I'm out of the Technical Preview business. I've had enough

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
How do you know your experiences from 3.0-8.0 beta wasn't just luck? Maybe this time the luck has run out and the reality hits in.

I understand you're very experienced and all that. I've lost a couple of desktops due to the preview (won't boot). I don't count myself unlucky. Instead when I lose good hardware, I know the risks of running previews beforehand. If you know the risks and can't take them, then don't do it. I guess that is why you're getting off the preview - you now understand the risks. So well done.

You're playing Russian roulette - only this time you got shot.
ROTFL. 16 years of luck? No one has odds like that. I'm not going to continue.

"I'm out of the contest" -Kramer
Seinfeld-KramerOutofTheContest.gif.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That is my point Mikeg, windows software has never been destructive like this. Yes I could reflash and recover but at worse, a reinstall of a stable OS and I'm back in the game. I've been there hundreds of times in my years of doing this. No biggy.

Jazmac, we haven't seen Microsoft release this sort of alpha or pre-alpha build of Windows ever before. Sure, we got pre-release builds of Vista, 7 and 8 but they were in a far better state engineering-wise - they were almost assured of working correctly; only not enough to guarantee 100% success.
What we have with Windows 10 is a very early build, which MS engineers themselves are still working on. So, this time around, the number of critical failures - of the kind you unfortunately have experienced - are a very real risk.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
First rodeo or not, the risks still exist. That's why you still have to accept the agreement, even if you've been on every preview since 3.0. I don't mean to downplay the fact that your hardware was supposedly broken why the Windows 10 TP, but finding those sorts of isolated bugs(?) is really what this technical preview is about. And the very reason why I don't ever recommend installing the TP to any of my friends. The risks are real. Tech pro or not, experienced veteran or not, every single person who signs up for the TP exposes themselves to these risks.

In my case, I guess I am just lucky that the TP deployed successfully without any problems on all my devices except for my development machine, which I decided to keep on Windows 8.1. And even if the TP did perform so well on all my other devices and PCs, even on my lowly Switch 10, I won't ever dream of installing it on my dev machine until the general release.

That right there is the one reason why I NEVER install a TP as my main OS, the risks of running software in such an early form outweigh the potential benefits.

I always use a VM for tech previews as that allows you to help provide feedback without the risk of losing data, you have no idea how many times I've had the TP screw up on me in Hyper-V and it was just a case of remove the VM entirely or reformat the storage for the VM.

It's always interesting how people will blame software for a hardware failure. In OPs case I would say there was obviously some latent hardware issue and that installing the Windows 10 TP was the "nail in the coffin" as it were.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I like Windows 10 Mobile, however it is really getting on my nerves that it takes them so much time to deal with really basic features (in the meantime there are some developers for example on Android (open project)) doing wonders and fixing things in a matter of days. Same goes for WP app developers who creates way better apps and fixes bugs asap.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is what you get when you test "Alpha" class software, who know when it will be stable enough to be deemed "Beta" but they are running out of time with 6 1/2 weeks left to release. I would think the last 2 builds would be considered "Beta" class but who knows. I too think you had the mis-fortune of having catastrophic hardware failure coupled with a "Alpha" or "Beta" class OS. The OS can't physically break hardware....
RTM will be the new Beta. SP1 will be the new RTM.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I applaud MS for setting up the TP program. It was done with good intentions but I have to believe that it will actually hurt them in the long run.

Even with all of the disclaimers and warnings about what can go wrong to me that like saying "there's something really cool in this box but you can't look inside" - Yeah, good luck with that.

I am also out of the TP program in record time. 3 hours. W10M is just too raw and has too many flaws and bugs to work properly. Heading back to 8.1 , maybe even 8.

I'm not liking the "new" look either (out with dark theme, in with white) but that's another post..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
It's not so much "there's something cool in this box, but you can't look inside," as, "there's something cool in this box, but it's unfinished and may break whatever you use it on, so if you're ok with that, please open the box, because we'd really like some feedback."

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I want to hear specifics about what reportedly failed. Model numbers, components, install history, age, specs etc. Symptoms. Attempted solutions.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I always use a VM for tech previews as that allows you to help provide feedback without the risk of losing data, you have no idea how many times I've had the TP screw up on me in Hyper-V and it was just a case of remove the VM entirely or reformat the storage for the VM.
It's always interesting how people will blame software for a hardware failure. In OPs case I would say there was obviously some latent hardware issue and that installing the Windows 10 TP was the "nail in the coffin" as it were.
General Question: How does one test the whole OS on a VMware?

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site

you need an .iso of whatever build you want to run in a virtual machine. once you have that run VMWare and it will walk you through the setup. I would suggest a second drive to run the VM off of so that you can work on you rig while the VM is running. this way you will not be competing for hard drive resources.

Also to the OP....

I have been testing Windows since XP as an external tester. In the past the public didn't have access to builds (unless something was leaked). When Microsoft released a public preview it was generally stable and didn't wreck hardware.

WIth the insider program that has all changed... Anyone with a Microsoft account can get access to a lesser stable version with Microsoft collecting massive amounts of user data (read the TOS) to chase bugs and refine the O/S and UI. After laying off their entire O/S testing division they needed something to fill the void of internal testers they no longer had.

So to summarize... the general public never had access as they do today and it is out of necessity on Microsoft's part.

I hope this sheds a little light on an obviously trying issue for you. BTW.... I soft bricked a 1020 on the mobile preview and thought all was lost, but recently an update to the recovery tool has unbricked the phone and is running again

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I want to hear specifics about what reportedly failed. Model numbers, components, install history, age, specs etc. Symptoms. Attempted solutions.
Much respect to you but I'll take it from here. I've already begun repairs. Thanks. Just for the heck of it, both devices less than 3 years old.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good on ya Jazmac for starting this thread and putting up with all the "you shoulda" and "I woulda" comments.

It's a public service, this thread. As I just posted in another thread, "Glitch Happens" and that with even official releases.

Part of the problem is the growing sense our society has of personal entitlement and instant gratification. People simply expect they are owed this software now, before the official release, and that everything about it should be sufficient at the very least. Your tale, and many others like it, fly in the face of that personal want and desire for "Gimme now and make it good and make me feel special for being on the inside." In other words your reality is harshing their fantasy...

I'm not going TP on any computers in my household. I tried it on a 635 (bought specially for TP) for just a minute to scratch my itch and then I was out. No biggy.

Sure there are a LOT of dedicated, hard core users operating within the Insider programs as they were designed. Diligently testing to destruction, reporting bugs and crashes and worse, giving feedback on UI and UX. But for every one of those, there are 5 or more dilettantes just joy riding and going, "Wheeeeeeeee, look at what I got freeeeeeeeeeee!" And when it works for them they laugh. When it doesn't work they cry harder than Oedipus upon learning the truth of his situation and lash about with double the drama.

So thank you again for a realistic, balanced and logical presentation. And thank you for doing all you did accomplish as a dedicated Tester doing their diligence.

41397-Picard-clapping-applause-gif-vX3R.gif

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

The same way you would if it was installed as the main OS on your device. The point is that a TP is just that and should only be installed on bare metal if it's a spare machine, which is why I have no sympathy for those who lose data through installing it on their main device.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I lost a hard drive initially but I was fine with it because it was my choice. I bought a new one and waited for a newer build and continued. I don't mind because my testing is on a laptop which I don't really use much. I'll use it once a month if not less. I do everything either on my desktop or phone.

But you mention you have done all their technical previews? From my understanding this is the first time Microsoft has ever done a technical preview. The older OS's had beta releases. That's not the same as what Microsoft is doing here. You are getting it as it is getting built and right before your eyes. And they have made this clear. This is why I think people getting into technical preview should have to read the terms and then take a test on it before they can join.

This is not MIcrosoft's Fault!

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I lost a hard drive initially but I was fine with it because it was my choice. I bought a new one and waited for a newer build and continued. I don't mind because my testing is on a laptop which I don't really use much. I'll use it once a month if not less. I do everything either on my desktop or phone.

But you mention you have done all their technical previews? From my understanding this is the first time Microsoft has ever done a technical preview. The older OS's had beta releases. That's not the same as what Microsoft is doing here. You are getting it as it is getting built and right before your eyes. And they have made this clear. This is why I think people getting into technical preview should have to read the terms and then take a test on it before they can join.

This is not MIcrosoft's Fault!
By your understanding if the very last build that I get right before rtm, and it is still giving me problems, I should just sit on my *** waiting for someone to solve that ****, which I am not supposed to face in the first place.
When I first bought Lumia 520 in 2013, I suffered several random reboots, crashes, duplication in song bug, and many more I don't remember now. My point, as a customer of Microsoft's OS, I didn't expect those bugs and certainly I wouldn't want bugs when I upgrade from windows 8 to 10. Therefore the purpose for each of the insider should be, to make sure the final product is bug free and has fluent experience, be it a technician, engineer, student, artist etc. And no matter how they have tested it, given caution to the obvious bugs, overall, should have a satisfactory experience.
Also,I am grateful that Microsoft has launched such a program, but I needn't to be reminded of just for sharing my opinion.
P.S. I tried testing on secondary devices, but never could give enough time, ran both the versions on my primary, and only recently(10122 and so forth) experienced work affecting bugs that prompted me to revert back.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Good on ya Jazmac for starting this thread and putting up with all the "you shoulda" and "I woulda" comments.

No joke! Jaz, you're a better man than I am. As a mod I have to mind my Ps & Qs and set the example. But I'd be on permaban by now. I'll defer to someone with the proper credentials to set me straight but if a corrupted file can totally brick a phone requiring JTag or similar, then I'm guessing the same can happen to a PC or any of its components.

Can someone with an alphabet soup behind their name chime in?

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You won't be the first to spew rhetoric believing your opinion to you trumps the facts.

I have been running the TP for both desktop and mobile since the beginning across multiple devices, desktops, laptops, tablets and multiple phones, never had any such issues with it damaging hardware, that is not spewing rhetoric, those are cold hard facts.

startrunner

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
You had been warned. It has been a well-known fact that the Windows 10 tech preview is unlike any before, with faster updates (and more bugs), from the very beginning.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs