Modding W10 to work with touch devices

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Why go nuts trying to mod it at this point, as I am running a project with a few people to try to hack Windows Media Center into WIndows 10. I thought about it, the RTM will be out in a little over a month and 1/2, Why bother ?

Just wait till the RTM so we know what we are getting 100% and if the need is there, then hack away....

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
1) The notification centre is not the same as the task bar. The new task bar is great for the desktop and a real improvement, but why have it taking up space when not needed? I can't see the need. The notification centre is hidden on Windows Phones until swiped and was pretty much universally cheered.

2) Unfortunately you are not correct here. There is no way to make Edge web pages full screen. It just spreads the controls further. Try Internet Explorer in Win8.1 and you'll see what I mean. Are there any alternative metro browsers to Edge in W10? That would be the way to mod around this limitation. Firefox Metro was very poor but there are some good options on the phone. Anyone know of any that are set to become universal apps?

3) Me neither (not one I'm prepared to use as a test device) so I've used Youtube to see the current builds. I am hoping someone with more devices to spare will have more ideas re. tweaks. Watch this space!

Windows phone doesn't do that anymore, an option to hide the taskbar unless swiped up couldn't hurt though, I really don't see it as a big issue. And sorry, I checked the current build and its gone, it was there in a previous build under the elipses menu next to the zoom though, so I'm betting its only temporarily disabled.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
3) Me neither (not one I'm prepared to use as a test device) so I've used Youtube to see the current builds. I am hoping someone with more devices to spare will have more ideas re. tweaks. Watch this space!

I have given up on the TP for now, various reasons

However come launch day I will be upgrading my Laptop, mainly using as a desktop but it does have touch screen, so I will be able to fully check out how tablet mode works

How this goes in the months after release will make me decide if I want 10 on my tablet

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've not really been looking into this myself however I would like to. I'm wanting those gestures of Windows 8. Yeah I can learn 10's way of doing things if necessary but the workflow of 8 just felt effortless. It just made sense to me.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've not really been looking into this myself however I would like to. I'm wanting those gestures of Windows 8. Yeah I can learn 10's way of doing things if necessary but the workflow of 8 just felt effortless. It just made sense to me.

agree, it was so effortless and seemed very intuitive to me how 8 works with touch
using one example, would like to know anyone thinks this way on 10 is better and if so why?
Getting to all apps page
Win 8
swipe up on screen and all your apps are there filling the screen
Win 10
press hamburger at top left
press all apps at bottom left
scroll through single column to find your app

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Why go nuts trying to mod it at this point, as I am running a project with a few people to try to hack Windows Media Center into WIndows 10. I thought about it, the RTM will be out in a little over a month and 1/2, Why bother ?

Just wait till the RTM so we know what we are getting 100% and if the need is there, then hack away....

Well, I'm just exploring the evolving possibilities as we are near as damn it to release now. Good to hear of your project, fantastic stuff. Please keep us informed as projects like yours are hugely interesting.

Do you have a web page or blog or something where we can excitedly watch the development of your team's project?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psyduck