windowscentral and Edge performance

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I was not sure where exactly posting this would be OK, so I am placing it here.

The performance of windowscentral.com is awful in edge browser, either a desktop or a mobile version. While pages from competition like engadget just work blazing fast, windowscentral loads and loads and loads.

For example on my mobile, L620 - 512MB device, I cant event load it up, it crashes my browser, while engadget works like a dream. And a lot of other sites work great on mobile edge.

I dont know if this is connected with all the adds that are being run on the windowscentral or the page is poorly optimized, but I think this is a bad PR for a site that is purely about windows.

PS, I hope posting a name of a competition site is not against forum ToS, I do apologize if it is.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately Windows Central website and forums have A LOT of ads, banners, and sponsored content all over the place that hog down any browser performance on any computer/smartphone.

Solution -> Enable an efficient Ad-Blocker.

On 8.1 there are Tracking Protection Lists for Metro.IE11, while on Edge the only fully working Ad-Blocker is AdGuard at the moment (hoping and waiting to see TPLs official support or official Edge Extensions to come).

With those enabled, WPC flies. :)

Talking about phones, on Windows Phone there's IE Data Saving/Compression that you can set to "High" and nothing more you can do about it for now, while on Android there's "Adguard app" that does the trick.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome :)
Keep in mind that AdGuard desktop is shareware (you have to pay after trail ends), while AdGuard extension is Free (but do not support IE or Edge).

We all hope TPLs will officially arrive both for Desktop and Mobile Edge as soon as possible.
What is official is that official "Extensions" will arrive both for Edge Desktop and Edge Mobile (for the last one we have to wait longer), and hopefully Adguard team will release the official AdGuard Edge Extension too (for Free) ;)

For now I will stick with Adguard desktop on W10

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Or you could do what I did, in the forums page on the right, you will notice 2 "x" . hit those and your ads are gone too.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Most of internet ads can't be closed.
They are usually forced down your throat, and even more is what you can't even see that tracks almost anything you do on that webpage.

Adblockers stop all that, saving bandwith, privacy and ultimately performance. Most of them for free.

The best (maybe the only one) fully working with Edge on W10 right now is: AdGuard.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I notice one problem that has existed since the first edge intro. When I try and post in WC, I'll be typing along when it stops and closes the topic I'm trying to respond to. It seems to be character count problem but not sure.

Has anyone else seen this happening to them/ It doesn't seem to happen on other sites I visit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs