Have a read, you won't be disappointed!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 920 is ugly, so yah i'm disappointed :p

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know a guy who says his children are the most beautiful children in the world. I just smile and nod. I have often felt those children could frighten a scare crow, but they will always be loved. You may not see any beauty there, another may be blindly in love with it. I can't say as I've never seen one in person.

Then again, I like my wife and children to be beautiful, but I like my phones to be functional. I'm going to hide my phone in a dual-layer armor case anyway. ;)

I am sprinkling this with a lot of grains of salt. This sounds more like rumor mongering than anything.
A wise precaution, as always. Until something is official from the maker of a product, it's always best to hear what is said, then wait and see. Speculation can be fun, but it's like riding on a stationary bicycle. You can log a lot of miles and never really get anywhere. ;)

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, I have learnt little from this thread. Not really giving me anything.

<begin sarcastic rant, just for the fun of it.>
Well, I've learned a lot from this thread:
1. User Westarmy works for a large European retailer.
2. juanitoriv thinks that's sweet.
3. someone2639 suddenly wants to work retail?
4. You can buy 4 640s for the price of an 830, even though the 830 isn't 4 times as good.
5. poopyfinger thinks your phone is ugly. (what poopyfinger said, not me.) Well, not your phone specifically, just the model you list in your sig.

It's okay, peachy. I don't think your phone is ugly.

I officially announce the mood has been lightened in this thread. ;)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Quality!

I agree, my 920 is nice. Oddly Daniel R suggests the new flagships are more like the 830.

On the upside, I knew as soon as I saw the title that I would be disappointed. At least I know that my spider sense still works.

Nice summary dog, you have covered everything.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, 810 v1.2 (or maybe 1.2.1?) Could be another "fix", but I doubt it solves the heat issue completely.

Apparently some phones have reduced the heat problems with a fix in the firmware. Perhaps Microsoft has figured some of that out. Then again, perhaps the docking station for the phones have a cooling fan. ;)

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Docking station! Yikes.

Yeah, docking station. Didn't you read that in the write-up about Cityman? Optional Docking Station, optional Surface Pen, etc.

Can't you see a sidewalk vendor running point of sale from this phone, having you sign the screen with the surface pen? I wouldn't do it. Someone might run off with the phone and pen.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, saw Munchkin. Your comment reminded me of those awful cooling contraptions that some 360 owners bought. Man, I was not a fan.

Do I get the Talkman or Cityman?

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I can't imagine how they could put a cooling solution in a docking station and make it pretty or make it look cool. Unless they used liquid nitrogen cooling pipes and cool looking heat sink fins. Haha! Then the cooling block could optionally also be a Qi charger. ROFL (Yes, I know that's not technically possible to Qi charge through a liquid nitrogen cooling block. I've actually used those for overclocking CPUs and GPUs.)

You get the Cityman. Just send a money order to me at triple the retail price once released. (My wife and I will both take one as well.)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know a guy who says his children are the most beautiful children in the world. I just smile and nod. I have often felt those children could frighten a scare crow, but they will always be loved. You may not see any beauty there, another may be blindly in love with it. I can't say as I've never seen one in person.

Then again, I like my wife and children to be beautiful, but I like my phones to be functional. I'm going to hide my phone in a dual-layer armor case anyway. ;)

A wise precaution, as always. Until something is official from the maker of a product, it's always best to hear what is said, then wait and see. Speculation can be fun, but it's like riding on a stationary bicycle. You can log a lot of miles and never really get anywhere. ;)
Yes and iit's simply my opinion no doubt. The problem is that you can cater to the 3% that thinks it looks good or to the majority that would prefer an iPhone. You need style and functionality. Iphone is already releasing force touch tech on new phones. How can ios be ported once that happens? games especially will start taking advantage of the different level of force being applied. anyways guess upgrade amount should be low since most bought a new iPhone recently as shown by iphone 6 insane sales. Who knows what developers will do with that.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Who knows what developers will do with that.

Kind of like Kinect. It was a great idea and added great functionality, but too few people owned it at first for developers to do anything about it. Developers wanted to wait until enough people wanted it, and people wanted to wait until there were enough games for it, and Microsoft wound up taking it out of the package. It's still nice, but not used much.

Apple is concentrating on making touch better for iOS, while at the same time they still don't think touch is a good idea on a laptop. That simply means they won't ever be able to make their ecosystem as cohesive as Windows 10 will be across all devices. That's how I see it.

I agree with you that style and form need to be included with function. The plastic cases are great for the budget minded like myself, but there are those willing to pay a premium to get a nicer looking phone.

Why do people pay more for a nicer looking phone? It's an accessory. It's something people see that you have and that you carry with you. Like a woman's purse. Sure, a woman wants her purse to be functional, but she has to find one that is appealing to her eye. A man who likes to wear suits would rather wear Armani if he can afford it instead of a lesser brand. Well, not all brands are lesser brands on suits, but there are a number of "lesser" brands out there for men. They don't want to get a suit off the rack in the "mix and match" section at Sears. They want to go to a high end retailer.

People buying shoes want something stylish and/or cool. What about watches? For many years, when I wore a watch regularly, I wore a 18K gold Seiko watch. It kept perfect time and lost 1 second over a period of nearly 10 years. That was form, function, and style. It wasn't a $10,000 Rolex, but to me it looked as good and was extremely functional.

Yeah, phones need to look good. My point is, just because a phone isn't looking like a $10,000 Rolex doesn't mean it's ugly. I just don't like to insult other people's children. ;)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, phones need to look good. My point is, just because a phone isn't looking like a $10,000 Rolex doesn't mean it's ugly. I just don't like to insult other people's children. ;)

No you're right. Sorry I made it seem like a universal truth. Everyone has different tastes. I prefer a different fashion approach to my phones closer to the iphone. I believe they will not sacrifice design at any cost but will let some functionality go but that's how they have always done it. I want Microsoft to not sacrifice design nor functionality. So hope that happens. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes