Search between apps and settings

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Right now in W8.1 I can just press win key, start typing and I'm sure to have the result that I need without doing anything else. In W10 (build 162), I can't do it. Cortana shows web results first (and I'm totally not interested in them since I just want to search for apps and settings) and, to search for settings, I need to click a button below on left (don't remember the name). Searching between apps doesn't work at all (from the same frame of the settings search I can click on "Show: App" but it says that there's a problem and I need to retry later).

Since the release date is approaching, I want to think that I'm doing it wrong instead of having this key feature broken right now.

So, can you please tell me how to search between apps/settings without having to deal with web results first (causing unnecessary mouse clicks to get to the result)?

EDIT: I'm posting here because I can't even search for the Feedback app to report this..

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Of course I have it installed.
Now I'm installing the last build so I can't post a screenshot, but if I go in "My stuff" and then select the option to show only apps it says that there is a problem with search and that I should try it later.

Can you please show me a screenshot of what happens if you search for "PIN"? (I'd expect the option to replace the complex password with a 4 digits pin like in W8.1 but I can't get it in 10).

EDIT: BTW it also happens that if I search for "OneDrive" it shows the Store result instead of the desktop app.

EDIT: I think that the issue may be related to switching to SSD, which I did just before upgrading to build 162. I just disabled the indexing features on my SSD to make its life longer, so the cause should be the indexing service and not the update to 162

Gh0s7

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it was related to indexing service (which is still odd, indexing should work for files and not for settings).
Sorry for the post, I was so frustrated this morning! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon