I'm out of the Technical Preview business. I've had enough

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just to show that Franken-computers are still possible, this is my latest pet project. Windows 8.1 Pro on a 2003-era Tablet PC with a Pentium M with single-core and 1.2gHz and 512MB RAM. Who said it can't be done. I have every feature working except wifi. The drivers load but I can't get into WZC. I'm suspecting a bad card and I've had to shell out a budget-busting $4.75 for a new one. Considering that 8.1 requires minimum 1 gig of Ram and WDDM 1.0 on the video, this thing runs pretty good on the 512 RAM and 32MB of video memory

Update: WiFi is now working and I'm upping the RAM to its limit. Who's going to be the first to dare me into loading the TP?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I kind of wish I didn't go the TP route but since its so close to launch I guess I will stick with it until the end.

neil richards1

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Sounds more than likely that some of the hardware in your laptop was on the way out before you installed windows 10 TP & it is pure coincidence that your hardware died after you installed windows 10 TP. You cant whinge at Microsoft or anyone else for that matter, as you were well & truly warned of the dangers installing the tech preview software, I would be prepared to bet 10K, that you didn't read any of the warnings, T&Cs etc. You will just have to suck it up & move on as its nobody else's fault but your own.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sounds more than likely that some of the hardware in your laptop was on the way out before you installed windows 10 TP & it is pure coincidence that your hardware died after you installed windows 10 TP. You cant whinge at Microsoft or anyone else for that matter, as you were well & truly warned of the dangers installing the tech preview software, I would be prepared to bet 10K, that you didn't read any of the warnings, T&Cs etc. You will just have to suck it up & move on as its nobody else's fault but your own.
The OP is not a novice, and he did understand the warnings.

He is not the only person who had this happen. Please see the following post.

It's well known among those that suffered the issue. You can google Windows 10 and Power up in standy. It's a feature you can set on a hard drive called PUIS. The disk goes into standby and then bios needs to wake it during boot. But the bios couldn't do that. So it left users trying to use hard drive recovery software. In my scenario it just would not get detected by anything after that setting.

Microsoft confirms latest windows 10 technical preview bricks harddisks/

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
First On Race Day. I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy. Friends don't let friends drive Chevys.

It's on now! Gimme whachugot.

That's because you're used to it. :amaze:

No, that's because a Ford Fiesta or Mondeo is a smooth and reliable modern car with real suspension and Chevys appear to be based on horse carriage suspension and run on coal. Chevys feel like US cars. Fords, at least the ones in Europe, very much don't.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, so I am finally back on windows 8.1. And wow the experience I had missed, everything is faster, animations are better, certainly missing features such as snap view/taskview and icons and certain animations. But one thing that I like most on windows 8.1 is, I am using touch mode on my laptop more often. I barely used on windows 10. Now scrolling through websites, app switching, common tasks etc., are all now done using touch and I am loving it. Using Windows 10 made me think why I had touch enabled laptop in the first place. Now all is justified again.
Clearly, in my experience on both the OSs', touch element is much, much better on windows 8.1, and I am not saying that I don't like win 10, but wow.
I was thinking of upgrading my pc to 10 rtm as soon as it launched, but nope, unless touch is improved, I am not going to use windows 10, will rather wait for upgrades etc.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I am finally back on windows 8.1. And wow the experience I had missed, everything is faster, animations are better, certainly missing features such as snap view/taskview and icons and certain animations. But one thing that I like most on windows 8.1 is, I am using touch mode on my laptop more often. I barely used on windows 10. Now scrolling through websites, app switching, common tasks etc., are all now done using touch and I am loving it. Using Windows 10 made me think why I had touch enabled laptop in the first place. Now all is justified again.
Clearly, in my experience on both the OSs', touch element is much, much better on windows 8.1, and I am not saying that I don't like win 10, but wow.
I was thinking of upgrading my pc to 10 rtm as soon as it launched, but nope, unless touch is improved, I am not going to use windows 10, will rather wait for upgrades etc.

I'm jealous. I'm stuck (for unsolved technical reasons) on freakin' 10080. Worst mistake I've ever made..WP10M...Yeah, good luck!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I would think you'd love it once you try it as a finished OS. I've been using them quite regularly on my Mac in a VM and just recently got a Build for my Surface 3. I am totally blown away by the new functionality and potential showed so far. Can't wait for Official release of both the PC and Phone versions!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720