I'm out of the Technical Preview business. I've had enough

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
That's why they put all those warnings, disclaimers and caveats before you join the program. You're taking a big risk to try out the latest builds of Windows and provide feedback. It's not an official update by any stretch of the imagination, and it definitely shouldn't be put on a device that you depend on for work. Again, warnings, disclaimers and caveats. ;)

I think we all understand about the warnings etc. What I can personally say is I'm surprised at the quality of these releases. If the RTM is coming the end of July, it better be a hell of a lot better than what we have seen up to now.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've been out for a while now. I've always tested early versions of stuff since the early 1980s.

Thing is, on this one, I had to reformat and reinstall windows on my laptop, re-download the drivers from the laptop maker, and flash the BIOS to make all my problems go away. What worked with Windows 10 was wonderful, but I was getting a couple of BSODs per hour, and that's just too much to take on a daily driver laptop.

My phone kept locking up and not allowing me to answer calls that would come in, so had to revert there as well.

Luckily, no hardware lost, but it was a pain to get it all working again.

I understand your pain, Jazmac, and respect you for trying your best, as I did. Not all of us had the right combination of hardware to successfully test things. One thing I made sure I did was give Microsoft a list of what didn't work for me on what combination of hardware so they could work on making it work later. A later version worked fine in dual-boot mode (wasn't going to make it my daily driver), except I lost all audio and multi-touch was lost on the touch screen. Single touch and a few simple gestures worked okay, but no multiple fingers for certain apps that required it, and there was also no swiping in from the edges of the screen. That was lost as well. So I decided to stop putting so much time into it, because it was frustrating and I needed to spend more time with my family.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I also gave up on technical preview on my 1020, and soon, will go back to win8.1 for my laptop as well. Although my experience wasn't as bad as yours, but I understand the frustration. People will say you were given warnings, disclaimers etc., I was fine with the rough experience, but with the new builds (desktop) ones, my laptop just started misbehaving, sound problems, cortana, start screen not opening, Critical shell errors, so on. If I experienced these on older builds, I would have accepted, but considering the fact that they are going to hit RTM next month, and saying newer build will bring stability, I doubt this has ever happened with me.
Installed 10130, rolled back in a few minutes to 10122. Jagged Experience. Also I feel like the feedback is not taken as it should be. Yes, the feedback with most up-votes deserves much attention, but for unique or rather rare system types, the errors faced won't be solved if this method was to be considered. My Hp laptop with beats audio hasn't been working properly since the very first build. Microphone issues and all, which were related to my PC (as I searched, but not the driver issues ), but should it mean I don't deserve the fixes.
For the phone, I was hell bent that I wouldn't go back to 8.1, even with delayed start screen , broken cortana with speech issues, I was ready to work it out, but all of a sudden phone started interfering with phone calls, messages, in general every thing went ****.
Yes there are people who have joined the TP program solely for testing purposes, there are some like me, who like to get things first, experience it and enjoy it keeping some kinks in the mind. But usability went aw.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I think It's more likely a simultaneous hardware failure in those two devices than the operating system damaging the hardware.
OP shouldn't blame the TP without first understanding the problem.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I really, REALLY, am baffled by Windows 10 damaging two machines. Nope... It simply shouldn't happen. I've installed the preview onto 8 machines so far... No issues so maybe I'm lucky.

As for the laptop... I you cannot re-install Windows 7/8 from which it arrived then that's the MACHINE'S problem not Windows 10.

P.s. If you've been in this business for a long time then you'll know that preview software isn't the best.

Mikegwald

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Why not just use the Microsoft phone recovery tool to reflash the phone ? As for PC / laptop there is always a way to recover it. Do you not have bootable recovery ?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is what you get when you test "Alpha" class software, who know when it will be stable enough to be deemed "Beta" but they are running out of time with 6 1/2 weeks left to release. I would think the last 2 builds would be considered "Beta" class but who knows. I too think you had the mis-fortune of having catastrophic hardware failure coupled with a "Alpha" or "Beta" class OS. The OS can't physically break hardware....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why not just use the Microsoft phone recovery tool to reflash the phone ? As for PC / laptop there is always a way to recover it. Do you not have bootable recovery ?
That is my point Mikeg, windows software has never been destructive like this. Yes I could reflash and recover but at worse, a reinstall of a stable OS and I'm back in the game. I've been there hundreds of times in my years of doing this. No biggy.

People hated on Vista like it was the opening of the 7th seal. If this drops anywhere close to how it is now, and I suspect there is a good chance for that, given the time left, Apple better staff up now because they are going to be mad busy. (I say that last part tongue n cheek to the conspiracy therorist out there)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That is my point Mikeg, windows software has never been destructive like this. Yes I could reflash and recover but at worse, a reinstall of a stable OS and I'm back in the game. I've been there hundreds of times in my years of doing this. No biggy.

People hated on Vista like it was the opening of the 7th seal. If this drops anywhere close to how it is now, and I suspect there is a good chance for that, given the time left, Apple better staff up now because they are going to be mad busy. (I say that last part tongue n cheek to the conspiracy therorist out there)
I must be that one person who liked Vista. SP1 fixed a multitude of sins but the damage was done. I hope I'm wrong but I see history repeating. Vista had elements of 7 but many of XP's features. The blend of old (8.1) and new is eerily reminiscent. Time will tell.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I must be that one person who liked Vista. SP1 fixed a multitude of sins but the damage was done. I hope I'm wrong but I see history repeating. Vista had elements of 7 but many of XP's features. The blend of old (8.1) and new is eerily reminiscent. Time will tell.

I didn't mind it as well. it powered the family PC with minor fuss until the graphics gave out.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I didn't mind it as well. it powered the family PC with minor fuss until the graphics gave out.
I only hated Vista because it gave me black screen error twice in one month. I had to reinstall it both times.

I never got SP1. After that disaster I installed 7 beta, followed by RC, and RTM. I got official 7 on its release date. I never saw a blue screen error, much less a black screen error, on any version of 7.

I'm going to wait to install official 10. These kind of serious bugs are troubling for a product that's supposed to be released in 1? months.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I only hated Vista because it gave me black screen error twice in one month. I had to reinstall it both times.

I never got SP1. After that disaster I installed 7 beta, followed by RC, and RTM. I got official 7 on its release date. I never saw a blue screen error, much less a black screen error, on any version of 7.

I'm going to wait to install official 10. These kind of serious bugs are troubling for a product that's supposed to be released in 1? months.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

7 is going to be a tough act to follow. I have 8.1 Pro on my prehistoric Motion Computing tablet and my wife's desktop for the sake of having it but my laptop is anchored to 7 Pro. Quick little anecdote, the Mrs. (aka Speaker of the House) loves 8.1 because it reminds her of WP and she's had zero issues with the navigation. She rarely uses the desktop mode and she's not moaning about the loss of our Mac desktop. Even though it's a touch monitor she's a mouse and keyboard gal through and through. With all the horror stories regarding Windows 8 and the start menu, blah blah blah, I guess the trick to liking Windows begins with having Windows Phone first. Who knew?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
7 is going to be a tough act to follow. I have 8.1 Pro on my prehistoric Motion Computing tablet and my wife's desktop for the sake of having it but my laptop is anchored to 7 Pro. Quick little anecdote, the Mrs. (aka Speaker of the House) loves 8.1 because it reminds her of WP and she's had zero issues with the navigation. She rarely uses the desktop mode and she's not moaning about the loss of our Mac desktop. Even though it's a touch monitor she's a mouse and keyboard gal through and through. With all the horror stories regarding Windows 8 and the start menu, blah blah blah, I guess the trick to liking Windows begins with having Windows Phone first. Who knew?
I didn't hate 8/8.1 either, but I also used Windows Phone first.

I have a notebook that has a touchscreen, but 95% of the time I'm in the desktop anyway.

I'd say 7 is my all time favorite version of Windows.

I wouldn't say Vista was the worst. That honor goes to 98. Most people say ME or Bob was the worst, but I never had ME or Bob.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I put Windows 10 10130 on my Surface Pro 3. Installed and no sound. No workaround to get sound to work, on one of Microsoft's own products. Sound worked with headphones tho (??) .. looked all over Bing and Google, not much info. Pretty baffling. Reverted to 8.1, which amazingly only took a few minutes and works just like it used to.

Ironically, on my 3+ year old HP, Win 10 10130 is working without a hitch perfectly and I love it. Also have it running on a test phone (Lumia 635) and it works as well as anyone elses I suppose, but I just use that as an mp3 player in the car basically...

Never know what will happen with these pre releases!

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the funny thing is I just got a Dell XPS 13 this week (the new 2015 model) and the first thing I did was install the Windows 10 preview on the SSD. I haven't had any issues with it.

However I installed it on my dad's desktop computer as a test. Somehow the Wi-Fi drivers are installed correctly and Device Manager shows it as working. Yet Windows cannot find any Wi-Fi routers. I removed the drivers, let windows reinstall them, didn't work. Removed the drivers again, downloaded the drivers from the official website, still didn't work (somehow it's conflicting between a D-LINK DWA-522 and a Broadcom drivers) but yeah Windows 10 is really a hit and miss for some devices.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The BIOS always controls the speed of a fan, with Windows sometimes working with it to request levels of thermal cooling. As the fan was a non-geniune HP replacement it could have all sorts of different characteristics that would cause it to sound loud when the BIOS kicked it into fast mode. Or it's just as likely the BIOS has a bug and Windows requested a cooling level you'd never seen before.

Replacing your fan with an HP part would be a good starting point to seeing if there is a problem which would happen again. Still, I hope you reported this in the feedback tool anyway.

The fan was a genuine replacement HP Fan , the one in the image was a stock photo. I wouldn't put a non genuine part in my own laptop and besides never have used such parts. If the bios had a bug then it would affect the cooling levels in windows 7 wouldn't it?

I haven't got windows 10 running up on a VM yet as the current build refuses to install (hangs on the setup is starting screen)

Stalled VM.jpg

So once I do get the preview up and running I will report it in the feedback tool.

Edit: here is a photo of the fan, also a bit of background - confirmed genuine with two trusted sources where I get my other parts from. The sticker was peeled as I was looking for a screw to check the motor - but there wasn't one.

WP_20150614_05_08_36_Pro.jpg

The underside:

WP_20150614_05_19_53_Pro.jpg

This however is not a genuine part, (one taken out of the spare laptop) as you can easily tell from the construction of the fan (put together by screws not hot glue as far I have seen most genuine parts these days use hot glue - to save costs on the screws - it all adds up)

WP_20150614_05_15_10_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think your hardware issues go beyond the tp, maybe you should have read up on all the facts and stuff before trying such previews as this. seems to me you are very inexperienced in the matter and does really sound like it is your first rodeo.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think your hardware issues go beyond the tp, maybe you should have read up on all the facts and stuff before trying such previews as this. seems to me you are very inexperienced in the matter and does really sound like it is your first rodeo.
You won't be the first to spew rhetoric believing your opinion to you trumps the facts.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Again, don't get it twisted and don't get buried in agreements.
You ARE lucky and you've said as much. If you make it out on the other side, count yourself blessed. This TP is not only not working for too many, its causing otherwise good hardware to no longer work. NO OTHER RELEASE of Windows has ever done this.before. From 3.0 to 8.0 beta, they have all either worked or not work. This version is like none before it and at the end of the day, I'm out otherwise good hardware. They won't replace my hardware and nd I'm not asking them to. But I won't commit another dime or another minute to this preview. So I'm out.

How do you know your experiences from 3.0-8.0 beta wasn't just luck? Maybe this time the luck has run out and the reality hits in.

I understand you're very experienced and all that. I've lost a couple of desktops due to the preview (won't boot). I don't count myself unlucky. Instead when I lose good hardware, I know the risks of running previews beforehand. If you know the risks and can't take them, then don't do it. I guess that is why you're getting off the preview - you now understand the risks. So well done.

You're playing Russian roulette - only this time you got shot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb