Windows 10 update vs rootkits, which should I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Windows Central Question

Windows 10 update vs rootkits

hi, I have a Dell machine running Windows7 and I plan to upgrade to Win10 when available.

but forums say that a clean install is not exactly possible and that I will have to upgrade to Win10 and then ask for an installation reset/clean/recover (I'm not sure the name).

afaik, this clean/recover function just resets my Windows to it's original state, but this is not as effective as formatting my drive.

my concern is, for example, that if I have a virus or a rootkit, it will not be removed by the soft reset after upgrade. that's why the format and new install would be a safer thing to do

I know that by doing a clean install I might have missing/outdated driver problems, but this is a minor risk for me when compared to leaving a rootkit I could get rid of. I'm not assuming I have a virus or something, but I would love to use the opportunity to be sure of this (by formatting my system).

all this said, I whish somebody does not me suggest to do a factory reset from my recover partition. this is probably the safest thing to do, but doing this will send me back several years behind of updates to download, before I can upgrade to Win10.

since Microsoft extracts some kind of hardware signature to handle activations along with hardware changes, is it really absolute sure that a clean install from an ISO using my OEM license will not possible?

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 update vs rootkits

Not sure rumor has it that perhaps once the windows 10 has been downloaded and installed. That you should be able to get an ISO image downloaded to address the clean install problem. Cause it would be crazy for me running windows 7 install that first every time I needed to reinstall windows because of whatever reason. I heard that maybe how they get around this problem on a podcast. But they weren't 100% sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium