Windows 10 Install from CD?

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I'm in an area where I don't have very much Wi-Fi to use (2gb per week), and I would like to download Windows 10 as soon as I can. What I'd like to be able to do is download the update file onto my work computer, burn it to a DVD, then plug in a USB DVD reader and install the update from the DVD. Does anyone have a how to guide for this? For additional detail, I am using a Surface 3 on the latest 8.1 build.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, you might be able to use the guide on the main page that was posted earlier today and turn a USB dongle into a Windows 10 installer, or just download the iso file onto the dongle itself.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Actually, you might be able to use the guide on the main page that was posted earlier today and turn a USB dongle into a Windows 10 installer, or just download the iso file onto the dongle itself.
I am not trying to dual boot with 8.1, I am trying to update over it. Is the .iso file for the final build? Additionally, what additional steps would I need to take?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to dual boot with 8.1, I am trying to update over it. Is the .iso file for the final build? Additionally, what additional steps would I need to take?
There is no "final build" yet. It will be released as an update on 7/29. I believe the latest iso available is 10162. 10166 is the latest update released.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

If you download the .iso file onto your USB, Windows 8.1 will actually run it like it was from a DVD directly from the USB stick and upgrade that way. However, like mjperry51 said, it's not the final build, as that comes out on the 29th, but it *is* very close (at this point, there's hardly any major bugs, but you still might find a small one here or there, but nothing that'll break a device). Hope this helps!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I would extract the .iso onto a USB Stick and just launch setup.exe from within Windows 8.x.

This way you don't have to worry about it being a bootable USB. The only thing you will need to make sure of is to have it in after the first reboot as it will still need files off the USB drive.

I used this option since I can use my USB3 sticks to get it to install faster. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte