The Onedrive for Windows 10 complaint/request thread.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Not everyone depends on Onedrive or uses it on a daily basis. But for those who do, Onedrive for Windows 10 has taken a step backwards. Onedrive in Windows 10 has completely removed placeholders which is a huge deal. You can no longer download individual files on to your device but are required to sync the entire folder. Also because there are no placeholders you cannot SEE what or where individual files are. For someone who uses a surface with limited space i enjoyed the ability to click and download just the files i need and ONLY those files. That's gone in Windows 10. I understand why Microsoft removed placeholders because for the average non-technical user they thought those files were on their computer when they were just up in the cloud. Ok, fine. So how about this, make it by default that only the folders you sync show up on your computer but have an OPTION (a setting) that you can choose (if you know what you are doing) to make placeholders appear and then use them. Also there is no way to see what files are uploading or downloading because the onedrive app is gone and doesn't work with Windows 10. And whats up with all those check marks next to every file and folder in onedrive? Is that really necessary. If only the folders/files that are downloaded on your pc show up then why have a check next to each one? Seems overkill.

So my requests are.
-Settings or ability to allow for placeholders
-Ability to pause and resume uploading/download to save bandwidth
-Bandwidth/speed meter for files being uploaded and downloaded
-Remove check marks next to all files and folders and replace with (available offline/online) similar to 8.1
-Individual sync settings for tiles/layout/background/theme/etc as in 8.1
-Ability to sync other folders such as Music Downloads Videos Pictures that are not in the Onedrive folder location

So post your requests, opinions, complaints, reasons below!

It appears there are A LOT of upvotes for Onedrive placeholders and downloading individual files as well as app requests in the feedback app. But Microsoft just isn't listening.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Probably best to use a cloud storage service that has a Windows app. Such as Drop Box. Unless MS decide to allow the Onedrive app to install on W10 all you can do is rely on the web site or use W8 if you want to hang on with Onedrive.

Phong Nguyen Hong

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Not everyone depends on Onedrive or uses it on a daily basis. But for those who do, Onedrive for Windows 10 has taken a step backwards. Onedrive in Windows 10 has completely removed placeholders which is a huge deal. You can no longer download individual files on to your device but are required to sync the entire folder. Also because there are no placeholders you cannot SEE what or where individual files are. For someone who uses a surface with limited space i enjoyed the ability to click and download just the files i need and ONLY those files. That's gone in Windows 10. I understand why Microsoft removed placeholders because for the average non-technical user they thought those files were on their computer when they were just up in the cloud. Ok, fine. So how about this, make it by default that only the folders you sync show up on your computer but have an OPTION (a setting) that you can choose (if you know what you are doing) to make placeholders appear and then use them. Also there is no way to see what files are uploading or downloading because the onedrive app is gone and doesn't work with Windows 10. And whats up with all those check marks next to every file and folder in onedrive? Is that really necessary. If only the folders/files that are downloaded on your pc show up then why have a check next to each one? Seems overkill.

So my requests are.
-Settings or ability to allow for placeholders
-Ability to pause and resume uploading/download to save bandwidth
-Bandwidth/speed meter for files being uploaded and downloaded
-Remove check marks next to all files and folders and replace with (available offline/online) similar to 8.1
-Individual sync settings for tiles/layout/background/theme/etc as in 8.1
-Ability to sync other folders such as Music Downloads Videos Pictures that are not in the Onedrive folder location

So post your requests, opinions, complaints, reasons below!

It appears there are A LOT of upvotes for Onedrive placeholders and downloading individual files as well as app requests in the feedback app. But Microsoft just isn't listening.

Same opinion like me

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft don't read the forums here for feedback. Although people are welcome to respond to this post, it's not likely anything will come of the feedback.

By all means collect information from people here and request/feedback through the official OneDrive feedback portal at

https://onedrive.uservoice.com

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok thank you pete. But then why do we have specific threads dedicated to requests/wishlist like in the mobile section if Microsoft never reads the forums here for feedback?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok thank you pete. But then why do we have specific threads dedicated to requests/wishlist like in the mobile section if Microsoft never reads the forums here for feedback?

Because, going by the size of the feedback request threads posted on the MS feedback system begging for a decent touch mode in W10, MS pay as much attention to feedback here as they do through their official channels. That being very little. May as well post here and discuss with friends as post anywhere else.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
About the only option right now is to create a working directory within onedrive and move things in and out as you need it.

on a ide note, I actually am quite surprised by the amount of Microsoft personnel that actually DO frequent this site.

gedmurphy

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Removing placeholders in Windows 10 has just killed OneDrive for me.

I have 15GB of free space on my surface, and 180GB of files in my OneDrive account. I like to keep ~15GB of space free for the OS, which means I can't "selectively sync" any of my files from OneDrive. But even if I was willing to drop to 5GB of free space, I still can't sync all of my files.

I'm absolutely amazed that Microsoft thought this was a good idea. I have no other choice now than to move all my files off of OneDrive and onto another cloud storage service.

Very annoyed :(

Krazeh

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
MS have previously said that they fully intend to bring back placeholders. At the moment they're in the process of unifying three separate OneDrive sync engines into one that can cover both consumer and business OneDrive and all OSes. All of which can be found out by doing a quick google search...

Ken Stanley

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat....... loved and used OneDrive with windows 8 on a daily basis. This wont work for me. I have to think there will be a fix quick. Otherwise for me OneDrive is unusable.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Removing placeholders in Windows 10 has just killed OneDrive for me.

I have 15GB of free space on my surface, and 180GB of files in my OneDrive account. I like to keep ~15GB of space free for the OS, which means I can't "selectively sync" any of my files from OneDrive. But even if I was willing to drop to 5GB of free space, I still can't sync all of my files.

I'm absolutely amazed that Microsoft thought this was a good idea. I have no other choice now than to move all my files off of OneDrive and onto another cloud storage service.

Very annoyed :(

There is a couple work arounds that I came up with. It's not optimal but it works.

1. For the files you want to sync "selectively" create individual folders for those files or groups of files. You can do this on another PC that has all your files synced or you can do this at onedrive dot com. Once this is done then you can check or uncheck individual FOLDERS to be synced or not with onedrive. This way you can still download/sync any files you want. It is a bit more of a hassle but it works. Onedrive still lets you individually sync folders within onedrive and folders within folders. The drawback is you cant see what is in those folders until it is downloaded so you have to know what is in those files. To sync folders, right click on the cloud in the taskbar and choose "Settings>Choose folders (tab)>Choose folders (button)

2. Another option is to go to onedrive dot com and download individual files from the website. This always works if you are in a pinch and need just one file that is important but you don't know where it is (with windows 10) and don't want to download the entire folder in which its located.

insurancebroker

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I just upgraded my original Surface Pro to Windows 10 and Microsoft has now made it completely useless as a PC. In fact, it's not much good as a tablet either. I checked out the new photo app. Can't add my one drive picture folder to the library. Checked out the Groove music app. Can't add my music. I pay $99 a year for Office 365 Home with unlimited OneDrive storage and now I can't even see the files. Luckily, this is not my main computer. However, I was thinking of getting a Surface Pro 4 when it comes out. If Microsoft does not add the placeholder (or similar) functionally back, I will be sticking with my Windows 7 desktop and I will not be spending any money on a PC that is essentially useless to me. Rant over.

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It sounds fishy that a huge corporation like this would kill a feature. They could afford to have seamlessly moved to windows 10 while retaining all functionality.

I will happily stick to windows 8.1 for the time being. I refuse to be forced into either carrying a portable hard drive, or upgrading my PC to something with a bigger internal drive.

I pity all of the hapless users who had no clue that moving to windows 10 would impact their productivity. Isn't Microsoft all about improved productivity? I guess that my tablet will somehow have to be rolled back to 8.1, what a waste of my time.

I spoke with customer care who informed me that they are receiving a lot of complaints. Their solution was that I delete files from my system and sync everything, but I can't do that with my tablet. I had been thinking of getting a Surface, but I wont do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes