Partitioning for System Image Backup

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Greetings everyone,
I've not partitioned a hard drive on Windows 8/8.1. In fact, I've never partitioned a hard drive on Windows 7. The last time I partitioned a hard drive was Windows XP to dual-boot two operating systems. I'd like to partition the hard drive on my laptop in order to save a backup of my system onto it, as I don't have an external drive right now. Can someone please give me a detailed, step by step process to partition my hard drive and then back up my system onto it? I'd really appreciate it.
I have 350GB of free space.

dannilla zhang

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
1.Open Windows Disk Management by pressing "Windows + R" and typing "diskmgmt.msc". In the pop-up window, right click on a partition and select "Shrink Volume".
2.In the pop-up window, enter the amount of space to shrink.
3.Click "Shrink" and we can get an unallocated space. Then, right click on it and select "New Simple Volume". Then, we can partition a new volume in Windows 8 or 8.1 by following the guidance. More details about partitioning Windows 8 with Disk Management

Although Windows 8/8.1 Disk Management utility can partition a new volume, it still has some shortcomings. But partition manager like AOMEI Partition Assistant is a professional and advanced software to partition a hard drive in Windows 8 or 8.1, not only includes basic features, but also advanced features, such as Move Partition, Merge Partition, Disk Copy Wizard and so on. Furthermore it can work well with all Windows operating systems.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1.Open Windows Disk Management by pressing "Windows + R" and typing "diskmgmt.msc". In the pop-up window, right click on a partition and select "Shrink Volume".
3.Click "Shrink" and we can get an unallocated space. Then, right click on it and select "New Simple Volume". Then, we can partition a new volume in Windows 8 or 8.1 by following the guidance. More details about partitioning Windows 8 with Disk Management

Although Windows 8/8.1 Disk Management utility can partition a new volume, it still has some shortcomings. But partition manager like AOMEI Partition Assistant is a professional and advanced software to partition a hard drive in Windows 8 or 8.1, not only includes basic features, but also advanced features, such as Move Partition, Merge Partition, Disk Copy Wizard and so on. Furthermore it can work well with all Windows operating systems.

^ This.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Is Disk Management capable of shrinking a created partition after the fact without data loss? If so, how hard is it using Disk Management to shrink the file system, then the partition itself? I'm partitioning 150GB of my space, but eventually I'd like to shrink that down, as Windows 10 won't require nearly as much space to back up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss