When is SLI going to work in Windows 10 ?????

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I've used every Windows 10 so far. I'm now on Build 10166.
One issue has remained. I can't get SLI to work in Windows 10 with my 2 MSI N760 TF 2GD5OC video card's. I have Nvidia's GeForce 353.30 drivers for Windows 10 x64 installed.
This is a WHQL driver, so it's a obvious Microsoft issue. Just like my Realtek HD Audio refused to work with Realtek's R279 driver's for Windows 10 in Build 10162. My sound now work's again after installing Build 10166 yesterday.
Everyone want's to blame the hardware cimpanie's. I'm not in that boat. There's alot of thing's in 10 itself that don't work, yet they work fine in Windows 8.1 Pro.
I'd go into detail on that one, but it would take way too long to read.
10 has alot of stupid issue's and all Microsoft is interested in is adding new app's or changing name's of app's/services that suck. Xbox Music/Groove anyone.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
One issue has remained. I can't get SLI to work in Windows 10 with my 2 MSI N760 TF 2GD5OC video card's. I have Nvidia's GeForce 353.30 drivers for Windows 10 x64 installed.
This is a WHQL driver, so it's a obvious Microsoft issue. Just like my Realtek HD Audio refused to work with Realtek's R279 driver's for Windows 10 in Build 10162. My sound now work's again after installing Build 10166 yesterday.
Everyone want's to blame the hardware cimpanie's. I'm not in that boat. There's alot of thing's in 10 itself that don't work, yet they work fine in Windows 8.1 Pro.
10 has alot of stupid issue's and all Microsoft is interested in is adding new app's or changing name's of app's/services that suck. Xbox Music/Groove anyone.

Hmm which driver you're using? Did you use windows 8 driver or the new windows 10 one?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I've done my share of SLI and Crossfire setups, liquid cooling, overclocking, and everything else you can imagine.

Just because you're using a WHQL Windows 10 x64 driver doesn't mean that driver is SLI enabled. The driver does indeed have to enable this to work with the OS.

I imagine the Windows 10 drivers are incomplete and are still a work in progress.

I know we all like to blame Microsoft instead of the manufacturers, but in this particular case, it is the driver that tells the OS how to use the hardware, and the OS can't make use of SLI if the drivers don't have it enabled.

Acidphase

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

When you say it doesn't work do you mean you're not able to enable it in the Nvidia Console? or it is enabled and just not seeing any GPU usage on slave adapter?

We could use a but more information & perhaps we could help with a reference point. I'm also running Windows 10 Technical Preview and I have been able to enable SLI since the first build version I installed which I think was 9926.
I'm currently on version 10166 which so far has been the most stable which is expected so close to release. I'm wondering if your GPU architecture is the culprit, but even this doesn't sound right because I recently read an article where a guy took an older GTX 670 put in his Windows 10 box just to see what sort of performance boost he got from DirectX 12.
(He claimed he got 330% increase in performance than from DX11, we'll reserve that for another thread lol).

So that kind of throws that assumption out the window. Are you sure the drivers got installed correctly? The one thing I noticed Windows 10 doesn't like to let go of drivers, more so than the normal hurdles involved when removing drivers in Windows. I had a lot of fun with the Audio issues as well and even after adjusting the "Hardware Installation" settings preventing Windows from auto updating device drivers I still needed to disable my ethernet adapter to be completely sure lol
(FYI: After spending a day working on no Audio with builds 10158-10162, I managed to figure out you had to mess with the Audio format options to get sound back & the next day they release 10166)

Anyway here's a snippet of my Nvidia control panel clearly showing SLI is enabled with my twp 980's along with my 660Ti as a dedicated PhysX adapter. Also including a screenshot of Far Cry 4 showing that my cards are indeed working (with the exception of the 660Ti as no active physX is needed)

Nevermind I can't post links yet lol, just add the appropriate H T T P : / / and you're set.

i.imgur.com/OdiyTs9.png
i.imgur.com/xmfdye5.png

Sean Johansson

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Well first off, it's not Microsoft's problem, it's Nvidia's problem. It's Nvidia's job to make Sli work with the new O.S. Microsoft has already done their work(back 9 months ago) for Sli. Nvidia has had the time to make Sli functional in Windows 10, they just haven't gotten it right yet. Give it 3-4 more months, things will work out eventually. In the meantime I wonder how long it will take AMD to get X-fire to work? 10-12 more months probably with their horrible driver history.:cool:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well first off, it's not Microsoft's problem, it's Nvidia's problem. It's Nvidia's job to make Sli work with the new O.S. Microsoft has already done their work(back 9 months ago) for Sli. Nvidia has had the time to make Sli functional in Windows 10, they just haven't gotten it right yet. Give it 3-4 more months, things will work out eventually. In the meantime I wonder how long it will take AMD to get X-fire to work? 10-12 more months probably with their horrible driver history.:cool:

You can look at it that way. Another valid way to look at it is to say SLI in the hardware works fine with W7/8 so it's not a problem with the vid cards as they are not the variable here, they have not changed. What has W10 done to break compatibility and when will W10 be fixed so it works as well as previous versions on current, modern hardware? Not an unreasonable position to take.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can look at it that way. Another valid way to look at it is to say SLI in the hardware works fine with W7/8 so it's not a problem with the vid cards as they are not the variable here, they have not changed. What has W10 done to break compatibility and when will W10 be fixed so it works as well as previous versions on current, modern hardware? Not an unreasonable position to take.

For flips sake nVidia writes the drivers and Windows 10 is a new operating system so it's up to nVIDIA to get in the game.

P.s. I have a 690 and I can enable SLI. Seems to be working just fine.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
And MS writes the OS. The Nvidia drivers and hardware were working fine. Vid cards, SLI and Nvidia drivers are part of the current state of hardware, the environment W10 is supposed to be designed to run in. If MS want W10 to be running on such hardware, they need to get into the game as you say. Nvidia are already there, SLI already works. W10, however, only kind of works sometimes. MS may want to address that. Of course, they may not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo