How Does Windows 10 Deal with Windows 8 Apps?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
When I receive the upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th, what will happen to some of my old Windows 8.1 apps? Mainly two.
Most of the other apps such as Music, Mail, Video and such have been replaced by the newer versions on my machine. However, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer still remain. Will they still be on my machine when I upgrade to the RTM version of Windows 10? The lack of Windows Media Player in Windows 10 is depressing but not enough not to upgrade. However, I'd still quite like to keep it, because as of now Groove Music is just not as powerful as Windows Media Player for editing and organizing. And, of course, I'd like to keep Internet Explorer for legacy needs (although Edge is very nice so far besides it telling me every other word is spelled wrong when I know very well it isn't).

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When I receive the upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th, what will happen to some of my old Windows 8.1 apps? Mainly two.
Most of the other apps such as Music, Mail, Video and such have been replaced by the newer versions on my machine. However, Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer still remain. Will they still be on my machine when I upgrade to the RTM version of Windows 10? The lack of Windows Media Player in Windows 10 is depressing but not enough not to upgrade. However, I'd still quite like to keep it, because as of now Groove Music is just not as powerful as Windows Media Player for editing and organizing. And, of course, I'd like to keep Internet Explorer for legacy needs (although Edge is very nice so far besides it telling me every other word is spelled wrong when I know very well it isn't).
Internet explorer will be there. Probably in the accessories folder. I don't know about windows media player though.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
as of build 10166 windows media player is still present. Since 10240 is now available and is the technical rtm we will know for sure when it is installed. I am pretty sure these two are not going anywhere anytime soon though since they are still used in some capacity on the server side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills