Has Microsoft pulled a fast one on us?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Pardon the typo !! I work nights and am half dead doing this. I also tend not to proof read before I click post. Thank you for the read (fixed) !!!!

I remember it only because it caused a fuss in my family. My Grandmother would not believe it was real, saying because of the Tower of Babel ( I forget if this is correct spelling), man could never do such a thing. My Parents trying to tell her that it was a real thing and not a movie.

My parents have quizzed me on this as well, as they just can not believe I even knew what was going on. Also that I can draw a floor plan of all 3 levels of the house. I should add they sold that house when I was 3.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're not doing anything illegal then you have nothing to worry about. I hate to break it to some of you but you're really not that important. No one wants to watch you and a lot of the things you're against help law enforcement catch some very sick people.

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Also its not like theres some human looking at everything you do, going through all the data that Cortana takes in 24/7.... That would take so many people to monitor everything eveybody searches or use the internet to do.... I'm sure stuff like this is only accessed when needed, just like with Internet Service Providers

Or computers scour through user data to form statistics to find out whats popular and stuff like that to improve their services and other peoples services....

But at the end of the day I pretty much impossible to be active in society and not drop info here and there... companies know your credit cards, people see you walk in and out of buildings, ISP's c access what you look up, the hospital knows where you were born, your ethnicity, etc.

Once again we live in a connected world

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
People have given up their personal information years ago. Just look at Facebook... Cortana stores locally and on a server all of your preferences to personalize the results. Will they sell ads? Well I'm not sure perhaps it's written down on their Service Agreement on the Microsoft Account site that you've agreed to give them access to your data or something.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
If you don't want your data in the hands of businesses, don't use their products as simple as that, because whether they want to use the data for malicious purposes or not, either way the data they take in helps improve user experience

23kid

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Ha ha as someone said; if you use facebook, you have no private data.

Although I guess Mr Z and co. have decide we're not worthy for their service and pulled us.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I am going to be nice about this......
Please do not even try to tell me to educate myself on any topic, as I have walked this earth for some time now. From reading your posts my guess is you are either late Teen's maybe early 20's ( feel free to correct me on this), and you have the truth and the light on the world.
I still remember being a kid and watching Armstrong walking on the moon, live on a state of the art Black and White TV......Color TV was only for the super rich back then.

Any way when you have paid taxes for as many years as I have then you may call into question what I may or may not know of the world. But to be honest, I more than likely have socks older then you.

Just in my life time alone the changes I have seen with my own eyes. When you have seen as much, then you may take the attitude you have toward me and any comments I make.

Have your self a nice day and may you go in peace!!

You know..you are right. I am in my early 20's. And thanks for trying to be "nice"....while yet trying to undermine everything I've said because I'm younger than you. How generous....please.

And btw...just because you're older doesn't me you know more or are more correct on the opinions you stand. Age does bring experience and wisdom..at least I would hope...im pretty sure you've seen cases where this doesn't hold a grain of truth and cases where younger people have spoken profound wisdom and truths..

But wether we agree or not..please do not be one of those "old" folks who use their age as a justification to undermine someone younger than you or their opinions. That's one of the most basic, insecure, overused and down right nonsensical argument most older people make. No disrespect of course ;-)

But that way of arguing doesn't help your point at all. Have a good day yourself.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the funny part is how people thought there was anything else about this that could happen. Everything tech companies do now is about advertising. It's a way to supplement giving the OS away for free, among other things. I mean, it's no different than the way people throw out every iota of personal information on Facebook or Twitter. How can you be surprised when you see what the Internet keeps for information? I mean, if you didn't know this, you deserve to have your data stolen for not thinking before you act.

In reality, your personal information is everywhere. It can be found, even if you think you're "off the grid," by not using Facebook. At this point, I guess the best thing to do is try to leverage it to your advantage, by signing up for all of the spam e-mail accounts to get free money from companies when you shop online or something.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I find this tends to be a generational thing. I've noticed older people have more of a problem just wantonly sharing everything with whoever, especially if they are technical. Younger folks tend to be more lemming-like and have no problem sharing their entire existence online. I think it is due in part to a lack of understanding the technology, or what companies can and do get up to.

"If you're not doing anything wrong, what are you worried about?" is a fairly typical attitude. Well, you don't have to be doing anything wrong for things to go wrong. As an example, any idea what happens to your fitness data from whatever app you're using? It gets stored on the companies' servers and they sell it. They claim it's only aggregated data, nothing identifiable, but I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to be comfortable with that. It's only a matter of time before companies start using that data to base coverage decisions on. It's probably already happening. Just one of many potential hazards, even if you are an angel.

(Yes, I'm older).

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I find this tends to be a generational thing. I've noticed older people have more of a problem just wantonly sharing everything with whoever, especially if they are technical. Younger folks tend to be more lemming-like and have no problem sharing their entire existence online. I think it is due in part to a lack of understanding the technology, or what companies can and do get up to.

"If you're not doing anything wrong, what are you worried about?" is a fairly typical attitude. Well, you don't have to be doing anything wrong for things to go wrong. As an example, any idea what happens to your fitness data from whatever app you're using? It gets stored on the companies' servers and they sell it. They claim it's only aggregated data, nothing identifiable, but I think you'd have to be pretty dumb to be comfortable with that. It's only a matter of time before companies start using that data to base coverage decisions on. It's probably already happening. Just one of many potential hazards, even if you are an angel.

(Yes, I'm older).
Thank you for shedding some light on this. Its just that there are so much scenarios out there that can affect our lives that people don't understand/think about from a long term perspective. I don't have all the answers but I'm aware of what hazards are real and exist. From the small to the large but most people don't care at all and brush it off. But that's life until something happens...

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
There has still yet to be an actual valid potential consequence said.

all I have heard so far is "watch out this will go bad", "dont be ignorant as things will eventually become negative", etc.

but no one seems to be able to provide a good example of what exactly can go wrong with companies having such data

I'm not saying that things CANT work against our favor, but all I've heard so far from various posters in this thread is them crying wolf... but where is the wolf?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you are going to use a smartphone in this day and age, you are going to have to get into bed with somebody, be it Google, Apple or Microsoft. SOMEONE is going to have some of your data. And it's only going to get worse from here on in.

We have been pushed into more cloud based usage but again, it's all three of the big players and it's up to us to decide who to trust or not.

For me my major concern for cloud storage is the looming hacking plague. This worries me more than any company itself. Company and govt systems are being hacked on a daily basis and that we DO need to be concerned about in my estimation.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
For me my major concern for cloud storage is the looming hacking plague. This worries me more than any company itself. Company and govt systems are being hacked on a daily basis and that we DO need to be concerned about in my estimation.
^^This^^ Most of us don't have to worry much about anyone snooping on our data due to being needles in a huge haystack. If you're not a terrorist or selling drugs on the side you probably have very little to worry about. Sure, there's a possibility that someone, somewhere is reading my email or browsing my uploaded photos and I don't like the idea, but the chances are very slim my stuff will be interesting enough to make that worthwhile. My main objection is the ever-increasing bombardment by so-called "targeted advertising" that I have zero interest in and just ruins my browsing experience in so many places. We need ad-blockers for Windows phone--I am sick of jumping and flashing ads for things I am not interested in, or pages blocked by ads that force you to click on them.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The sooner you understand nothing you do on ANY internet connected consumer device, is secure, the better.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't worry. MS are clearly depreciating Onedrive in W10 as functionality has been slashed to the bone. I think they are not as convinced by cloud storage as Bulmer MS was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs