Windows 10 Has Gone Too Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
They're not blind and have amnesia, right? There's a big tile that has the Internet Explorer logo on it. That's a good starting point. (MotorMouth beat me to this, doh)

I still can't believe the lame excuses some people put up for not taking a minute to learn stuff. Makes you wonder how people put up with the start menu when it first came out.

If there's a live tile showing a new game how is anyone supposed to know that's the store app? Same goes for any other live tile if it's displaying information instead of the actual app - particularly to a new user.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
To each his own but I personally like tablet mode on my surface pro 3 and have been generally pleased with the overall experience. The UI needs refinement (which I'm sure is underway since they're shooting for 7/29) so the last few months are probably dedicated to bringing fluidity to the UI.

As for doing "too much" to appease the masses I'd disagree. For the most part the masses aren't power users who would've been happy with less compromise and MS is running a business after all. They're also trying to gain traction in mobile computing and recover from the poor reception of Windows 8, so I think incorporating a lot more of what the users want in the unprecedented way they have was a great idea.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you can't tell us why you think it is inferior, how can anyone work what needs improving? I can tell you EXACTLY why I do and don't like each version, why can't anyone else? e.g. One of the big things I disliked about W7 is how unintuitive it was after more than a decade on NT4, W2000 and XP. It was much, much harder to get used to than Win8, simply because many of the changes were hidden from view, like the re-ordered Control Panel. Probably the best example of Windows 7's lack of discoverability is that even though I used it for more than 3 years, I never knew you could hit the WIN key and start typing to search for applications until after I had moved to Win8.

We've had no end-user usability issues or complaints upgrading 7000 computers from XP to Windows 7 over the last year and a half. The Start menu in Windows 7 has more in common with XP than differences unlike Windows 8. We did find that Windows 7 was less "intuitive" for IT staff to find the items that we generally deal with for troubleshooting issues but had little to no impact on end users. Besides a reordered Control Panel (and how many times does an end-user actually go into Control Panel) how else did you find Windows 7 unintuitive and how did it impact your workflow?

I'm not sure how you missed the Windows 7 search feature since it says Search programs and files in the dialog before you start typing anything. My teenage son found that all by himself and uses is all the time.

Scott

mf1982

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I've read through a bunch of the responses and it really does come down to people being very resistant to change or learning something new.

People clamouring for an OS of 20 years ago (Win 95/XP style Start Menu) while bashing Win 8.1 is evidence of this.

I've used most consumer versions of Windows since Windows 3.0. There are always changes along the way. Some better than others, but overall I would say I'm more productive on Win 8.1 than previous versions.

Removing the Charms Bar is a mistake. Even though my touch screen stopped working months ago, I still find that's how I start any application that I need that's not pinned to my task bar. A quick loop with a mouse, or swipe in from the side on the touchpad on my laptop and it pops up. Click on search, type what I want and there it is.

Under XP et al, I'd have to scroll to find what I'm looking for. I think that being forced to change through this change made in Windows 8.1 has made me much more productive. I'm not sure what other changes have been so horrible, other than the fact that it's not the same as 20 years ago. I haven't been forced to see the Metro UI if I don't want to in Win 8.1, so I'm not sure what the issue is with that either. My laptop always starts up to the desktop.

For those worried about grandma not knowing how to use the computer anymore, there is a solution. A company out in Cupertino that hasn't changed the way they do things on one particular OS they've used for almost 10 years.

I won't be running to Windows 10, at least not on my HTPC until WMC is reintroduced, but that's another story for another thread. Some of us still use our Xbox 360 as an extender and I use it for live OTA TV through my HD HomeRun which has a much better tuner (picks up more channels) than my TV does.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've read through a bunch of the responses and it really does come down to people being very resistant to change or learning something new.

This is the main reason Windows 8 did not take of, besides a fairly substantial group of people who did not stop being very vocal about this.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They're not blind and have amnesia, right? There's a big tile that has the Internet Explorer logo on it. That's a good starting point. (MotorMouth beat me to this, doh)

I still can't believe the lame excuses some people put up for not taking a minute to learn stuff. Makes you wonder how people put up with the start menu when it first came out.

I switched my father's PC from XP to Deepin. He uses Firefox and Google Earth.

On the Deepin dock there is a big Firefox icon and a similarly sized Google Earth one. He is a smart man, however he had difficulty locating his applications.

After that first

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To each his own but I personally like tablet mode on my surface pro 3 and have been generally pleased with the overall experience. The UI needs refinement (which I'm sure is underway since they're shooting for 7/29) so the last few months are probably dedicated to bringing fluidity to the UI.

As for doing "too much" to appease the masses I'd disagree. For the most part the masses aren't power users who would've been happy with less compromise and MS is running a business after all. They're also trying to gain traction in mobile computing and recover from the poor reception of Windows 8, so I think incorporating a lot more of what the users want in the unprecedented way they have was a great idea.

You make some very solid points. As you mentioned, MS is running a business and a large part of that business is catering to large corporations, governments, etc. There are many legacy programs in the healthcare field (a huge chunk of the pie) that even in compatibility mode won't run on 8/8.1. Because so many practitioners wear gloves, a lot of these Tablet PCs have active digitizers and are stylus-based. MS has their work cut out for them to try and please everyone. Great, an old Ricky Nelson tune just popped in my head.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I switched my father's PC from XP to Deepin. He uses Firefox and Google Earth.

On the Deepin dock there is a big Firefox icon and a similarly sized Google Earth one. He is a smart man, however he had difficulty locating his applications.

And yeah, he much prefers Deepin Linux over Windows 8.1.

Yugiro

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't really tried Windows 10 on a tablet but on my desktop, I am loving every bits of it. I haven't installed it on my Lenovo Thinkpad 8 because I am worried it is not yet stable. But I have tried the tablet mode on my desktop and it was fine (I mean just by the looks of it). Take for example the distance of the items on the Start Button, on the tablet mode, the distance between items increases for the benefit of touch-based screens.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I haven't really tried Windows 10 on a tablet but on my desktop, I am loving every bits of it. I haven't installed it on my Lenovo Thinkpad 8 because I am worried it is not yet stable. But I have tried the tablet mode on my desktop and it was fine (I mean just by the looks of it). Take for example the distance of the items on the Start Button, on the tablet mode, the distance between items increases for the benefit of touch-based screens.

Using a Surface 2 I'm in the same boat, just Windows 10 on a desktop and really like the direction MS is going. Once its released and on tablets I'll stop by my local MS Store and take a look at a tablet. These threads are fun but kind of pointless. The 8.1 fans are going to hate windows 10 (for the most part) and the rest of the world will like it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Using a Surface 2 I'm in the same boat, just Windows 10 on a desktop and really like the direction MS is going. Once its released and on tablets I'll stop by my local MS Store and take a look at a tablet. These threads are fun but kind of pointless. The 8.1 fans are going to hate windows 10 (for the most part) and the rest of the world will like it.
I think you have summed it up well.

With that, this thread has reached its conclusion.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire