An Open Letter to Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice-President, Microsoft

Evil_MrM

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I read the plans this morning for the various Windows 10 parties to be held at 13 cities throughout the world. This is a great start, but it seems you could have kicked it up a notch; I wonder if its too late.

I feel this revolution should be televised; I will use the US as an example. Microsoft should easily be able to buy an hour or two of TV time (preferably on the CW network, but you could probably buy time on basic cable and satellite channels) on July 29, hire a couple of young TV stars for the event as MCs, get a few bands to play live during the event, and do live look-ins at the 13 cites you plan to hold the parties, plus live look-ins at select stores. It could certainly get the younger audience energized, and I don't think it should cost too much money (certainly less than "Start Me Up" cost when launching Windows 95). You could pick certain strategic countries to do localized versions of the party broadcast.

Face it, Windows 10 is possibly the most important release since Windows 95; party it up!!!

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
an hour or two? hahahahahah ....Windows 10. it's just another brick in the wall ( for Windows Phone) and "the most important release since Windows95"...no one cares except some Windows users....this isn't 1995, when Windows mattered to most of the world.

Evil_MrM

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I started to respond to you with reasons why this does matter to Microsoft. Then, I read you dumbazz reply again, and realize you wouldn't get it, anyway. Good luck with your Android phone...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there would be a good enough audience to watch an hour or two, or even a half hour. In the US people would say, "Oh, infomercial." and change the channel.

However, I think Microsoft can and SHOULD saturate both television and radio with Windows 10 advertisements on that day, and keep the barrage coming for an entire week during every single slot across a large variety of channels.

Then, after that week, continue with regular advertising on television and radio in all markets. It doesn't have to be a barrage attack after that first week, but keep it front and center.

Start a new barrage attack when Windows 10 for mobile hits the market, and continue the onslaught through the end of December with commercials that emphasize how hugely important continuum can be and how it can change your life by relying on only one device instead of the many devices that Apple wants you to purchase.

Hit again with a maelstrom of attacks when HoloLens hits market.

Make sure that Microsoft looks strong, cool, and on the cutting edge in everything. With Windows 10 and the new features such as Windows Hello, Cortana, Edge Browser that in itself is cutting edge that no other OS can yet do. Put Windows 10 for mobile continuum in that mix and add HoloLens on top of that and there isn't another company in the world that can hold a candle to what Microsoft has accomplished. Microsoft needs to tout that long and hard between Windows 10 launch and the end of the year.

Will they? I just wish...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep some advertising would be great but ....
As far as I know "only" the insiders will get the official W10 on July 29. The rest of use will get it "later". So "too" much advertising can also back fire because people who do not "get it" will start complaining.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Support this idea.

Should focus more on real use cases of Windows 10 (familiar & customizable start menu, snapping & multiple desktops, cortanna, continuum, etc). Should give the audience the confidence that "yes, Windows 10, it's the Windows I am familiar with plus cool features. I like it, am going to upgrade".

I don't agree that Windows is something people do not "matter" today. In fact, quite many friends around me want to know more about Windows 10.

It is true that people today are more passive towards understanding new versions of Windows. So it makes sense to take an active approach to "let them know more".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven