06-29-2015 12:49 PM
94 1234
tools
    Why not just use the Microsoft phone recovery tool to reflash the phone ? As for PC / laptop there is always a way to recover it. Do you not have bootable recovery ?
    neil richards1 likes this.
    06-13-2015 01:57 PM
    This is what you get when you test "Alpha" class software, who know when it will be stable enough to be deemed "Beta" but they are running out of time with 6 1/2 weeks left to release. I would think the last 2 builds would be considered "Beta" class but who knows. I too think you had the mis-fortune of having catastrophic hardware failure coupled with a "Alpha" or "Beta" class OS. The OS can't physically break hardware....
    06-13-2015 02:42 PM
    Why not just use the Microsoft phone recovery tool to reflash the phone ? As for PC / laptop there is always a way to recover it. Do you not have bootable recovery ?
    That is my point Mikeg, windows software has never been destructive like this. Yes I could reflash and recover but at worse, a reinstall of a stable OS and I'm back in the game. I've been there hundreds of times in my years of doing this. No biggy.

People hated on Vista like it was the opening of the 7th seal. If this drops anywhere close to how it is now, and I suspect there is a good chance for that, given the time left, Apple better staff up now because they are going to be mad busy. (I say that last part tongue n cheek to the conspiracy therorist out there)
    Laura Knotek, tgp and aximtreo like this.
    06-13-2015 03:22 PM
    That is my point Mikeg, windows software has never been destructive like this. Yes I could reflash and recover but at worse, a reinstall of a stable OS and I'm back in the game. I've been there hundreds of times in my years of doing this. No biggy.

People hated on Vista like it was the opening of the 7th seal. If this drops anywhere close to how it is now, and I suspect there is a good chance for that, given the time left, Apple better staff up now because they are going to be mad busy. (I say that last part tongue n cheek to the conspiracy therorist out there)
    I must be that one person who liked Vista. SP1 fixed a multitude of sins but the damage was done. I hope I'm wrong but I see history repeating. Vista had elements of 7 but many of XP's features. The blend of old (8.1) and new is eerily reminiscent. Time will tell.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    06-13-2015 06:30 PM
    I must be that one person who liked Vista. SP1 fixed a multitude of sins but the damage was done. I hope I'm wrong but I see history repeating. Vista had elements of 7 but many of XP's features. The blend of old (8.1) and new is eerily reminiscent. Time will tell.

I didn't mind it as well. it powered the family PC with minor fuss until the graphics gave out.
    06-13-2015 06:41 PM

I didn't mind it as well. it powered the family PC with minor fuss until the graphics gave out.
    I only hated Vista because it gave me black screen error twice in one month. I had to reinstall it both times.

I never got SP1. After that disaster I installed 7 beta, followed by RC, and RTM. I got official 7 on its release date. I never saw a blue screen error, much less a black screen error, on any version of 7.

I'm going to wait to install official 10. These kind of serious bugs are troubling for a product that's supposed to be released in 1 months.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    06-13-2015 08:38 PM
    I only hated Vista because it gave me black screen error twice in one month. I had to reinstall it both times.

I never got SP1. After that disaster I installed 7 beta, followed by RC, and RTM. I got official 7 on its release date. I never saw a blue screen error, much less a black screen error, on any version of 7.

I'm going to wait to install official 10. These kind of serious bugs are troubling for a product that's supposed to be released in 1 months.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    7 is going to be a tough act to follow. I have 8.1 Pro on my prehistoric Motion Computing tablet and my wife's desktop for the sake of having it but my laptop is anchored to 7 Pro. Quick little anecdote, the Mrs. (aka Speaker of the House) loves 8.1 because it reminds her of WP and she's had zero issues with the navigation. She rarely uses the desktop mode and she's not moaning about the loss of our Mac desktop. Even though it's a touch monitor she's a mouse and keyboard gal through and through. With all the horror stories regarding Windows 8 and the start menu, blah blah blah, I guess the trick to liking Windows begins with having Windows Phone first. Who knew?
    06-13-2015 08:53 PM
    7 is going to be a tough act to follow. I have 8.1 Pro on my prehistoric Motion Computing tablet and my wife's desktop for the sake of having it but my laptop is anchored to 7 Pro. Quick little anecdote, the Mrs. (aka Speaker of the House) loves 8.1 because it reminds her of WP and she's had zero issues with the navigation. She rarely uses the desktop mode and she's not moaning about the loss of our Mac desktop. Even though it's a touch monitor she's a mouse and keyboard gal through and through. With all the horror stories regarding Windows 8 and the start menu, blah blah blah, I guess the trick to liking Windows begins with having Windows Phone first. Who knew?
    I didn't hate 8/8.1 either, but I also used Windows Phone first.

I have a notebook that has a touchscreen, but 95% of the time I'm in the desktop anyway.

I'd say 7 is my all time favorite version of Windows.

I wouldn't say Vista was the worst. That honor goes to 98. Most people say ME or Bob was the worst, but I never had ME or Bob.
    Jazmac and aximtreo like this.
    06-13-2015 08:59 PM
    I put Windows 10 10130 on my Surface Pro 3. Installed and no sound. No workaround to get sound to work, on one of Microsoft's own products. Sound worked with headphones tho (??) .. looked all over Bing and Google, not much info. Pretty baffling. Reverted to 8.1, which amazingly only took a few minutes and works just like it used to.

Ironically, on my 3+ year old HP, Win 10 10130 is working without a hitch perfectly and I love it. Also have it running on a test phone (Lumia 635) and it works as well as anyone elses I suppose, but I just use that as an mp3 player in the car basically...

Never know what will happen with these pre releases!
    Laura Knotek, Jazmac and aximtreo like this.
    06-13-2015 09:07 PM
    Well the funny thing is I just got a Dell XPS 13 this week (the new 2015 model) and the first thing I did was install the Windows 10 preview on the SSD. I haven't had any issues with it.

However I installed it on my dad's desktop computer as a test. Somehow the Wi-Fi drivers are installed correctly and Device Manager shows it as working. Yet Windows cannot find any Wi-Fi routers. I removed the drivers, let windows reinstall them, didn't work. Removed the drivers again, downloaded the drivers from the official website, still didn't work (somehow it's conflicting between a D-LINK DWA-522 and a Broadcom drivers) but yeah Windows 10 is really a hit and miss for some devices.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-13-2015 09:30 PM
    The BIOS always controls the speed of a fan, with Windows sometimes working with it to request levels of thermal cooling. As the fan was a non-geniune HP replacement it could have all sorts of different characteristics that would cause it to sound loud when the BIOS kicked it into fast mode. Or it's just as likely the BIOS has a bug and Windows requested a cooling level you'd never seen before.

Replacing your fan with an HP part would be a good starting point to seeing if there is a problem which would happen again. Still, I hope you reported this in the feedback tool anyway.
    The fan was a genuine replacement HP Fan , the one in the image was a stock photo. I wouldn't put a non genuine part in my own laptop and besides never have used such parts. If the bios had a bug then it would affect the cooling levels in windows 7 wouldn't it?

I haven't got windows 10 running up on a VM yet as the current build refuses to install (hangs on the setup is starting screen)

stalled-vm.jpg

So once I do get the preview up and running I will report it in the feedback tool.

Edit: here is a photo of the fan, also a bit of background - confirmed genuine with two trusted sources where I get my other parts from. The sticker was peeled as I was looking for a screw to check the motor - but there wasn't one.

wp_20150614_05_08_36_pro.jpg

The underside:

wp_20150614_05_19_53_pro.jpg

This however is not a genuine part, (one taken out of the spare laptop) as you can easily tell from the construction of the fan (put together by screws not hot glue as far I have seen most genuine parts these days use hot glue - to save costs on the screws - it all adds up)

wp_20150614_05_15_10_pro.jpg
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 06-13-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Images added
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    06-13-2015 11:02 PM
    I think your hardware issues go beyond the tp, maybe you should have read up on all the facts and stuff before trying such previews as this. seems to me you are very inexperienced in the matter and does really sound like it is your first rodeo.
    LeFreak and neil richards1 like this.
    06-14-2015 12:13 AM
    I think your hardware issues go beyond the tp, maybe you should have read up on all the facts and stuff before trying such previews as this. seems to me you are very inexperienced in the matter and does really sound like it is your first rodeo.
    You won't be the first to spew rhetoric believing your opinion to you trumps the facts.
    06-14-2015 12:35 AM
    Again, don't get it twisted and don't get buried in agreements.
    You ARE lucky and you've said as much. If you make it out on the other side, count yourself blessed. This TP is not only not working for too many, its causing otherwise good hardware to no longer work. NO OTHER RELEASE of Windows has ever done this.before. From 3.0 to 8.0 beta, they have all either worked or not work. This version is like none before it and at the end of the day, I'm out otherwise good hardware. They won't replace my hardware and nd I'm not asking them to. But I won't commit another dime or another minute to this preview. So I'm out.
    How do you know your experiences from 3.0-8.0 beta wasn't just luck? Maybe this time the luck has run out and the reality hits in.

I understand you're very experienced and all that. I've lost a couple of desktops due to the preview (won't boot). I don't count myself unlucky. Instead when I lose good hardware, I know the risks of running previews beforehand. If you know the risks and can't take them, then don't do it. I guess that is why you're getting off the preview - you now understand the risks. So well done.

You're playing Russian roulette - only this time you got shot.
    06-14-2015 02:03 AM
    Sorry double post.
    06-14-2015 02:05 AM
    How do you know your experiences from 3.0-8.0 beta wasn't just luck? Maybe this time the luck has run out and the reality hits in.

I understand you're very experienced and all that. I've lost a couple of desktops due to the preview (won't boot). I don't count myself unlucky. Instead when I lose good hardware, I know the risks of running previews beforehand. If you know the risks and can't take them, then don't do it. I guess that is why you're getting off the preview - you now understand the risks. So well done.

You're playing Russian roulette - only this time you got shot.
    ROTFL. 16 years of luck? No one has odds like that. I'm not going to continue.

"I'm out of the contest" -Kramer
    seinfeld-krameroutofthecontest.gif.
    06-14-2015 02:33 AM
    Jazmac, we haven't seen Microsoft release this sort of alpha or pre-alpha build of Windows ever before. Sure, we got pre-release builds of Vista, 7 and 8 but they were in a far better state engineering-wise - they were almost assured of working correctly; only not enough to guarantee 100% success.
    What we have with Windows 10 is a very early build, which MS engineers themselves are still working on. So, this time around, the number of critical failures - of the kind you unfortunately have experienced - are a very real risk.
    neil richards1 and Jazmac like this.
    06-14-2015 02:54 AM
    First rodeo or not, the risks still exist. That's why you still have to accept the agreement, even if you've been on every preview since 3.0. I don't mean to downplay the fact that your hardware was supposedly broken why the Windows 10 TP, but finding those sorts of isolated bugs(?) is really what this technical preview is about. And the very reason why I don't ever recommend installing the TP to any of my friends. The risks are real. Tech pro or not, experienced veteran or not, every single person who signs up for the TP exposes themselves to these risks.

In my case, I guess I am just lucky that the TP deployed successfully without any problems on all my devices except for my development machine, which I decided to keep on Windows 8.1. And even if the TP did perform so well on all my other devices and PCs, even on my lowly Switch 10, I won't ever dream of installing it on my dev machine until the general release.
    That right there is the one reason why I NEVER install a TP as my main OS, the risks of running software in such an early form outweigh the potential benefits.

I always use a VM for tech previews as that allows you to help provide feedback without the risk of losing data, you have no idea how many times I've had the TP screw up on me in Hyper-V and it was just a case of remove the VM entirely or reformat the storage for the VM.

It's always interesting how people will blame software for a hardware failure. In OPs case I would say there was obviously some latent hardware issue and that installing the Windows 10 TP was the "nail in the coffin" as it were.
    Last edited by neo158; 06-14-2015 at 04:32 AM.
    06-14-2015 04:17 AM
    I hate Windows 10 Mobile.
    06-14-2015 04:56 AM
    I like Windows 10 Mobile, however it is really getting on my nerves that it takes them so much time to deal with really basic features (in the meantime there are some developers for example on Android (open project)) doing wonders and fixing things in a matter of days. Same goes for WP app developers who creates way better apps and fixes bugs asap.
    Jazmac likes this.
    06-14-2015 05:23 AM
    This is what you get when you test "Alpha" class software, who know when it will be stable enough to be deemed "Beta" but they are running out of time with 6 1/2 weeks left to release. I would think the last 2 builds would be considered "Beta" class but who knows. I too think you had the mis-fortune of having catastrophic hardware failure coupled with a "Alpha" or "Beta" class OS. The OS can't physically break hardware....
    RTM will be the new Beta. SP1 will be the new RTM.
    aximtreo and RumoredNow like this.
    06-14-2015 06:03 AM
    I applaud MS for setting up the TP program. It was done with good intentions but I have to believe that it will actually hurt them in the long run.

Even with all of the disclaimers and warnings about what can go wrong to me that like saying "there's something really cool in this box but you can't look inside" - Yeah, good luck with that.

I am also out of the TP program in record time. 3 hours. W10M is just too raw and has too many flaws and bugs to work properly. Heading back to 8.1 , maybe even 8.

I'm not liking the "new" look either (out with dark theme, in with white) but that's another post..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    06-14-2015 06:38 AM
    It's not so much "there's something cool in this box, but you can't look inside," as, "there's something cool in this box, but it's unfinished and may break whatever you use it on, so if you're ok with that, please open the box, because we'd really like some feedback."
    06-14-2015 08:04 AM
    I want to hear specifics about what reportedly failed. Model numbers, components, install history, age, specs etc. Symptoms. Attempted solutions.
    06-14-2015 08:40 AM
    I always use a VM for tech previews as that allows you to help provide feedback without the risk of losing data, you have no idea how many times I've had the TP screw up on me in Hyper-V and it was just a case of remove the VM entirely or reformat the storage for the VM.
    It's always interesting how people will blame software for a hardware failure. In OPs case I would say there was obviously some latent hardware issue and that installing the Windows 10 TP was the "nail in the coffin" as it were.
    General Question: How does one test the whole OS on a VMware?
    920Walker likes this.
    06-14-2015 08:57 AM
94 1234