Is someone here who didnt get the Windows 10 upgrade popup?

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey

I just want to ask if everyone got the message to upgrade or I am the only one who dont. Maybe its because I dont have licensed version but as far as I know Microsoft said that even pirated copies can upgrade for free. So is there someone with unlicensed version of Win 8.1 who got the message? And if yes how ?

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
There was a misunderstanding when MS said that. Legally (keyword; legally) licensed copies would get the prompt. There's a KB update for it. Having saying that, I haven't gotten the notification on my Toshiba Encore.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can upgrade for free, yes but it doesn't mean you will get a validated in the process. So in essence nothing has changed.

There was a misunderstanding when MS said that. Legally (keyword; legally) licensed copies would get the prompt. There's a KB update for it. Having saying that, I haven't gotten the notification on my Toshiba Encore.

Maybe or maybe the lawyers and accountants stepped in. It makes sense as it puts everyone one the same level playing field and they don't have issues with people running vulnerable machines.

nTrud3r

May 2, 2015
Visit site
You can upgrade for free, yes but it doesn't mean you will get a validated in the process. So in essence nothing has changed.

Maybe or maybe the lawyers and accountants stepped in. It makes sense as it puts everyone one the same level playing field and they don't have issues with people running vulnerable machines.
Yeah. M$ (in this case the M means More) still want their $.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I haven't gotten the message for it on my officially licensed windows (8.1 Bing). I have no clue why either. The same can be said for my laptop.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

So people with pirated versions wont get it?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. M$ (in this case the M means More) still want their $.

Yup, Profits and Stockholders come first above all else in a large public entity like Microsoft. In some cases such practises become toxic (i.e dell which is why they went private - not saying there weren't a lot of "politics" going on in the background)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten the message for it on my officially licensed windows (8.1 Bing). I have no clue why either. The same can be said for my laptop.

Same here, I setup 5 VM's with some of my Windows 7 and 8 licenses, with a simple script, I got the prompt right away (converting some of my licenses to Win 10).

My Samsung Slate 7 tablet (came with Windows 8 Pro from the factory), it will not show up no matter what I do. Tried the script and assorted other things and it will not show up...

My WIndows 7 desktop, it does not show up but, I could care less, as I use Windows Media Center on that machine so it stays on Windows 7, thanks Microsoft.

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually I dont think its a bad way of dealing with people who have unlicensed copies. And I am not biased or something cause i am one of them.
In the past and nowadays too companies want to fight against piracy but MS took this the other way and they were like "do what you want were not gonna stop you anyway" and they are right. They know they cant do anything about it so why not go the positive way? I think that this is the only way that they can make some pirate buy a lincesed copy in the future. Why would stockholders be butthurt about it? They know MS is doing billions anyway and If I dont buy Windows I already have atleast 2 products from MS so I gave them my money anyway. So is it true that they wont support those unlicensed versions? If so I am dissapointed I thought its a great idea how to deal with people.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I didn't have an issue on my Toshiba. I had already reserved my copy before WC had even reported it. However, my father has almost the same laptop (he got his when he saw mine except he upgraded to a touch screen), and he didn't get one.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried all the tricks and tips listed online but what did it for all three of my computers was reinstalling the update and a quick reboot.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
For me the Upgrade Notification and the small Windows icon on my taskbar took 3 days to pop up after I have installed the KB something update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb