If I say Hey Cortana on multiple devices that have Cortana on it will each device wake up to the response if they are in close proximity?

anon(9022242)

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
"Hey Cortana" on multiple devices.

Not sure if this has been covered anywhere? I'll be running Cortana on 2 Window's phones, 2 laptops, 1 desktop, Xbox One, and 3 tablets. All 9 of these will pretty much be in the same area. What happens when I say "Hey Cortana"? Do I have 9 devices waking up to respond? Curious if anyone knows if there will be a way to control this? Or, will I have Cortana in some crazy surround sound setup?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
If you're close enough to all of them at once, and say it clearly enough with enough volume, then yeah all of your devices will respond. However, the only Windows Phones that support "Hey Cortana' are the 930 and 1520, and a lot of laptops, desktops and tablets don't have an optimized microphone, so "Hey Cortana" responsiveness isn't guaranteed to be smooth.
You can control it by turning "Hey Cortana" off on the devices you don't need it on.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
double-facepalm-when-one-facepalm-is-just-not-enough.jpg

Do you really have both phones on standby or in use? My other phone is near me but not powered on. It doesn't support "Hey Cortana" in any event.

Do you really have 2 laptops and a desktop in use or sleeping? Why, for crying in the mud?

Ditto 3 tablets?

Xbox One?

All in the one small room where your voice reaches clearly to every corner when speaking in a normal volume???

I don't think this is as much of an issue as you think it is at the moment.

Searou

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have personally found that if I am near both my laptop and Nokia 1520 they both turn on. You could avoid this by turning off hey Cortana on devices which you wouldn't want to have respond, or just turn on battery saver which is temporary.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
You sound like you don't want nine Cortana's at your service!

It's a new feature in light of Halo 4's ending.

Every man ever wants many women at his beck and call. Then every man gets a girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend/husband) and eventually decides that one is far more than enough!

That is all.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I was wondering about this one too. I use Hey Cortana all the time on my ICON when my phone is in my pocket. So I am sitting at my Windows 10 desktop with the microphone about the same distance as my phone. I did It a few times and the both went out.

Right now not an issue because "Hey Cortana" does not work on Windows 10 Phone 10166 so not a problem now but, it will be

Every man ever wants many women at his beck and call. Then every man gets a girlfriend or wife (or boyfriend/husband) and eventually decides that one is far more than enough!

That is all.

True that... Could not agree more...

AtomskNox

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I actually also have this problem, when I sit at my desk at home.
My desk has my desktop and I usually have my laptop off to the left to look up things while I work in Maya.
My Xbox one is also hooked up to the tv that is not too far in front of my desk.
Seeing how this is my living room, my wife's laptop, surface, and windows phone could also be in the room.
On any average say of " Hey Cortana" I usually set off both laptops my desktop the Xbox one and my wife's surface.
I could turn it off on most things however I like it on my desktop and my Xbox as my wife uses it to change shows and I use it to change songs while I work. Also I use it frequently when working from my laptop so would be annoying to turn it on and off on that.
I do have the laptop and desktop set to "try and respond only to me" however I have had it respond to my wife sneezing so don't know how well that works...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon