Windows 10 RTM- Time to tap STOP INSIDER BUILDS?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
are v going to get any more builds or this is one which will be delivered to all. Whn will it be right time to enable "STOP INSIDERS BUILDS"

My understanding is that the Insider programme will continue, and will instead beta test updates/features before they download to standard users via Windows Update.

Or I might be wrong...

G.

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
They will stop Windows Insider temporarily short before July 29th. That's to give way to the official release, and free up their servers. After the rollout, they would still continue the Windows insider program as Windows 10 is the last os, but won't stop improving. The insider will still continue as a way to get feedback from insiders for newer updates.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Ya.. But if we want to opt out of same and be on Windows 10 stable build .. Whn is it right time to do so??

As @mjyumping mentioned; the Insider programme will be paused for a time, so can only assume Fast, Slow & General Release will all be on the same build until the Insider Programme restarts.

So opt-out when Insider is paused. Or opt-out now (if you're on 10240) as you'll be the RTM build, any updates will then come via Windows Update as normal.

G.

Scott Bradley

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure how that works. There is a "Stop Insider Builds" button on the Update & Security -> Advanced Options screen. But I think I remember reading you need to provide a license number for a qualifying version of Windows to authenticate the version.

How does it handle a Home version license running a Pro version insider build? I don't know, it might require you to download and install an "upgrade"

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure how that works. There is a "Stop Insider Builds" button on the Update & Security -> Advanced Options screen. But I think I remember reading you need to provide a license number for a qualifying version of Windows to authenticate the version.

How does it handle a Home version license running a Pro version insider build? I don't know, it might require you to download and install an "upgrade"

If previous Windows installs are anything to go off of, I think you'll have to downgrade or something to the Home edition (if that's possible)
I don't think it'll accept a Home key for a Pro install. I'd love to see it automatically downgrade, but I doubt that's the case.

VARUNGUPTA16061992

May 26, 2014
Visit site
If previous Windows installs are anything to go off of, I think you'll have to downgrade or something to the Home edition (if that's possible)
I don't think it'll accept a Home key for a Pro install. I'd love to see it automatically downgrade, but I doubt that's the case.
That's the issue.. And license number??? I have OEM copy of Windows 8. I don't have any product key .. As there is no COA certificate like it was with Windows Vista. How will I enter license number??

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm opting out on Insider builds for my primary desktop. I will dual boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 (10 for games only, as I use Windows Media Center almost every day). Staying out of the Preview as I want a solid RTM release on this machine.

I will keep on the preview program on a VM...

I am installing a key of Windows 7 Professional that I have but don't use to take the 10 update on.. Going to try to do this today.

robbattaglia

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I just installed 10240 last night and was converted to a full version - the notation about being on a DP build that usually shows in the bottom corner of the screen no longer shows up. But, I have had a lot of problems with Cortana. I am running it on a Surface Pro 3. I can't get Cortana to configure. When I click on the hamburger button to turn Cortana on it says Welcome Back, Let's pick up where you left off. I then agree to the privacy statement and continue. Next it wants to be able to see my contacts. I click on Settings but the three items in the Privacy area under Contacts are all on and grayed out with not option to continue. So Cortana seems to be stuck in a loop and will not allow me to configure. I did go to the Advanced option in Windows Updates and opted out of future insider builds so that Windows Updates could send me normal ones now that I am on the RTM but I still can't get Cortana to configure. It was working with an earlier build and I heard something about 10166 having a problem with Cortana but I am now on a full copy. The odd thing is that it did not ask me for a license key for Window 8.1 once I turned off the insider program - it just restarted and seems to be fine with the license that it has. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720