I'm out of the Technical Preview business. I've had enough

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why do people complain about this? Using a product with software that's not fully developed is bound to come across problems and bugs.

Not sure the answer to why people complain about anything but they do. What is truly weird to me are those that complain that people complain. I'm still researching that one.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 106347The Technical Preview is not like anything I have ever encountered by Microsoft and I have had them all. But I am sooo finished with this Technical Preview program. With as much experience I have, it is simply not enough for whatever this TP trajectory is supposed to be. So far I've lost a laptop that I now have to return have repaired and the latest is my Windows tablet that has lost touch. I can't swipe to get to the password page now, And when it did work once, WiFi was gone. Now it just gets hot and I have to force it to shut down to prevent it from burning out.
I won't even get into about my Lumia woes because I expected it to get busted from this preview and its not my daily driver. But it is part of my technical preview misery index. What's worse, NOBODY has a clue as to how to resolve these issues. So, I'm finished and I'm out. No more updates. The last one I did today on 10130 somehow made Cortana think I'm too young to use it. So no more. No more of these incremental lets see what happens if we give them this type downloads. I'll stick with 8.1, which I'm used to anyway until this program is finally over.

Technical preview is for technical people XD
Jokes aside, I hope you can get your devices serviced, and I hope Microsoft will continue to refine their previewer platform.

Microsoft has been pretty good about releasing software that does not permanently brick devices.
Most importantly, all lumias have a jtag interface. That seemingly "impossible" QHSUSB_DLOAD issue could be resolved with jtag!

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm deeply confused. For anyone claiming that their PC hardware has been damaged by the Win10 TP, exactly what mechanism are you proposing caused the damage beyond correlation equals causation? (I can see phones being a different situation where the lines between OS and firmware are more blurred, and recovery options are more limited.)

Here's a true story: I used to have a Mustang GT. It was great vehicle and ran without any major problems for over a decade. After getting married and having our first child, we got a Subaru as our family car and my wife's daily driver. After our second child, we got a minivan that became my wife's primary vehicle. As much as I liked my Mustang, the Subaru was newer and I decided to sell the Mustang and keep the Subaru as my daily driver. But before I could do that, the Mustang's air pump seized, destroying the accessory belt. I'm pretty handy with cars, so I got a rebuilt air pump from the local parts store and installed it along with a new belt. Got it running, and was trying to sell it again when the rebuilt air pump seized up again after no more than a half hour of running time. Was completely disgusted and sold it off as-is with a bad air pump.

So purely on a correlation equals causation basis, buying a minivan clearly caused my Mustang's air pump to fail (repeatedly), though for the life of me, I still can't come up with a physics based explanation :grin:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I have been running the TP for both desktop and mobile since the beginning across multiple devices, desktops, laptops, tablets and multiple phones, never had any such issues with it damaging hardware, that is not spewing rhetoric, those are cold hard facts.

Yes, but there are people who do. My hard drive died due to something microsoft was doing which certain hard drives ended up in a state where they can't be detected. I couldn't rescue mine using many different methods including linux. I don't mind though because I went into it knowing something could happen. This definitely doesn't affect the majority. But the insiders are sort of lab rats to test code out and help microsoft build an even better experience for the rest of the world. It will be more functional and less probablematic by the time it's released to the world and that's important when you're giving a free operating system away.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Wait... You applied the minivan directly on the Mustang somehow. :shocked:

No, but Windows 10 TP doesn't replace the firmware of any of the hardware either. In other words it isn't "applied" to the hardware in any meaningful manner. Or, tell you what, I'm making an assumption with that. Maybe it is. Explain how.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, but Windows 10 TP doesn't replace the firmware of any of the hardware either. In other words it isn't "applied" to the hardware in any meaningful manner. Or, tell you what, I'm making an assumption with that. Maybe it is. Explain how.

Hey... It's your analogy. I'm just pointing out a difference. I assume that at no time were your Mustang and Minivan merged in some fashion.

Go ahead and explain to me how the analogy is apt.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but there are people who do. My hard drive died due to something microsoft was doing which certain hard drives ended up in a state where they can't be detected. I couldn't rescue mine using many different methods including linux. I don't mind though because I went into it knowing something could happen. This definitely doesn't affect the majority. But the insiders are sort of lab rats to test code out and help microsoft build an even better experience for the rest of the world. It will be more functional and less probablematic by the time it's released to the world and that's important when you're giving a free operating system away.

Can you further describe this or give a link that explains this in more detail? What did Microsoft do to hard drives that rendered them undiscoverable not only in Windows but in other operating systems? Either there's a serious problem in Windows or a serious problem in the hardware standards if that can happen. (Again, unless firmware is getting updated and a problem comes up then.)

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey... It's your analogy. I'm just pointing out a difference. I assume that at no time were your Mustang and Minivan merged in some fashion.

Go ahead and explain to me how the analogy is apt.

Because someone says "I did 'A' and 'B' happened." Unless that person can come up with a link between 'A' and 'B' then it's just conjecture.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No I understand what you were trying to point out.

How exactly is owning two separate vehicles the same as installing software on a computer?

Now if you would have blamed some gasoline that you put in the Mustang that would make more sense.

The OP is not stating his laptop died because he put Win 10 on his desktop, is he?

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
No I understand what you were trying to point out.

How exactly is owning two separate vehicles the same as installing software on a computer.

Now if you would have blamed some gasoline that you put in the Mustang that would make more sense.

The OP is not stating his laptop died because he put Win 10 on his desktop, is he?

OK, how about this - I went from driving my Mtustang every day to once per week. That caused the air pump to fail almost immediately. Feel better?

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
OK, how about this - I went from driving my Mtustang every day to once per week. That caused the air pump to fail almost immediately. Feel better?

You're still not making sense...sorry.
There's clearly a link to all of the malfunctioning devices out there, both phones and laptops and surface pros, surfaces on the whole and tablets being rendered unusable right after the installation of the preview.

Anyone else asking how the preview is linked to these failures need a reality check and read the forums about the numerous bricked phones and how Microsoft has addressed them. Along with driver bugs causing some systems to be inoperable due to video cards issues (nvidia) but thankfully that is supposedly solved now.

It is a preview, yes, but I've not heard of any other preview causing this much damage over the years nor on other competitor platforms. Who knows ? Maybe I'm wrong but...

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You're still not making sense...sorry.
There's clearly a link to all of the malfunctioning devices out there, both phones and laptops and surface pros, surfaces on the whole and tablets being rendered unusable right after the installation of the preview.

Anyone else asking how the preview is linked to these failures need a reality check and read the forums about the numerous bricked phones and how Microsoft has addressed them. Along with driver bugs causing some systems to be inoperable due to video cards issues (nvidia) but thankfully that is supposedly solved now.

It is a preview, yes, but I've not heard of any other preview causing this much damage over the years nor on other competitor platforms. Who knows ? Maybe I'm wrong but...

Uhh, yeah, so? I've already talked about phones being a different issue from PCs. And "bad drivers" on PCs isn't the same as damaged hardware. You can screw up graphics drivers in Win10 and still be able to roll back or switch to another OS.

"Upgrading" a WIndows 7-8.X PC to the Win10 TP preview may cause all sorts of issues. That's the nature of alpha level experimental OS builds, and I have no issue with reminding people of the risks. But there's a huge difference between that and claiming that Win10 TP cause permanent hardware damage in PCs. In this thread there are claims of hardware damage to PCs including fans and hard drives. If people are going to make those sorts of claims, I'd like to see an attempt at some sort of explanation backing that up besides correlation = causation.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Uhh, yeah, so? I've already talked about phones being a different issue from PCs. And "bad drivers" on PCs isn't the same as damaged hardware. You can screw up graphics drivers in Win10 and still be able to roll back or switch to another OS.

"Upgrading" a WIndows 7-8.X PC to the Win10 TP preview may cause all sorts of issues. That's the nature of alpha level experimental OS builds, and I have no issue with reminding people of the risks. But there's a huge difference between that and claiming that Win10 TP cause permanent hardware damage in PCs. In this thread there are claims of hardware damage to PCs including fans and hard drives. If people are going to make those sorts of claims, I'd like to see an attempt at some sort of explanation backing that up besides correlation = causation.

You seem like one of the persons who think too hard about accepting reality. I guess unless it personally has happened to you that you would never believe it. In most cases that's the kind of logic to live by but not in all.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
You seem like one of the persons who think too hard about accepting reality. I guess unless it personally has happened to you that you would never believe it. In most cases that's the kind of logic to live by but not in all.

Quite the opposite. I'm an engineer by day. (Mechanical, not software.) I've had to debug various claims from internal (other engineering groups at the same company) and external customers. While usually when things inexplicably go wrong it can be traced to things like installation errors, and to a lesser extent bad luck and random chance, I've often enough come across an unaccounted for interaction between components that I don't immediately discount such claims. But I do ask for more evidence, especially when we're talking about something that should be happening across large populations. (How many preview members are there exactly vs how many complaints? Are there consistent complaints for a particular product [e.g. Surface Pro, Dell XPS13]? If so, is there a plausible explanation for the problem like some sort of firmware update that isn't going out to other devices?)

"Correlation != causation" and "Correlation = causation!" involves the exact same characters, just reordered slightly. But that subtle difference is huge. It's the difference between sending people to the moon and sacrificing virgins in the volcano.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you further describe this or give a link that explains this in more detail? What did Microsoft do to hard drives that rendered them undiscoverable not only in Windows but in other operating systems? Either there's a serious problem in Windows or a serious problem in the hardware standards if that can happen. (Again, unless firmware is getting updated and a problem comes up then.)

It's well known among those that suffered the issue. You can google Windows 10 and Power up in standy. It's a feature you can set on a hard drive called PUIS. The disk goes into standby and then bios needs to wake it during boot. But the bios couldn't do that. So it left users trying to use hard drive recovery software. In my scenario it just would not get detected by anything after that setting.

Microsoft confirms latest windows 10 technical preview bricks harddisks/

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I must be that one person who liked Vista. SP1 fixed a multitude of sins but the damage was done. I hope I'm wrong but I see history repeating. Vista had elements of 7 but many of XP's features. The blend of old (8.1) and new is eerily reminiscent. Time will tell.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
I wanted to get back to this one earlier but on Vista, it was fine after SP1. It was IMHO a very solid OS. MS ran up against the clock when MS released and MS paid dearly. As memory serves, it was dropped during the transition between Gates and Balmer and Balmer took the heat because it was on his watch. When SP1 dropped, it resolved almost all this issues Vista had and given a better release schedule, Vista would have had much better press.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to show that Franken-computers are still possible, this is my latest pet project. Windows 8.1 Pro on a 2003-era Tablet PC with a Pentium M with single-core and 1.2gHz and 512MB RAM. Who said it can't be done. I have every feature working except wifi. The drivers load but I can't get into WZC. I'm suspecting a bad card and I've had to shell out a budget-busting $4.75 for a new one. Considering that 8.1 requires minimum 1 gig of Ram and WDDM 1.0 on the video, this thing runs pretty good on the 512 RAM and 32MB of video memory.

20150614_161235.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb