you must pay, but still have the version for the lifetime of your device.

ONLY THE FREE PART IS LIMITED TO ONE YEAR FROM RELEASE. The version is good for the lifetime of your device no matter when and how you acquire it. There is no magical self-destruct built in.

Yeah got it! Anyways thanks for the heads up!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe that people are still confused about this lol

I agree but then again lot of layers earn there money by "twisting" words.

Or in other words it is nearly impossible to make a (short) statement which is clear for everyone.

The only way to make it more clear is to use much more text and include all possibilities but then again you end up with a "book" and nobody will read it

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon