I have currently windows 8 running. I know I wont be able to upgrade to Windows 10 directly. I will be upgrading via create installation media (DVD). I tried via store previously and again rolled back because it would prompt me that some files are missing, although the OS was working but I had system metro apps broken so upgrading via DVD iso. Now my question is : I have windows 8 genuine copy which came preinstalled by my OEM (HP) and I dont have serial key. If the installation asks me for a key where would I get it from. 2. Would using programs which identify our OS keys are safe? 3. If they misuse my key and somebody would use that key to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do is that possible?
    saavn likes this.
    06-29-2015 10:15 AM
    1. Is there no key on the bottom of the laptop? or underneath the battery?
    2. No
    3. Possible I suppose but I haven't experienced it.
    PratikMade likes this.
    06-29-2015 11:09 AM
    Did you trying performing a "Reset" on the Windows 8 installation.
    PratikMade likes this.
    06-29-2015 08:55 PM
    Windows 8 and above have the key for windows embedded in the bios. Activation SHOULD be automatic. From what I have read though having 8.1 is a requirement to upgrading to 10.

2. Not required
    3. Not possible since the original activation of windows uploads a hardware id to Microsoft which locks the, in this case windows 8, code to your specific device. If you try to use it on another device it will just fail.
    PratikMade likes this.
    06-29-2015 09:24 PM
    1. Is there no key on the bottom of the laptop? or underneath the battery?
    2. No
    3. Possible I suppose but I haven't experienced it.
    No there is no key underneath my PC apart from serial id of pc.
    06-30-2015 06:22 AM
    Windows 8 and above have the key for windows embedded in the bios. Activation SHOULD be automatic. From what I have read though having 8.1 is a requirement to upgrading to 10.

2. Not required
    3. Not possible since the original activation of windows uploads a hardware id to Microsoft which locks the, in this case windows 8, code to your specific device. If you try to use it on another device it will just fail.
    I'll go forward with the creation media process and if it asks for key ill use the key finder program.
    06-30-2015 06:26 AM

2. Not required
    Actually I was talking about upgrading 8 to 8.1 I know i wont be able to upgrade directly to 10.
    06-30-2015 06:30 AM
    Thankyou all I successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1 and all my metro apps are working
    07-01-2015 09:56 AM