Is there a tech head who can help me with this confusion about drivers and BIOS

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the Windows 10 build 10240 Everything is running fine ATM on the HP envy convertible.

In the device driver under the driver details most drivers show the year 2006!! and the HP page shows 2014.
When I updated one driver the version number dropped a few numbers and when I look up auto update the driver updates to the higher number and when I try to look for updates with the default drivers that the build installed it says all the driver is up to date.!!
The Bios version on my device shows F12 from 2013 while the HP site shows F14A 2015. While I try to update the BIOS the Flashing utility tries to update it but then shows an error no WMI or something similar about missing WMI.

What is with the year 2006 in the driver details? I am to think the old drivers dates are just an oversight?
What Do I? Leave the BIOS and drivers alone as everything is fine or try to update it?

Cheers
S

Cheers

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Usually those drivers that are installed are the latest versions available because nothing has changes since 2006. Most of the time the "newer" ones that your computer Manufacture releases, is just a repackage of what's already available just with their signature stamps. Usually the safest thing to do is, install the ones from the manufacturers site if Windows finds an update just let it update.

Now with the Bios usually the best way to upgrade them is through the Bios them self and not to use a program. New devices have bios updated through Windows Updates and sometimes their own programs but I tend to like to do it the old way. Updating the bios can fix things but if you don't know what you're doing it can destroy your system if a install fails or something goes wrong. If it's a newer system that has UEIF Bios and it boots fast that you can't see the press this button to enter bios option, then try these steps.

1. Hold the shift key and click restart from the start menu.
2. This should now take you to a blue screen with options, click advance options.
3. You may need to click show more options depends on your screen resolution on how many options are shown if not go to step 4.
4. Select UEFI Bios option and let the computer reboot you into the BIOS

Once their, you should have an option somewhere in the BIOS that will allow you to install a updates version.

Now to do so, place the new bios on a flash drive. Make sure the drive is also set to a FAT32 formate or else it won't read the file correctly.

Have any more questions let me know.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
screenshot3.jpgscreenshot1.jpgscreenshot2.jpg
Usually those drivers that are installed are the latest versions available because nothing has changes since 2006. Most of the time the "newer" ones that your computer Manufacture releases, is just a repackage of what's already available just with their signature stamps. Usually the safest thing to do is, install the ones from the manufacturers site if Windows finds an update just let it update.

Now with the Bios usually the best way to upgrade them is through the Bios them self and not to use a program. New devices have bios updated through Windows Updates and sometimes their own programs but I tend to like to do it the old way. Updating the bios can fix things but if you don't know what you're doing it can destroy your system if a install fails or something goes wrong. If it's a newer system that has UEIF Bios and it boots fast that you can't see the press this button to enter bios option, then try these steps.

1. Hold the shift key and click restart from the start menu.
2. This should now take you to a blue screen with options, click advance options.
3. You may need to click show more options depends on your screen resolution on how many options are shown if not go to step 4.
4. Select UEFI Bios option and let the computer reboot you into the BIOS

Once their, you should have an option somewhere in the BIOS that will allow you to install a updates version.

Now to do so, place the new bios on a flash drive. Make sure the drive is also set to a FAT32 formate or else it won't read the file correctly.

Have any more questions let me know.

As I have tried this before, It shows the latest on HP website I have updated with their recommended installer. After the restart the automatic update took it back to where it was with the install. What I find curious is the driver date on the system shows 2006 and the HP website shows 2014. Obviously there is some difference between the two. I am not sure what it is.

As far as the BIOS is concerned The insydeflash utility is the recommended one from HP website and the installer that they supply with. The only thing while installing it shows "no WMI". What do I do about the WMI thing?
Please check attached files. If you need screenshot from HP website I can organise that. Please let me know.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999